Main Menu

DCS World Wow

Started by crowdrake, February 12, 2024, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^The Quest 3 is a big leap ahead of the Quest 2. Only people on an extreme budget should even consider a Quest 2 at this point, and even then, if the budget is that tight, should probably pay the electric bill over buying a VR headset.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

crowdrake

the reason i would buy a quest 2 over a quest 3, is i know it comunicates with my setup, i would have to check the q3 has same chips etc...having a wireless VR on DCSW is awsome. I would rather have a Q3 offcourse. the q3 is 30% more powerfull and better optics, so next year, but I like the price of Q2, it would make the diff to try a VR if you dont know if you would like VR, to be honest its a steal at 250. AND most important its doing the job for me , I am happy with it, so affording a better VR is not my main concern right now

its possible that a more powerfull VR would not perform wireless as good, it may need more bandwidth. I suppose its the same as all VR setups comprimise on one thing to improve something else. so its personal choice, I just like the Q2 right now for me, you have top VR on a top system and I agree your having a better time, but I can still afford other things

I would rather spend the diff between a Q2 to a Q3 on a 6Ghz router to improve wireless speed, and a network cable to conect PC to router so to speedup comunication with router.  if the Q3 is better dosnt matter if it stutters. maybe the Q3 will be better I just dont know yet, but the power of a VR is not the only consideration, it takes combined thinking. and Q2 are so abundant you could get a second hand one for a lot less.

you prob have a valid reason to upgrade, I suppose I wont know unless i did, its just so good now.

Redwolf

Doesn't the Quest 3 have a battery that will eventually go bad?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: crowdrake on February 16, 2024, 06:37:45 PMthe reason i would buy a quest 2 over a quest 3, is i know it comunicates with my setup, i would have to check the q3 has same chips etc...having a wireless VR on DCSW is awsome. I would rather have a Q3 offcourse. the q3 is 30% more powerfull and better optics, so next year, but I like the price of Q2, it would make the diff to try a VR if you dont know if you would like VR, to be honest its a steal at 250. AND most important its doing the job for me , I am happy with it, so affording a better VR is not my main concern right now

its possible that a more powerfull VR would not perform wireless as good, it may need more bandwidth. I suppose its the same as all VR setups comprimise on one thing to improve something else. so its personal choice, I just like the Q2 right now for me, you have top VR on a top system and I agree your having a better time, but I can still afford other things

I would rather spend the diff between a Q2 to a Q3 on a 6Ghz router to improve wireless speed, and a network cable to conect PC to router so to speedup comunication with router.  if the Q3 is better dosnt matter if it stutters. maybe the Q3 will be better I just dont know yet, but the power of a VR is not the only consideration, it takes combined thinking. and Q2 are so abundant you could get a second hand one for a lot less.

you prob have a valid reason to upgrade, I suppose I wont know unless i did, its just so good now.

There is no comparison between the two headsets really. The ONLY reason to get a Quest 2 is for affordability. On wifi6 a Quest 3 will get 2400mbps. Quest 2 will get 1200mbps at best.

Why are you so hung up on wireless, anyway? You're sitting in a chair. I understand wanting wireless for room scale play, but sitting at desk in a chair? Doesn't make much sense to me why that would be the most important factor. Just my .02.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

crowdrake

I did not know the 2400mbps Im sold.

I come from the old days of VR , the setup and wires was awful messing about.

crowdrake

I suppose me being on a budget is not useful to the players, I shall shutup

Jarhead0331

Quote from: crowdrake on February 17, 2024, 12:06:24 AMwhy dont they make joysticks long like real planes, I know you can extend them, but finding the extensions that match etc... I would rather buy one ready to go, the short joysticks are just not good enough. some planes have short i suppose, but if there going to make a replica why not long. or at least have the extensions to buy with joystick

Because there are just so many configurations out there that it makes most sense to have extensions of various lengths so each pilot can select the best option that works for their pit or set up. Most people mount their HOTAS to a desk so extensions aren't necessary at all. Many mount sticks on the right or left side, also making extensions unnecessary.

There are a lot of options for extensions. Figure out what length you need and buy it. I've purchased some through Amazon that are generic and work with several different models. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago that is compatible with the warthog, Virpil, and winwing. What is your issue with them? They are very easy to install. If tinkering isn't for you, you may want to find a new hobby. LoL

Tweaking your pit is a constant process. It never feels quite finished.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

By the way... Word on the street is that the latest oculus update breaks DCS. You'll need to revert back to the prior version.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

crowdrake

I have a pimax 5k I will dust if off , I suppose i need a new one likev the crystal

Jarhead0331

Quote from: crowdrake on February 17, 2024, 11:15:16 AMI have a pimax 5k I will dust if off , I suppose i need a new one likev the crystal

The Crystal is very good. I was off to a bumpy start with it, but after receiving a replacement, I've been very happy. It rivals the Varjo Aero.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

crowdrake

Thanks, I know how to proceed. I just saw some vids and some VR sets are really clear.

crowdrake

Ok got the Q3 today, fiddly to setup but not to bad, still felt quality. straight in to DCSW to see diff. well the lenses are so good, everything is clear, and full screen clear, I could read menus as if i was sat at a PC.

Then I got into a mission, the first thing that hit me was the slight stutter that ruined the immersion, so I had to tinker with settings. I have it barely noticable now but Im going to have to find the best settings and watch some youtube. BUT BUT my got the shadows and sunlight are awsome, the cockpit is popping out, the world looks absolutly incredible, I can see how a crystal would work now. the quest 2 was smooth and imersive and was good, but after seeing the detail now Im completely in awe.

the quest 2 only runs at 5GHz wifi, the Quest 3 is 6GHz and a bigger Field of view and resolution, but the new lenses make everything like real life. I definatly am in envy of you with the crystal but to expensive for me.

the cockpit I turned shadows up and nudged a few things down to compensate, but I think the slight stutter is from comunication speed so I am going to check settings on Q3 like refresh rate, I just like it smooth, but I really have it good enough so I can work on it, I just used the Q3 out of the box.

I remember seeing the fight simulators when I was young cost the equivalent of a million pounds today, with VR I now have one as good.

This biggest thing I notice in DCSW is how real the clouds are , and how good it feels to fly through rain and mist. the jet smoke trails are superb.

Redwolf

Quote from: crowdrake on February 21, 2024, 06:37:56 AMOk got the Q3 today, fiddly to setup but not to bad, still felt quality. straight in to DCSW to see diff. well the lenses are so good, everything is clear, and full screen clear, I could read menus as if i was sat at a PC.

Then I got into a mission, the first thing that hit me was the slight stutter that ruined the immersion, so I had to tinker with settings.

Are you using it wirelessly or with the cable?

crowdrake

wireless , I know what you mean it would be better on cabel, I'm ok with it the stutter is just at the edge when i move quick, its not to bad. But I can now play with settings, I have virtual desktop so plenty of things I can set. It truly is amazing

crowdrake

yes tried cable and it worked, BUT you have to set the advanced power settings on PC to stop USB from powering down. I messed about for a hour experimenting what worked and at the end I had a working system, looks great! so glad I upgraded. so much more hassle but once you got the routeen on what steps to take its as fast as wireless. had some wiered effects but managed to set things that fixed it. so could not be happier.