More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

"Oh crap, I forgot 'holiday' is a religious word!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Tpek

And for those of us who don't get it?
(Probably because I'm not watching American news channels a lot)

bayonetbrant

There's a 'controversy' here (because some people walk around just looking for stuff to get pissed off about) because Starbucks is using plain red cups for the holiday season over here.  In past years they've been decorated with snowflakes or snowmen or other winter symbols.  Some agitators are claiming that Starbucks is joining this fake "war on Christmas" that they've conjured up over the years by removing "Christmas" symbols from their cups.  Never mind that Starbucks still sells "Christmas Blend" coffee in their stores alongside gift cards that say "Merry Christmas".
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Con

Are those communist cups for your stern Uncle Joe Stalin Coffee

Staggerwing

Or maybe the red is for the blood of all the human sacrifices conducted during the heathen Winter Solstice festivals that the religio-political fringe would have us believe are supplanting Christmas, with the tacit approval from the Federal Bureaucracy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Con, Unka Joe's preferred beverage was vodka with RED pepper flakes.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Tpek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 12, 2015, 06:01:42 AM
There's a 'controversy' here (because some people walk around just looking for stuff to get pissed off about) because Starbucks is using plain red cups for the holiday season over here.  In past years they've been decorated with snowflakes or snowmen or other winter symbols.  Some agitators are claiming that Starbucks is joining this fake "war on Christmas" that they've conjured up over the years by removing "Christmas" symbols from their cups.  Never mind that Starbucks still sells "Christmas Blend" coffee in their stores alongside gift cards that say "Merry Christmas".

How are snowflakes and snowmen unique associated with a holiday?
They're just normal things in cold regions during the winter.

I know people in the U.S are oft considered over-sensitive, but being offended by snow is quite a silly thing  :))

Barthheart

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on November 11, 2015, 04:27:16 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on November 11, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2015, 12:59:58 PM
Of course, they still sell cards saying "Merry Christmas" and still sell a "Christmas Blend". But that loops back around to why they'd remove stuff from the cups for those reasons. It's inconsistent.

FYI Starbucks sells the very same "Christmas Blend" labeled in a "Holiday Blend" package for those folks who are offended by the notion of Christmas in any way, shape or form  ::)  :uglystupid2: :P

Hmmm. That gives me an idea.

We need to come up with a new brand. The brand name is "If You're Offended."

We'll sell everything that proves to be an alternative to offensive products. So, if you're offended by a "Christmas Blend" coffee, we'll sell you a "Holiday Blend." If you're offended by "Holiday Blend" we'll sell you an "Everyday Blend." If you're offended by "Everyday Blend" then we'll sell you an "Unremarkably Unique Day" blend.

It will be awesome.

^This, and actually producing those Gullibility Test machines.  Oh we'd be in the money!  >:D
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

OK, back to silly stuff...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 12, 2015, 06:01:42 AM

That is certainly one side of it. The other side is that instead of saying, "In the past couple of years we've been phasing out extra decorations on our cups as a cost-cutting measure", or if that sounds too negative saying nothing at all, Starbucks management decided to send out a press release lauding themselves for doing this as a favor to their customers, using rhetoric fairly similar to language used by people hot to neutralize any public expression of specifically "Christian" religious meanings for the holiday.

And then doubled down with a second press release using the same kind of language again.

Inadvertently or not (and the second press release couldn't have been too inadvertent), they hopped on a particular side of that cultural issue by how they described the favor they were doing for their customers by printing slightly cheaper cups (which do admittedly fit better for a worldwide company than winter iconography, since the Southern Hemisphere is going into summer during Christmas season. I'm assuming they're planning to use these cups worldwide and not, for example, use Valentine Day-ish themed cups in Japan since that's how most people there treat Christmas season.)

Like Bart said, cretins like the Donald aren't helping. All Starbucks really deserved was some fun poked at their pompous marketing campaign. (Thus the Pix For A Laugh provided above, on topic.  8) )

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on November 12, 2015, 04:50:26 AM
And for those of us who don't get it?
(Probably because I'm not watching American news channels a lot)

Don't worry, I didn't get it either.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.