War in the east 2 coming soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Yeah, for me much of the appeal is that I never really sank my teeth into WitE1, despite enjoying the base mechanics, so this installment feels like it was tailored specifically for me.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on March 28, 2021, 02:20:57 AM
Yeah, for me much of the appeal is that I never really sank my teeth into WitE1, despite enjoying the base mechanics, so this installment feels like it was tailored specifically for me.

Exactly the same as myself.

The UI looks really impressive.

Still watching Strategygaming Dojos videos and waiting for the manual before jumping in.

Edit...... By the way if we both like it and you fancy a PBEM++  game At some point let me know ....likely be carnage as we  learn but should be epic.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

For sure.  We should either do a smaller scenario for starters or a 1942 campaign - I've heard the 1941 grand campaign isn't great for beginners - it's a nightmare for the Soviet side as one might imagine.   :buck2:

I think I have you added on steam, so feel free to message me if you want to set it up, or I'll send you one next time I'm armchair generaling.  O0  If anyone else wants to set up some PBEM, my steam name is the same as my Grogheads name without the underscore (_)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Sounds good. :bd:

Will message you on Steam re this to avoid thread congestion.

-budd-

Finally got some time to play a little bit of the game, i love it. I one of those that didn't get WITE 1 until all the DLC was out and was on sale, got the whole bundle for $60 a few years after release. I've probably logged about 500 hours into WITE 1, and have still never played the main campaign. Also own all of WITW, but have probably only logged about 50 hours into that one. I appreciate the fact there some AI assistance in this monster. I'm letting the AI manage my depots, and i'm mostly running the air war. Of course i've only finished turn one of the "Road to Leningrad" scenario which took two hours. A lot of that time was looking around digging into the features and information and finding my way around. I'm not a min/max player but i imagine this is a micro-mangers dream game, go as deep as you want to.

Not sure if this is good or not, but here's my total damage of the air phase for turn one of Road to Leningrad. I adjusted the plane route to avoid what little flak there was, adjusted the recon area, altitude and days to fly. I put top priority on airfields, and raised the intensity and only flew day 1 and day 7. Caught a lot of planes on the ground.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rekim

I've been trying to resist. That screenshot reminded me why I love Grigsby games so much. They are always packed with details and statistics I find fascinating.

Geezer

I keep procrastinating hoping the 10% discount will end and then I'll have an excuse to wait a lot longer...  ;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rekim

same here.

That discount is available for a month (longer than usual?). Plus, still have anniversary coupon kicking around. Not looking good... 

Skoop

Does this version allow more flexibility with the axis in building new units or production like you can for the Soviets ?

After you've done historical Barbarossa for decades with a dozen different game engines, it's the what if history that makes it possible to do Barbarossa one more time.

I'm sure you could probably rebuild the campaign in the editor to make any what if history you'd like, as I did it with wite1, but it's very tedious to do.
These days I'd rather see things go boom in dcs especially with the hind around the corner.

The_Admiral

Quote from: al_infierno on March 25, 2021, 08:22:04 PM
One thing I can attest to right off the bat is that the intro cinematic is freakin' awesome.  It's like the intro theme to a Band of Brothers: Ostfront, if such a thing existed.   :smitten:

Happy to know there are still fans of this style out there. That is precisely what is in the works for Task Force Admiral too (the original WitP intro did leave me with a long-lasting impression - replacing it was to me the only thing that went wrong in AE to be honest  :'( )

al_infierno

Quote from: The_Admiral on March 29, 2021, 12:40:34 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 25, 2021, 08:22:04 PM
One thing I can attest to right off the bat is that the intro cinematic is freakin' awesome.  It's like the intro theme to a Band of Brothers: Ostfront, if such a thing existed.   :smitten:

Happy to know there are still fans of this style out there. That is precisely what is in the works for Task Force Admiral too (the original WitP intro did leave me with a long-lasting impression - replacing it was to me the only thing that went wrong in AE to be honest  :'( )

Sounds awesome!  The intro video to WitP was about the one thing about the game I actually sank my teeth into.   :2funny:

- MengJiao

Crossroads

Quote from: devoncop on March 25, 2021, 03:00:03 PM
You win "Most ambitious guy on the internet today"  award with the " opened it up for a few minutes at lunch"  remark  :DD

This made me laugh unnecessarily hard  ;D

Is the intro video available somewhere in the inter webs?

Found it, how neat!  :bd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21wMIbgukw
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Rayfer

I found this posted on a Facebook PC wargaming site by someone playing WitE2 who was an experienced WitE1 player.  I haven't gotten the newer rendition yet and was wondering what others here thought about this post.  From what he wrote it appears you cannot move into 1942 in the campaign game unless you accrue a fixed number of VP's in 1941, thus his complaint that it you're sort of forced into a certain style of play:    First I love WITE2 and they did a great job . Another loss , look at the damage I did , But I won't have enough points to move on to 1942.  War in the East 2 is a lot  different that War in the East 1 , They make you play like Hilter is in charge , I use to win every game because I didn't do what Hilter would do. WITE1 rule book told you not fight in the Winter and not out run your Railheads. This game gives you no choice but fight and fight till you reach 525 points which is hard . So back to the drawing board and it is  time for another game . This time I throwing 3 Panzer group at Moscow , will see what happens . That will give the points I need .

Geezer

As the Axis in the campaigns you need 525 VP's on or before 1/1/42 and 575 on or before 10/42 (no specific day) or you lose.  No idea how hard that is to achieve at this point.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

devoncop

Basically you need to do a lot worse than historically to lose as the Axis in 1941  or 1942.

If that is the case then it is not  a bad thing for the game to end as an Axis player would be crushed by the Soviets by 1944 at the latest if their early war progress was so bad.