More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 08:06:12 PM
I'm sure I'd dig the book way more than the film.

So which one of you is going to keep an eye out for it on Netflix for me?

Watch one of the versions without Ford's voiceover. I think that only the original theater version is on Netflix so rent the Director's cut instead. There may be at least one other version worth getting- Star could probably chime in here as he is an uberfan.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2016, 08:11:59 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 07, 2016, 08:05:07 PM
'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' was a great novel. Very different from the film, but both managed to be great in their way.

The film played down a lot of the disassociating 'World within a World' aspects of the novel. That theme of a hidden (and usually malevolent) reality beyond what is apparent is a recurring theme in many of Dick's novels. The movie also dispensed with 'Mercerism', the pseudo religion that was popular with much of the populace depicted in 'Android'.

Mercersim,  Buster Friendly, Deckard's horribly depressed wife. . The book had a lot that didn't make it into the movie. To be fair, much of it would not have translated well to film.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2016, 08:16:26 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 08:06:12 PM
I'm sure I'd dig the book way more than the film.

So which one of you is going to keep an eye out for it on Netflix for me?

Watch one of the versions without Ford's voiceover. I think that only the original theater version is on Netflix so rent the Director's cut instead. There may be at least one other version worth getting- Star could probably chime in here as he is an uberfan.

That's one of the problems, there are so many different versions now. Wing is right, try to watch the Director's Cut or the Final Cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner#The_Final_Cut_.282007.29
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

I'm only doing this so I will have a grownups eye view of it.    So it really makes no difference to me which version.  Once I've seen it, I can defend my opinion. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 07, 2016, 08:17:45 PM
'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' was a great novel. Very different from the film, but both managed to be great in their way.

The film played down a lot of the disassociating 'World within a World' aspects of the novel. That theme of a hidden (and usually malevolent) reality beyond what is apparent is a recurring theme in many of Dick's novels. The movie also dispensed with 'Mercerism', the pseudo religion that was popular with much of the populace depicted in 'Android'.

Mercersim,  Buster Friendly, Deckard's horribly depressed wife. . The book had a lot that didn't make it into the movie. To be fair, much of it would not have translated well to film.

I am getting a powerful urge to re-visit P.K.D.'s works. It's been quite a few years since i read 'VALIS'. Doing so enhanced by nothing more than scotch could bring an entirely new perspective...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I need to get back to reading good sci-fi in general. I read a lot of PKD, Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Harrison, et al, back in the day.

Ubercat

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2016, 07:26:26 PM

That is freaking AWESOME. I wish my best friend had lived long enough to see this pic, and long enough to see Roy's B-Day as well. He was a bigger BR fan than I, and that's saying something.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Con

Interesting trivia for those who don't already know is that Rutger Hauer ad-libbed the monologue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_monologue

Bison

I come to laugh a little and now I'm in a rage at Metaldog too.  WTF?  IT'S FUCKING BLADERUNNER! 

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2016, 08:38:53 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 07, 2016, 08:17:45 PM

I am getting a powerful urge to re-visit P.K.D.'s works. It's been quite a few years since i read 'VALIS'. Doing so enhanced by nothing more than scotch could bring an entirely new perspective...

i knew a guy that read all the PKD books and loved them, it was he that introduced me to the books - i dont remember a lot of the titles tbh, but 2 stick in my mind - one where the hero is addicted to a puzzle in the newspaper but it turns out hes working out the mathematical coordinates of nuclear strikes from an enemy and the military use his answers to save the world each day, theyve provided an alternate relaity for him that best provide him with the tools to get the answers, his wife in his reality is his best friends wife, his own actual wife is the next door neighbours wife - sounds odd, great read

and the second was a full on Game of Thrones shock moment where he kills the hero half through the book, where a guy wakes up and is completely unknown but the day before was a megastar - flow my tears the policeman said, i think its called

anyhow - all great books with great plots

MetalDog

Y'all are some angry people!  Yeah, my attempt to troll Star backfired, but DAMN!  That's some anger over a movie.  No matter how good you think it is.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 08:27:43 PM
I'm only doing this so I will have a grownups eye view of it.    So it really makes no difference to me which version.  Once I've seen it, I can defend my opinion.

I recall seeing it as a kid and thinking it was a bit slow & ponderous but kinda dark and interesting.  Was way better after seeing it as a young adult & up.  Certainly more of an adult movie IMO.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: MetalDog on January 08, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
Y'all are some angry people!  Yeah, my attempt to troll Star backfired, but DAMN!  That's some anger over a movie.  No matter how good you think it is.

:P
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 08, 2016, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 08, 2016, 07:28:48 AM

:P

It's like MD is meeting us for the first time.