Welcome > GrogHeads Feedback

Grogheads AAR - Kiev '43

(1/2) > >>

Jarhead0331:
Hit the Dnepr with Boggit!

http://grogheads.com/aars/21082

JasonPratt:
Thanks for the AAR Boggit!

Out of curiosity, what would you try as the Germans in this scenario? Do you think the AI did anything wrong, or is their situation just hopeless if the Soviets keep pushing with overwhelming numbers? Did weather make the difference for you?

Boggit:

--- Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2021, 10:33:24 AM ---Thanks for the AAR Boggit!

--- End quote ---
My pleasure. I hope you enjoyed it. O0

--- Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2021, 10:33:24 AM ---Out of curiosity, what would you try as the Germans in this scenario?

--- End quote ---
I'd broadly keep to their historical strategy which was to counterattack with their armoured reinforcements. The Russian infantry units have negligible AT weapons, but are dangerous to disrupted tanks in the assault. Target any AT guns in travel mode with artillery and airstrikes, and don't allow yourself to get trapped in an attrition battle with flanking Russian units. Your armour is mobile and although you also suffer from the soft ground, you don't have the problem of the big traffic jams the Russians have. Oh, and don't forget to target the over stacked Russian forces for extra kills.

--- Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2021, 10:33:24 AM ---Do you think the AI did anything wrong, or is their situation just hopeless if the Soviets keep pushing with overwhelming numbers?

--- End quote ---
The AI did put infantry in the front line in travel mode a few times, which got punished by my artillery and aviation. They would have been better to tactically withdraw before taking that risk. Also the attack of 2SS Das Reich was a little too late to make a difference. They got side tracked and at one point were close to wiping out the bridgehead on my far left. They did frustrate the advance to the left on my main push, but like I say were really too late against the main push to make the difference as happened in real life.

The situation is not hopeless though if the Russians can be contained in the bridgehead for most of the game. Keeping a mobile reserve is vital, but you need to make sure it doesn't get bogged down too long and get isolated. It needs to stay relatively mobile as a fire brigade. Had I not got a flanking break through with enough time to exploit, I think I'd have struggled to get the necessary VP's. I also noted that after the Germans were pushed back from their initial positions, they started digging in again on the hills behind their start lines and these were hard to push back until I managed to isolate them.

--- Quote from: JasonPratt on May 31, 2021, 10:33:24 AM ---Did weather make the difference for you?

--- End quote ---
Yes. It's a pain as apart from tanks, most units couldn't manage more than one or two hexes a turn. They also tended to bunch up and make wonderful targets for the German artillery.

JasonPratt:
Thanks for the extra notes!  :bd:

Sir Slash:
Yes, that was a great AAR.  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version