New Game, hopefully ... Rorkes Drift

Started by Zulu1966, April 29, 2013, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

So rather than just talking am trying to do ... a hugely downsized zoomed out version of a map for a game I have started working on ... (Fairly Large still though at 4MB)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9177/fullmapfinalhexcropped.png

I am sure I wont need to tell anyone here what it is...

This is the "Roofs off" view, (and the landing which will also be viewable as separate levels), fighting on them will be part of the game.

Any comments / suggestions welcome...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JudgeDredd

Map looks quite cool - but I don't know what that game is - sorry. :(

Is this your own game - actually programmed from the ground up or are you creating a scenario for an existing game?

Alba gu' brath

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bob48

That's what I assumed it was, anyway.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 29, 2013, 04:30:55 PM
Map looks quite cool - but I don't know what that game is - sorry. :(

Is this your own game - actually programmed from the ground up or are you creating a scenario for an existing game?

Sorry - my  own.

Rorkes Drift.

The Busicuit Box Barricade, dog leg and Redoubt get created during the game ( they wernt complete at the start)  which is  why they are missing from the image.
British will be at the individual level, Fire, Ammunition, wounds pick axe, mouseholing, patient evacuation etc even the watercart and thirst I hope to simulate discreetly. 
Zulu was the first film I Remember seeing and have been fascinated by the battle ever since. Just read Like  Wolves on the Fold by Mike Snook and that really brings home what a fight it was.
Even the Plank of wood that was thrown across the mealie bag rampart in front of the terrace is there. Unitl I read the book didnt know that happened - pity the poor guywho defended that.
Book is well worth a read - completely different view of the battle from the film.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

spelk

Zulu1966

Still debating whether to extend the map to the NW to include the Rail fence, ditch  and orchard or use a different method to simulate the zulu advance to contact.

Having read more on the battle its clear what a close in fight most of it was (especially after nightfall)  so not sure of the utility of doing that - but may add it for flavour in any case.

son_of_montfort

Yeah! I guessed it! Rorke's Drift is a great battle that needs more exposure!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

JudgeDredd

Can I ask what language you are using?
Alba gu' brath

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 30, 2013, 01:31:10 AM
Can I ask what language you are using?

C# - Very, very nice language to work with - especially with all the LINQ stuff thats part of .net now ... a game like this doesnt need all the headaches c++ brings to the party.

JudgeDredd

I have dabbled in C# - I enjoyed it and really should go back to it at some point.
Alba gu' brath

spelk

Zulu, if you need a tester for your game - or someone to bounce ideas off, I'm here for you fella!

I've read a lot of books about the Anglo-Zulu War, I've played as many games as I can about the era, I've even tried to create an Advanced Tactics scenario for an operational 'Invasion of Zululand' map.

http://advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=134&backto=1

Although its a very basic setup for the original Advanced Tactics and I haven't revisited since AT Gold turned up.

If there are historical facts you want to discuss, I'd also recommend visiting the Anglo-Zulu War forum (plenty of very knowledgeable people and information on the AZW there):

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/

I can't program in C#, but I do some programming as part of my normal working day. If I can help in anyway though, let me know.

Zulu1966

Quote from: spelk on April 30, 2013, 04:13:20 AM
Zulu, if you need a tester for your game - or someone to bounce ideas off, I'm here for you fella!

I've read a lot of books about the Anglo-Zulu War, I've played as many games as I can about the era, I've even tried to create an Advanced Tactics scenario for an operational 'Invasion of Zululand' map.

http://advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=134&backto=1

Although its a very basic setup for the original Advanced Tactics and I haven't revisited since AT Gold turned up.

If there are historical facts you want to discuss, I'd also recommend visiting the Anglo-Zulu War forum (plenty of very knowledgeable people and information on the AZW there):

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/

I can't program in C#, but I do some programming as part of my normal working day. If I can help in anyway though, let me know.

You read my mind Spelk ..  ;) will be in touch at some point not to worry .... Thanks.

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 30, 2013, 03:33:36 AM
I have dabbled in C# - I enjoyed it and really should go back to it at some point.

You should also take a look at monogame. Its an open source implementation of the XNA framework for c# (which is going from strength to strength since microsoft made the utterly unintelligible decision to drop support for it) and it allows very easy porting to almost every platform out there - including mac and ios.

Also plenty of other really good libraries out  there that make coding in c# much more of a pleasure.