One of Those Somber Moments at Half-Price Books

Started by Cyrano, June 20, 2015, 07:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 30, 2015, 11:34:03 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:35:45 PM

You would not believe the number of games I have that are still in the shrink.

I don't get the completely unopened part, 'cause I just have to open them up and take a look when they arrive.

But un-punched and pristine?  Yeah, got numbers of those.

What puzzles me is all the work of including all the rules changes and c3i inserts and never playing the game.  Of course maybe it was an extra or back-up copy -- but then why open it and put in lots of stuff?

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on July 30, 2015, 11:34:03 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:35:45 PM

You would not believe the number of games I have that are still in the shrink.

I don't get the completely unopened part, 'cause I just have to open them up and take a look when they arrive.

I used to read and edit a lot of game reviews and comments about them. I also used to attend both Origins and GenCon regularly. As a result I collected a lot of buzz about a lot of games. I still do, but to a lesser extent.

As a result, in many cases I already knew a fair amount about a game. I might have played it or at least been through a demo of it. So opening many games wouldn't do much good until me and a buddy decided to play it.

I'll admit there are exceptions. I bought a couple of the huge Star Wars X-Wing ships to play with a buddy. Then he sold X-Wing off and bought Armada. My two ships are still in the shrink.

Hopefully that explains a little :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on June 21, 2015, 09:50:55 PM
Found at HPB today; almost as predicted:

I couldn't return it to the shelf- had to rescue it for my library.

I have seen a pretty good inscription or two in used books as well.  The most interesting is from a WWII USMC vet, who wrote inside my copy of "Operation Drumbeat", about his experience as a high school student, seeing the effects of the 1942 German U-boat assault from his Long Beach sea side home.  He later joined the USMC and fought at Okinawa.  A few keystrokes with Google, and I found some info on his military record.  http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/bib/loc.natlib.afc2001001.70032 

I am looking for the guy and / or his family to get it back to them.  A stranger recently gave me a 100 year old piece of my family's military history, so the rules of karma dictate that I look.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

I just scored an unpunched copy of AH's "Gladiator" for $30 at a local HPB.  The box top has some slight bowing but otherwise it's in good shape for a game made in 1981.  I'll probably wind up scanning the contents and then recreating the charts and map and perhaps look for some gladiator mini's to play it with and then putting this one on the shelf.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on August 18, 2015, 12:03:08 PM
I just scored an unpunched copy of AH's "Gladiator" for $30 at a local HPB.  The box top has some slight bowing but otherwise it's in good shape for a game made in 1981.  I'll probably wind up scanning the contents and then recreating the charts and map and perhaps look for some gladiator mini's to play it with and then putting this one on the shelf.

Ok, now yer just showing off....  :P

GJK

I'll have to tell you about the deal that I got on my 50" HD Smart TV over the weekend....  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on August 18, 2015, 01:10:56 PM
I'll have to tell you about the deal that I got on my 50" HD Smart TV over the weekend....  :)

Was the rear door on a delivery truck left open?  :P

BanzaiCat