Enemy Coast Ahead (dambusters raid)

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 08, 2015, 02:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Nav: "Sir, I have a better fix on our location, but it seems Hopgood has gotten separated. I got a fix on the flak batteries that the recon boys found earlier."
Gibson: "Well... I think we should steer clear so give a heading well wide of there."

(We'll toss the 2 flak hazards and 1st wave will get the first 2 unknowns and 2nd with get the next 2.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteThe navigator gets on the comms and gives Gibson new bearings and flight times to avoid the known flak concentrations.  Unfortunately the new course brings the first wave over a previously undetected battery of 88mm ack-ack guns.  Gibson's plane skirts the edge of the barrage but Hopgood's plane flies right into the maelstrom.

Gibson runs into level 1 flak.  They will score a hit on 2-4 on 2D6
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 1, 2, total 3[/blockquote]

Hopgood hits level 5 flak.  They will score a hit on a 6-9 on 2D6.
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteExplosions buffet Hopgood's plane and shrapnel pings off the thin aluminum skin as he passes into the barrage cloud.

Because the roll was doubles, the flak gets to fire again.

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 6, total 10[/blockquote]

Gibson's plane was also hit.  He can attempt to evade but if he does so, he'll become separated from the wave and become lost and will have to wait until next turn to roll a nav check to see if he gets his bearings.  If he chooses to evade, roll 1D6.  He evades on an EVEN result but takes damage on an ODD result.  He can also use his ability to re-roll the flak attack instead.

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteAfter what seems like an eternity to those inside, Hopgood's Lancaster emerges through the far side of the flak cloud.  The front gunner stares at the chipped and starred perspex in his turret and begins retching.  Hopgood silently crosses himself.

Hopgood's plane makes it through undamaged.  I forgot to mention that Gibson could also just accept the flak damage and keep flying.

Stagger, once you've rolled your navigation check, you have two hazards to assign.  Two bombers in your wave get one each and the third gets none.

Staggerwing

Meanwhile, Flight Lieutenant Shannon shouts back to the navigator again: "Walker! Have a gander at those precious maps o' yours and tell me where that bloody kraut dam is!". "Give us a minute Lieutenant- I need to get a fix first!" the Navigator yells back.

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7[/blockquote]
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Your wave remains in good formation and on course.  Which two planes get the hazards?

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteThe ad hoc second wave kept the Weser river in sight a few hundred meters off their port wings.  As they roared past a bend in the river, a German flak barge assigned to guard a nearby bridge opened fire with its 37mm guns.  Tracers rose up to meet AJ-B.  AJ-P jinked away from the threatening flak.  The sudden move disrupted the navigator's timings for the current course leg.  He still felt reasonably confident as to their location however."

AJ-B comes under fire from level 1 flak.  It will hit on a 2-4 on 2D6.

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6[/blockquote]

AJ-P suffers a map reading error.  No effect until the next navigation check.

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteThe 37mm rounds whip past harmlessly and seconds later, the trio of bombers were no longer within line of sight of the barge.

Stagger, 2nd wave arrives in the vicinity of the Eder dam in good order.  The flight leader can check to see if he's able to acquire the target.  The recon level in the Weser is 2 and the recon level at the Eder dam is also 2 so you need to roll a 7 or better to spot the dam this turn.  If you fail on your first roll, you my choose to  try a persistent attempt and roll again, but it that 2nd check fails, your formation becomes uncoordinated.  If you don't want to risk the persistent attempt, you can return in good order to the Weser zone and try again next turn (after nav checks and another round of hazards.)

Staggerwing

Flight Lieutenant Shannon toggles the intercom switch. "Look lively lads! First one who spots the target gets a pint at the pub on me!"

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9[/blockquote]

Staggerwing

Sumpter the Bomb aimer and Jagger the front Gunner yell out simultaneously "I see it!"/"There! There it is!" Shannon would be buying two pints it seems...

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, as it's a co-ordinated entry, all three bombers arrive in the zone on attack turn one.  Shannon is the flight leader so he automatically starts in the Circling near box.

Bart, roll 1D6 for AJ-P.  On an EVEN result, he'll start in the circling near box.  On an ODD result, he'll start in the circling far box.

UCG, do the same for AJ-B.  EVEN=near, ODD=far.

Barthheart

Gibson: "Bloody hell! Where's that come from?!? Everyone alright? Check in and report any damage."

All positions check in and then..

Reargunner: "Ah... tail here.... ah.... I think I'm fine but it does seems a bit more drafty back here.... I can't see... wait... there it... Jesus H. Christ!"
Gibson: "You all right? What's the matter back there?"
Reargunner: "Oh, it's just a bloody big hole in the side of the aircraft is all. It just happens to be a foot from my arse! You still got tail controls? There's some hydraulic fluid back here..."
Gibson: "So far so good... "

Gibson's plane will take the hit.

Barthheart

AJ-P rolls...

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, Gibson's plane is damaged.

AJ-P will start in the circling near box.

Bart, you can roll to see if Gibson's flight is able to spot the dam.  7 or better on 2D6.  If that fails, you can try for a persistent attempt.  Again, you'll need 7 or better on 2D6 should you decide to try for it.  If you do try a persistent attempt and it fails, the formation will separate and both planes will fly independently and will have to try to spot the dam again next turn (if they don't get lost during the nav check and somehow manage to survive the 6 hazards they'll face.)

Staggerwing, Shannon does a slow circle around the dam, just outside of probably flak range.  It doesn't look like the dam's been alerted.  Shannon can see no flak guns, no searchlights, and no balloons.  The biggest problem Shannon can see is the approach vector.  The run in will be very short so lining up, leveling off, and making speed and altitude adjustments all has to be done in seconds.  Then there's the slope of the Michelkopf mountain just on the other side of the spill gates.   It's far steeper and far closer than the sandbox scale models the pilots studied back at Scampton led them to believe.  Pullling up after a successful bomb run is going to be a close run thing.