Friday Bloody Friday

Started by FarAway Sooner, January 29, 2021, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

How is it so late on the day and we don't have a "Who's Playing What This Weekend?" thread going on yet.

I'll represent my hometown with a video from the best concert venue in North America.  And any song that contains the line "The trench is dug within our hearts" seems awfully topical for the current age...

For me, it'll be mostly Shadow Empires.  Unless a 3rd faction declares war on me at the same time and snaps through my paper thin screen of units on my Western Frontier, in which case I'll just ragequit and probably play a game of Eador: Lost Horizons or fiddle around with Wizards and Warlords some more!

Rayfer

Good song choice....!  Getting more and more back into board wargames lately.  But on the PC it's more Tiller ACW and Napoleonic's.

devoncop

Well thanks to the wonders of You Tube I have very belatedly discovered the treasure trove that is Spiderweb Software.

Just in my first couple of hours into Avernum Escape from the Pit and absolutely adore the scale and quality of the writing in the game.  I find the game mechanics old school but very easy to pick up and am having a blast.....these games should see me through the next decade  :)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

CJReich46

Quote from: devoncop on January 29, 2021, 01:49:53 PM
Well thanks to the wonders of You Tube I have very belatedly discovered the treasure trove that is Spiderweb Software.

Just in my first couple of hours into Avernum Escape from the Pit and absolutely adore the scale and quality of the writing in the game.  I find the game mechanics old school but very easy to pick up and am having a blast.....these games should see me through the next decade  :)

We must be like minded. I had this strange dungeon crawling bug that was nagging at me, so I decided to give The Bard's Tale Trilogy: Remastered on Game Pass.

I remember reading the Atari ST, an other computer magazines when I was a kid, and seeing the ads back in 1985, but I never got to play it.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  I did a brief run with the pre-rolled "A-Team" but I decided to give it a go with my own party.  It's grindy but its fun.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

My favorite band of all time! Until they started to blow chunks around 2000. I will always love U2, though. I also learned this morning that one of Bono's sons has a band of his own named Inhaler. Not as catchy as U2 but the one track I heard by them was pretty good.

Ahem...anyway...this weekend I will be playing Panzer Corps 2, Partisans 1941, Order of Battle: Red Star and perhaps some Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Not tried the Bards Tale yet but the remastered Avernum series is perfectly playable on modern PC's  and all Spiderwebs newer games are clean and crisp and designed for Windows 10 which you can't say about a lot of old school games in this genre.

Queens Wish was only released in November I believe and is the first installment of a whole series of new games.

Writing in games is a much underrated skill in terms of immersion I feel.

Spiderweb nail it.

Gusington

Hmm just looked up Queen's Wish on Steam and it reminds me a bit of Times of Lore from Origin Systems, way back in the late 80s...in a good way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

"Blow chunks."  LOL.

You know, you just reminded me that I bought Bard's Tale Trilogy like donkeys ago and have yet to play it.  Maybe I'll boot it up tonight?

I'm certain some sort of submarine simming is on the horizon, and I'm seriously considering jumping back into WitP:AE.  Maybe some Command: Modern Operations.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Breh I loved the original Bard's Tale...also back in the 80s. I guess the 80s were the best decade of my life and now it's all downhill? Good Lord...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

After I play Get the Car Inspection Sticker I'm planning on finishing up my Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia campaign.  Just a few more territories to conquer and I win on normal difficulty.

Heroes & Generals just got patched with some new features including lowering the amount of grinding needed on a few items I'm dying to unlock. 

Continuing my Fields of Glory: Empires game with Jason.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2021, 02:39:40 PM
Breh I loved the original Bard's Tale...also back in the 80s. I guess the 80s were the best decade of my life and now it's all downhill? Good Lord...

I am still living in the 80s....much less stressful 😉

Gusington

^I should probably try it out.

Get the Car Inspection Sticker sounds like the least amusing game ever, except for maybe 'Get the Gonorrhea Test.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Tarkov, DCS and Hitman 3 for me.
And our ongoing Civ 6 PBEM.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

This weekend is going to suck...everyone in the house is sick (not COVID) and my wife is working a 24-hour shift on Saturday. Sick baby + sick 7 year old + sick Jarhead + no wifey = no gaming.

Everyone else enjoy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^I have been there. Embrace the suck...let it flow through you. Like mucus.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd