Venezuela may try to grab over half of Guyana

Started by Uberhaus, December 06, 2023, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Quote from: steve58 on December 08, 2023, 11:08:18 AM
QuoteThe United States announced joint military flight drills in Guyana on Thursday as tensions over a contested oil-rich region with neighbor Venezuela prompted the U.N. Security Council to call an urgent meeting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guyana-venezuela-conflict-essequibo-oil-us-military-flight-drills/
That's good news.

Tripoli

Quote from: Uberhaus on December 08, 2023, 05:11:29 PM
QuoteThe United States announced joint military flight drills in Guyana on Thursday as tensions over a contested oil-rich region with neighbor Venezuela prompted the U.N. Security Council to call an urgent meeting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guyana-venezuela-conflict-essequibo-oil-us-military-flight-drills/
That's good news.

While its good news, I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that there may be some orchestration being done IRT all the crises happening now.  Ukraine. Israel. Venezuela.  Fortunately, the Straits of Taiwan will be too rough until about April to land troops.  However, if some of these crises don't simmer down, the US may find itself very distracted around then.  I'm not saying this is happening, I'm more saying it is worth keeping a "weather eye" out on this possibility.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Uberhaus

Quote from: Windigo on December 08, 2023, 12:51:36 PMSend African peacekeepers in; spread cholera around and set up/equip multiple little warlord kingdoms like they did in Haiti.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2213908
QuotePhylogenetic analysis of more than 1200 isolates revealed that the 2022 Haiti isolate was closely related to the 2010 Nepal isolate that was the origin of the initial outbreak. The 2022 isolate belongs to a subclade of Haiti V. cholerae isolates that originated in 2013 during the previous epidemic and is divergent from 2013 strains from Mexico that were thought to have spread from Haiti, as well as from currently circulating Bangladesh isolates.

General Dallaire wrote very highly of Ghanian troops in Shake Hands with the Devil, they would have accomplished what he proposed to do in Rwanda.  Senegalese troops have a long record of accomplishment, and I'm sure the Kenyans will do just fine in Haiti, probably a lot better than MINUSTAH did.

Uberhaus

Quote from: Tripoli on December 08, 2023, 05:17:16 PM
Quote from: Uberhaus on December 08, 2023, 05:11:29 PM

That's good news.

While its good news, I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that there may be some orchestration being done IRT all the crises happening now.  Ukraine. Israel. Venezuela.  Fortunately, the Straits of Taiwan will be too rough until about April to land troops.  However, if some of these crises don't simmer down, the US may find itself very distracted around then.  I'm not saying this is happening, I'm more saying it is worth keeping a "weather eye" out on this possibility.

Overwhelm the US' two theatre capabilities?  Obviously you are watching for a build up of invasion forces.

Any opinion on Venezuela's naval landing capabilities and marines?  (See what I did there!)

Windigo

Quote from: Uberhaus on December 08, 2023, 05:42:56 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 08, 2023, 12:51:36 PMSend African peacekeepers in; spread cholera around and set up/equip multiple little warlord kingdoms like they did in Haiti.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2213908
QuotePhylogenetic analysis of more than 1200 isolates revealed that the 2022 Haiti isolate was closely related to the 2010 Nepal isolate that was the origin of the initial outbreak. The 2022 isolate belongs to a subclade of Haiti V. cholerae isolates that originated in 2013 during the previous epidemic and is divergent from 2013 strains from Mexico that were thought to have spread from Haiti, as well as from currently circulating Bangladesh isolates.

General Dallaire wrote very highly of Ghanian troops in Shake Hands with the Devil, they would have accomplished what he proposed to do in Rwanda.  Senegalese troops have a long record of accomplishment, and I'm sure the Kenyans will do just fine in Haiti, probably a lot better than MINUSTAH did.

You motivated me to do some research, Nepal indeed seems to be the source.
thanks largely to the investigations of journalist Jonathan M. Katz and epidemiologist Renaud Piarroux,[10] it is widely believed to be the result of contamination by infected United Nations peacekeepers deployed from Nepal.[11]
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Good news again.  I'm curious as to what promises, concessions, and threats (US & Brazil) were made.

Windigo

US & Brazil - said to Venezuela while polishing cruise missiles, "Hey! Not in our backyard, thanks!"
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

This looks like a piece of the 'how many wars can the U.S. police successfully at once' scenario unfolding.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on February 10, 2024, 11:39:04 AMThis looks like a piece of the 'how many wars can the U.S. police successfully at once' scenario unfolding.

not many with Congress acting as it is.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.