D-Day Omaha Beach First hours...

Started by gehrig38, November 20, 2014, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 20, 2014, 10:07:27 PMI've already got enough OCD in my life, but I really don't need more, though.

sure you do

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

back on topic - can't wait to see what happens as the guys hit the beach.  I'm looking forward to next turn :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I've been wanting to get this out and learn it, but I've just not had the time. I've had it for a while now too.  :-[

gehrig38

Turn 5
Landings
Neither beach sees any casualties in the 0715 wave. It's not a big one but The western sector gets 5 co's if Infantry (Kilo, Lima and India Co's 3/116 and Charlie/Delta get ashore together on Dog Green).
Only potential problem is K Co. They were pushed east by the tide and ended up beaching on top of 2nd Plt Charllie Co's Shermans. Normally not a bad thing but there are so many men and machines confined on Dog White 3 that they are offering up a big target (Anytime you have 5 steps or more in one hex all units are treated as if they possess the target symbol on the Germans fire card)
As the wave comes ashore the worry turns into reality. German artillery opens up and catches the men in K Co. out in the open.

Event
On Easy Red 1 Charlie Co's leader, Capt Morse, in the lead Sherman, leaps from the tank on 5 separate occasions to move wounded soldiers to cover and out of the path of his companies Shermans. A Hero is born....
On the right Pillbox Red 2 see's a large group of Germans entering the trench to reinforce the rear battery...

East Fire
On Fox Green a direct hit manages to destroy 1, and cripple the other remaining Shermans of 1st Platoon A/741. All operational tanks are gone.
Golf Company 2/16 gets chewed up moving through uncleared obstacles on Easy Red. A sniper wings Morse on his 6th trip but he stays on his feet
(Germans actually got a Star (which means a hero/leader can be killed if Germans have any hits left after other targets lose steps)

West Fire
2nd Rangers Co. takes fire and goes to ground at the AT Ditch on Dog Green.
Bingham's Shermans and men of Bravo 1/116 are caught in a crossfire from Pillbox G1, casualties start to mount in the west.

Engineers manage to put a gaping hole in the wire and obstacles on Easy Red while Engineers over on Easy Green follow suit, clearing a huge hole on the edge of Easy Green and Dog Red
Fire erupts from Easy Red as Shermans begin to unload. (remember I had an extra action
They manage to shake up and scramble soldiers in PB Blue 1 and Red 1 is quieted after Easy Co. 2/116 assaults up close and person, only to find they left their Browning on the beach... The Germans act and disrupt the attackers (once a unit flips it goes from having all weapons needed to assault a strongpoint to having specific ones left, which are on the counter. When you reveal a WN it has weapons on it, you have to have those weapons to make your attack more lethal. A hero can sub as a "wild card" weapon, but he always has a radio. Tanks can offer bazooka and adjacent they cover a few HW's)
In the West Corporal Bingham gets off an insane shot, nailing Germans in PB Purple 1 and settling them down a bit.

The arrows are pointing to the days objectives, the 4 draws leading off the beaches inland to hedgerow country.
0730 and losses are starting to mount.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 20, 2014, 09:53:53 PM
Just 10?  O:-)

Yes.  Within arms' reach, anyway.

There are more stashed elsewhere about the house.

>:D

Barthheart

Don't do it! Never give in! Stop the inhuman treatment of wargame counters everywhere!  :tickedoff:

Staggerwing

Are we at least allowed to trim their umbilici?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 06:15:37 AM
Don't do it! Never give in! Stop the inhuman treatment of wargame counters everywhere!  :tickedoff:

So, this is an anti-clipping rant? ;)

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 21, 2014, 07:35:11 AM
Are we at least allowed to trim their umbilici?

Yes, but don't carve them up by cutting the corners off!

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 21, 2014, 07:38:06 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

So, this is an anti-clipping rant? ;)

Yes it is. I'm on a mission (tilting at windmills I know) to save poor defenseless wargame counters from the senseless corner amputations that seem to have gripped our hobby.
Just use a knife or rotatory cutter (my favourite) to remove the counters from the sprues and you'll have pristine SQUARE counters.
C:-)  (:idiot2:)

bbmike

I had no idea about this counter clipping subculture! I Googled it was amazed at what I saw. But, wow, the clipped counters just looked so much better...  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on November 21, 2014, 08:31:13 AM
I had no idea about this counter clipping subculture! I Googled it was amazed at what I saw. But, wow, the clipped counters just looked so much better...  :D

I dunno. I don't see the aesthetics of having clipped counters. I understand clipping the little cardboard nipples off when the counters don't quite separate from the sheet or each other well enough. But doing it to make little angled slices on a square counter? Looks very sci-fi to me for some reason. If the game is a sci-fi themed one it makes more sense. Otherwise, I'm not really getting it.

This very much appeals to my OCD nature and I can hear my games in the cabinet behind me calling my name now. I will resist mainly because I just don't have time for that silliness.

Barthheart

Sorry to derail your excellent AAR gehrig38. Looking forward to more as I am interested in this game as well.

One question: do you find all the symbols on the map detract from the game/map or do you just see through them once you start playing?

gehrig38

Quote from: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 08:42:55 AM
Sorry to derail your excellent AAR gehrig38. Looking forward to more as I am interested in this game as well.

One question: do you find all the symbols on the map detract from the game/map or do you just see through them once you start playing?

I honestly don't even notice them in VASSAL. Now playing RAF: Lion as well and that map is just as busy. Think our imaginations allow us (at least me) to just think on the combat and the history and not get caught up in aesthetics with good games.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: gehrig38 on November 20, 2014, 10:47:24 PMIn the West Corporal Bingham gets off an insane shot, nailing Germans in PB Purple 1 and settling them down a bit.

Huzzah for CPL Bingham!