ASL Starter Kit Learning Q&A With a Noob

Started by Bison, October 07, 2012, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I noticed on NWS that you can preorder the ASLSK 1-3 now through them with expected shipping dates next year.  However there is no mention of this on the MMP webpage that I saw.  Anyone know if this reprinting is the case?

I realize that the ASLSK expansion pack is a stand alone game, but I'm still finding it fairly tricky to learn.  So I was thinking that the best method for me would be to start with the ASLSK in order and learn the rules as presented in order.  It just, in my mind, makes it easy to process the rules without having to ignore the additional rules for armor or artillery as you learn how to play infantry rules.

*EDIT* I've changed the title, because I need some place to think my way through the ASLSK rules and gameplay.

GJK

The rulebooks for the EP and SK1-3 are all essentially the same except that each adds new things to what was presented in the previous kit.  So SK2 adds ordnance on top of infantry and SK3 adds tanks on top of ordnance and infantry.  The EP1 just adds more scenarios, nationalities and clarifies/corrects any issues that were in the SK3 rulebook.  If you have EP1, just pluck out the infantry only stuff and then play the one (or two) infantry only scenarios and then build upon that by reading the rules for the ordnance weapons. However, I do have electronic versions of the SK1, 2 and 3 rulebooks if you want to view those.  Just remember that the EP1 rulebook has all the errata that is needed for each of those rulesbooks.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I'd love to look at the SK rulebooks.  I think it's just the idea that I seperating them out means you have to sort of know what the heck is going on in the first place.  So I guess that the gradual build up makes more sense in my mind.  Is it crazy on my part?  Most likely.  :D

Bison

Well I set up a map.  Punched out some counters and sat down to "play" a turn.  My brain began to hurt trying to figure out WTF the manual was telling me about prep fire phase and the chart counting DRMs and FPs to cross reference MNC to roll some sort of saving throw.  All and all it went fairly well.  Next time I might actually figure out how to do a prep fire phase and maybe move a chit or two.

GJK

I'll set up a dropbox folder for you-if you like- and share out the scans that I made of the SK1 and SK2 rulebooks.  I'll also share some VASL pbem logs that might help you out.  There's some great (if not a bit dry, but very informative) YouTube vid's out there.  Search for entries by "idjester" and the primers by Joe Steadman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFk01JboIhk). 'idjester' has a video on how to set up VASL (I haven't watched it, I'm sure that it's current and accurate); if you don't have VASL/VASSAL set up, I'd set it up and then hang around the lobby and ask around for Patrick Ireland.  He's on a one man crusade to teach new players.  He'll share a dropbox folder full of goodies that he's assembled and he has the patience of a Saint.  I'd love to connect online via VASL with you, but I'm stuck with very limited internet at the moment.  I should have it set up this month however and if you're still wanting to learn, I'll connect with you.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I'll need to setup a dropbox account.  I've been watching a lot of youtube videos, which helps to keep my interest going.  The problem is that there is so much minutia in the rulebook.  Terrian hex X does -/+ bonus unless unit Y is located in a,b,c position then calculate e+f-q/2.   I think I just need to pull out 2 or 3 infantry units for each side and forget the scenarios.  That way I can isolate a very small fire fight to work my way through the turns.  I do have vassel on my laptop, but need to set it up on my desktop in the man corner (I don't rate a cave). 

Bison

OK.  I have setup dropbox.  Not sure how it works, but there I go with another project to learn.

GJK

Scenario S1 "Retaking Vierville" is a small, infantry only scenario included with the first SK.  I'll include that with what I put together for you but you're right - you just need to set up some infantry squads and practice moving them around the map and then try some small prep firing.  The most intricate part of the turn is the movement phase/defensive first fire sequence.  Once you grasp how that all interacts, you'll be over one of the largest hurdles to learning basic ASL. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: GJK on October 08, 2012, 11:49:58 AM
Scenario S1 "Retaking Vierville" is a small, infantry only scenario included with the first SK.  I'll include that with what I put together for you but you're right - you just need to set up some infantry squads and practice moving them around the map and then try some small prep firing.  The most intricate part of the turn is the movement phase/defensive first fire sequence.  Once you grasp how that all interacts, you'll be over one of the largest hurdles to learning basic ASL.

+1. Great ASL learning scenario. A friend of mine, an avid ASL player on and off for the past twenty years, walked me through the first two ASL Starter Kits last year. We had a blast playing through all of the scenarios. As I recall, I took the Germans in the "Retaking Vierville" scenario and had my arse handed to me by those pesky American paratroopers. We plan on cracking open ASL Starter Kit #3 pretty soon. Then, it will be on to learning the next largest hurdle in ASL: armor rules.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Bison

I'll need to wait and see if i have the counters for the scenario.  I've only got the expansion pack, so not sure how the counters will line up.

GJK

Lot's of goodies going up to that folder.  If it's ok with Bison, I'd suggest that we share it with any other ASL/SK players here in the hopes that we can perhaps get an ASL/SK group going that can play online (VASL).  I know DV8 would be up for it. 
If anybody wants access, PM me or cleverly post your email address here (camouflaged to be hidden from spambots) and I will open up the folder to you.  It contains a number of play-aids, articles, tactics, cheatsheets and other goodies.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Some cool pics from this years ASLOK (Octoberfest).  Note the 3D mapboard on page 7.  I *will* make me some of those maps one of these days!

http://desperationmorale.blogspot.com/2012/10/aslok-2012-photos-part-1.html
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

GJK I got the files so I'll start looking through them over the next few days and weeks.  I'm back to rereading the manual again after watching most of the primer videos on youtube.  Pretty good stuff that helped to explain some of what is happening. 

Yup no problem with anyone posting here lessons learned or tips or what not.  I plan on using this thread as a mental dump as I learn the game.  So hopefully I can post some pics to go along with my learning process to scale the straight vertcal learning curve cliff.

Bison

Wow.  I just did a quick look at the files.  Holy Shnikey, there is a lot of materials there to read and learn from about gameplay.