War in the east 2 coming soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Read that pre orders start on feb 23 and release on March 25th.

al_infierno

The artwork they posted on Facebook is awesome and well worth sharing.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but is going to be one of those top-tier, $80.00+ games?  And second, I very much enjoyed the first, is there anything significantly different in this sequel that would justify getting it? I bought the first years after release when it finally went on sale and suspect I'll have to do the same with this newer version.  I'm sure I'm not the only one on this awesome site that has a limited gaming budget.

Geezer

Quote...And second, I very much enjoyed the first, is there anything significantly different in this sequel that would justify getting it?...

Here are the improvements from the product page:

Enhancements/changes since WitE

3 Full Map Campaigns
1941-45 Campaign (June 22 1941 – 1 August 1945)
Stalingrad to Berlin (November 19 1942 – 4 July 1945)
Vistula to Berlin (13 January 1945 – 1 June 1945)
7 Smaller Operational Scenarios
Velikie Luki '42 (17 November 1942 – 25 January 1943) – The Soviet counterattack to recapture this important rail junction.
Road to Minsk (22 June 1941 – July 2 1941) – The rush to the Dnepr by Army Group Center.
Road to Leningrad (22 June 41 – 8 Oct 41) – Army Group North moves on Leningrad.
The Destruction of Southwest Front (22 June 41 – 15 October 41) – Army Group South and Guderian cause the largest Soviet surrender in the war.
Operation Typhoon 41 (30 September 1941 – 5 January 1942) – The final offensive to take Moscow.
Red Army Resurgent (19 November 1942 – 17 March 1943) – The destruction of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad.
Red God of War (24 November 1942 – 8 February 1943) – The failed Soviet northern offensive.
Improved AI Opponent
Newly re-designed and re-built by Gary Grigsby for War in the East 2
Greatly enhanced Defensive AI performance as well as improved Offensive AI performance

More Accurate Map and Movement rules:
Map based on better projection yields a larger number of hexes in the main combat area (106 hex frontage from Rostov to Leningrad versus 87 in WitE).
Advanced Terrain/Road rules – Road quality in every hex combines with terrain to generate much more realistic impacts of terrain on movement, combat and supplies.
Administrative Movement – Accounts for ability to move rapidly in friendly territory, especially where there are better roads.
Ability to stack additional units into urban and port hexes
Off-Map Theater Boxes and Theater Events:
Theater boxes representing other theaters of the war (North Africa, Italy, etc.), and a full set of events including garrison requirements in the TBs along with other events like partisan operations.
Partisan war now handled with a Soviet Union garrison box, events, and partisan interdiction placed on map.
Enhanced Player Theater Box Control game option that allows players to choose more flexible movement of units between theaters, but at a cost for failing to meet garrison requirements versus benefits for exceeding them.
More accurate historical line up of units, HQs and support units and their historical movement between theaters.
Additional historical campaign events.
Improved Air System incorporating both a more Advanced Air Mode and a Streamlined Air Operational Group Mode
On Map Airbases
Much more realistic Air Combat and Support Resolution compared to War in the East and War in the West.
A separate Air Phase is now used for many air actions, with ground support and transport done in the movement phase.
Advanced Air Mode allows full detailed control of the entire Air War, equivalent to a game within a game.
New "Air Operational Group" Mode which allows you to move Air Groups on the map and provides an easy and streamlined way to manage the air game while focusing on the ground game.  This makes the air game easier to manage even for those players that want full control.
Full AI Air Assist that can run most of the air operations based on just a few orders given by the player to the Air Operational Groups.
More accurate and detailed historical weather model incorporating per-hex Weather changes based on the system developed for War in the West.

Changes in Ground Combat to reflect Historical operations:
New Combat Preparation Points for units allow for build ups for better offensive operations and punish units that are in combat every turn without a rest.
Combat Delay Points account for the time spent fighting in a hex and will slow units that move through a hex where significant combat took place that turn.
Attacks can now deprive defending units of future MPs.
Multi-hex retreats.
Many interface improvements, including new art, reorganized screens, a new Turn Summary and more important information regarding your units and situation brought to the top level for easier discovery and quicker access.
Automated Soviet factory evacuation.
Improved Commander's Report screens with more flexibility and CSV export capability for out of game analysis.
Special designation of Assault HQs allowing Command benefits for offensive armies at the cost of some defensive abilities.
Increased Command cost of integrating multiple nationalities under the same command.
Greater direct attachment of support units to certain Soviet and Axis Allied divisions, along with multi-role units that can be on map or used as support.
New In-Game WitEpedia – Includes Detailed Information and Links concerning units and weapons of the Eastern Front.
Detailed TO&E and Order of Battle Charts with information about many of the units on the Eastern Front.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rayfer

Thanks geezer....you fulfilled the old adage of 'ask and ye shall receive'.... :notworthy:

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on February 18, 2021, 09:51:05 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but is going to be one of those top-tier, $80.00+ games?  And second, I very much enjoyed the first, is there anything significantly different in this sequel that would justify getting it? I bought the first years after release when it finally went on sale and suspect I'll have to do the same with this newer version.  I'm sure I'm not the only one on this awesome site that has a limited gaming budget.

Since the first version is still selling for $79.99, can't see how the 2nd version would be cheaper...unless they offer existing owners some kind of discount.  Would seem odd that people who buy now through March 25th would pay more for the old version and new owners would get something cheaper....so for me $79.99 likely is the minimum, if not more:)

Sir Slash

I agree. At $80, WitE 1 has always been one the most expensive games. Whether the new version is worth paying more for or not remains to be seen. Still I'm hoping for the One True WWII East Front game of my lifetime.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

fabius

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2021, 12:03:46 PM
I agree. At $80, WitE 1 has always been one the most expensive games. Whether the new version is worth paying more for or not remains to be seen. Still I'm hoping for the One True WWII East Front game of my lifetime.  :dreamer:
So true. But suspect that I'm not alone in being drawn to the East Front like an RnR to a bar or a sailor to a red light

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: fabius on February 18, 2021, 03:43:50 PM
So true. But suspect that I'm not alone in being drawn to the East Front like an RnR to a bar or a sailor to a red light

A to the men, man.

-budd-

I'm one of those who waited for a couple of years before buying, got the whole bundle for $59.00. This time i might just pre-order depending on the price. They say the manual is around 500 pages, love me a good hard back manual. Played over 500 hours of WITE 1 and never played the grand campaign. I'm guessing around $100 with the manual.

I'm one of those who will appreciate the AI helpers with the air and supply part, not interested in going to deep into those parts. I'll set some AD for the air and a depot when i have to but i'll let the AI handle most of it and chalk up any AI miss steps as friction of war. Plus i really like the scenarios the game will come with, those will give hundreds of hours of play time before any DLC is released.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 18, 2021, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: fabius on February 18, 2021, 03:43:50 PM

A to the men, man.

A-yup!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

demjansk1942

Not spending the big bucks on this

solops

A lot of nice improvements, but I see no compelling reason to buy it if you have the first one, which I do. Especially at the probable price point.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

The improved air game and inclusion of other theaters seems like a fairly massive improvement IMO.

- MengJiao

demjansk1942

It will probably be a great game.  However, I have so many games on the Eastern Front that I don't want to play them anymore.  I hope it's a good one for you guys.