Sad Passing: Christopher Dean of NWS

Started by ArizonaTank, December 02, 2021, 05:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on December 02, 2021, 09:17:04 PM
^Thanks for posting. That jogged my memory.

Many years ago I special ordered a game from NWS (I think it was Freespace 2) and Christopher called me to make sure everything was ok. IIRC he did that several times over the years.

I had a similar experience. He called me out the blue to see if a shipment had arrived in good order.  I can't think of another vendor who has done that.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

miksebik

RIP Chris, we have not done much business together but still I understood that you were a special guy for the community...

I do not want to sound impolite, but does anyone know what will happen with unfinished orders? I understood, that the NWS part of the shop will continue under different name/entity, but that does not have much in common with the wargames store with MMP, GMT, Compass games stuff etc.
So what will happen with the unfinished orders? I made a 700usd order in September that unfortunately has not been probably shipped.. As there does not seem to be anybody with legal access to the shop stock/system.. Should I contact somebody? Or somebody will contact me? Can anybody please tell me where Chris's headquarter was. I am from Prague, Czech Republic..
Or am I wrong? Will somebody in the future finish the orders?
Thanks, Michal

Uberhaus

Quote from: miksebik on December 05, 2021, 09:00:24 AM
RIP Chris, we have not done much business together but still I understood that you were a special guy for the community...

I do not want to sound impolite, but does anyone know what will happen with unfinished orders? I understood, that the NWS part of the shop will continue under different name/entity, but that does not have much in common with the wargames store with MMP, GMT, Compass games stuff etc.
So what will happen with the unfinished orders? I made a 700usd order in September that unfortunately has not been probably shipped.. As there does not seem to be anybody with legal access to the shop stock/system.. Should I contact somebody? Or somebody will contact me? Can anybody please tell me where Chris's headquarter was. I am from Prague, Czech Republic..
Thanks, Michal

The wargaming community is in mourning.  While visiting the ASL section of Game Squad there is a memoriam.  It links to the NWS forums with an answer for Michal in the first and second posts from williammiller a site administrator  https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/6208/christopher-dean-passed-away-read

JasonPratt

Awww! -- yep, bought not a few used and even new games from him over the years, though not for many years come to think of it. GoG (and Steam to some extent) filled that market niche.

But like many others, I remember him calling at least once to ask if the order arrived, and also at least once (I think even twice) to ask what sort of extra game I wanted. It was thanks to him, that I first discovered the glory of Patrician 2 (and thence all the games in that series afterward.)

Rest in peace Mr. Dean.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: miksebik on December 05, 2021, 09:00:24 AM

Thanks, Michal

Maybe your shipment is a victim of supply chain issues? Stuck in a container in Amsterdam? NWS was pretty quick with shipping, so I guess that if your items were in stock and you ordered in September, they would have shipped. I don't know the location for NWS other than Florida. But it sounds like the Forums are up, so sending a PM to the admin is probably your best bet.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

miksebik

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 05, 2021, 10:02:16 PM

Maybe your shipment is a victim of supply chain issues? Stuck in a container in Amsterdam? NWS was pretty quick with shipping, so I guess that if your items were in stock and you ordered in September, they would have shipped. I don't know the location for NWS other than Florida. But it sounds like the Forums are up, so sending a PM to the admin is probably your best bet.

Well, I do not share your optimism regarding the speed with which the orders were executed. In Feb, I did a 900usd order and it was not until July when I got the games. I got many confirmations that "that week, it will ship".. same as now, when I was assured several times about the expedition date (last was mid November).

Anyway, I heard that somebody (lets not use names) found boxes ready to be shipped in Chris's car and he/she sent it. So there is still hope.

BTW I do not have it shipped to my country, I am using a forwarder, warehouse in US so I should know soon.

DylanH44

Hello everyone My name I Dylan Lee Hiers im the nephew of Christopher Dean and Chininia im blood relative with my aunt u I just made this account to say We had not been on speaking terms with my aunt and uncle for what happened between my mother and aunt but I wanted to make a new relationship since i had not seen them since 2014 im sadden that they are gone I truly miss them if anyone has any info on where my aunt and uncles bodies are or the name of christophers brother please contact me at gmail hiersdylan@gmail.com or look me up on facebook hiersdylan thank you god bless

Boggit

I'm really sorry to learn of Chris' passing, especially at his relatively young age.

I occasionally communicated with him about his games and he was always friendly and well spoken. A decent man as far as I could tell, and I'm sorry for his passing.

Rest in peace Chris.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat