3 pm October 4, 1636, South of Wittstock

Started by MengJiao, December 14, 2021, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Nobody is really quite sure what exactly happened at this battle, except that it was an extraordinarly bloody mess.  I'm still puzzled though I have just read over the letters by Baner to Queen Christina, King and Lesilie (later leading troops on opposing sides at Marston Moor) to Charles I and the Chancelor of Sweden.  In the end, it is not even certain who commanded the Imperial forces (Hatzfeld, Marasini or Johan Georg?)... the GMT version of events puts no one in command on the Imperial side which seems about right.  According to King there was a certain amount of mutiny on the Swedish side and Ruthven and King led the final (victorious) attacks after various Swedes gave up and signaled retreat.  On the other hand, GMT has Torstenssen in command on the Swedish side while everyone was was there seems to have thought Baner was in charge.  GMT has the mutinous Vizthum in charge of the reserve and King and Leslie say it was Ruthven who actually led that force.  Anyway -- 3pm and the Scots wing of the Swedish army and all the Swedish artillery arrive on a hill behind the Imperialist entrenchments triggering a mob scene  ... that much seems to have actually happened:

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on December 14, 2021, 03:50:18 PM
Cool stuff, thanks for posting!  O0

Thanks!  I think I have sort of worked some things out.  Aldringer will stand in for Marazzino (who was either killed or wounded -- not killed apparently since he{Marazzino}  was still alive in 1639 and well enough to be court-martialed for another disaster).  Torstenssen is said to have "commanded the artillery" in some sources, so
I've put him on the hill with the artillery and the advanced guard.  Baner is on his right with the advanced cavalry force and Leslie is on his left facing the winery and the "gap" which might be the area Gimmelshausen described graphically after the battle in Simplississimus.  King and Ruthven are off the map with the flanking force and the reserve respectively.  If they don't turn up (which is more or less what happened historically), then Baner, Torstenssen and Leslie are outnumbered at roughy 2 to 1.  So we'll see how that goes.  Maybe Marazzino will do better as Aldringer (in Bavarian Costume it seems):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 15, 2021, 08:04:11 AM

But things start to spiral even farther out of control for the Imperialists.  Baner charges (unwise I thought, but he had two die-throws not to do it) and then Marazzoni tries the same thing, but unfortunately
King's flanking cavalry are arriving very early, coming in hot around the Hottenberg, right behind Marazzoni (under a charge marker):