Main Menu

Iron Harvest

Started by airboy, January 13, 2019, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2019, 08:23:46 AM
There is also a digital version of Scythe which I also have but it is kind of byzantine and obtuse.

I wouldn't say Iron Harvest 'rides' on the artist's work, either. The art itself is used as loading screen art in Iron Harvest.

In the PC version of Scythe, the artwork is used for much more, like in-game cards, etc.

The game still rides on the world created by the artist. But agree that there's less use of his art.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on January 14, 2019, 05:57:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2019, 08:23:46 AM
There is also a digital version of Scythe which I also have but it is kind of byzantine and obtuse.

I wouldn't say Iron Harvest 'rides' on the artist's work, either. The art itself is used as loading screen art in Iron Harvest.

In the PC version of Scythe, the artwork is used for much more, like in-game cards, etc.

The game still rides on the world created by the artist. But agree that there's less use of his art.

What do mean by "rides"? It seems as if you're suggesting without the art, there would be no game. If that is the point you are making, I disagree. Certainly the aesthetic and designs featured in the artist's work help make Iron harvest distinct, but it is not the art work that makes Iron Harvest a game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Someone commented about having no interest in RTS and steam punk but the concept and artwork is fantastic. Art does some wonders in sparking interest. I wouldn't even look at this game if it weren't inspired by Jakub's art. Being familiar with his work before any games were made, I feel that Iron Harvest is like a franchise of the world he created (like all those Warhammer, Mechwarrior, Star Wars games).

Jakub thinks Iron Harvest is set in his world (intellectual property) as well.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8R3dQ

Though it is correct that artwork does not make a game. In my view, this is clearly a game created around the artwork.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on January 14, 2019, 08:21:32 PM
Someone commented about having no interest in RTS and steam punk but the concept and artwork is fantastic. Art does some wonders in sparking interest. I wouldn't even look at this game if it weren't inspired by Jakub's art. Being familiar with his work before any games were made, I feel that Iron Harvest is like a franchise of the world he created (like all those Warhammer, Mechwarrior, Star Wars games).

Jakub thinks Iron Harvest is set in his world (intellectual property) as well.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8R3dQ

I think you're still missing the point. Iron Harvest benefits from the imagination and creations of the artist, but it isnt reliant upon it. Why don't you play the game, and then maybe you will see what I mean.

There have certainly been games that would have been very generic but for their IP. However, I think it remains to be seen, whether Iron Harvest will fall into that category.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

I know you're saying that the game can/may hold out on its own even without the art. Let's see how it goes.

Gusington

I was under the impression that the artist (Jakub) had a lot of influence in both games' creation - at least in the creation of the background information and the lore.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

JasonPratt

Oh wow, that is straight-up Company of Scythe Heroes!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Man I wish I liked RTS games.  I absolutely love the setting and the graphics/art.

Jarhead0331

I really can't stand Raptor. He sounds like he should be a DJ doing bar mitzvahs and weddings.  :pullhair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

Better than Quill18. Sounds like he should be hosting Blues Clues.

Gusington

I would have been proud to have either of them dj my bar mitzvah.

Can't wait for the full release of this - the setting, art and general ideas are all fantastic. I backed it through Kickstarter last year - great to see it all coming together.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Looks awesome.  Not sure I'll end up putting much time into it because RTS aren't really my thing anymore, but I'll pick it up nonetheless.  Might even preorder it if they ever open it up for early access beyond KS backers.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jomni

Company of Heroes vibe. but no rolling tanks. Just walking tanks.

Jarhead0331

Well, the beta just dropped finally. Much more polished experience. The campaign so far is a bit corny, but I'm enjoying the gameplay overall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog