Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Loco-Friday
Last post by MengJiao - Today at 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: Destraex on Yesterday at 07:59:20 PMStar Citizen
Company of Heroes
Who knows what else.

Gus you must be an absolute unit after years of lifting.

Maybe some Star Citizen, but mostly wandering around in Gray Zone Warfare.
Computer Gaming / Re: The Groginati Sales Thread
Last post by Gusington - Today at 12:57:08 PM
Nevermind, I stopped myself...I already own Sengoku Jidai complete...0.2 hours on record. That was close  :undecided:
Last post by Gusington - Today at 12:50:16 PM
Fantasy General complete and Sengoku Jidai complete for $20.00 total. Somebody stop me  :ROFL:
Last post by Gusington - Today at 12:40:49 PM
I always wanted to play the Sengoku Jidai titles. Damn you all to Hell  :twirl:
Tech Talk / Re: New Rig...part trois
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 12:25:20 PM
I've seen some REALLY good deals on prebuilds lately. With your budget, you can get a smokin' rig.
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by Con - Today at 11:38:10 AM
The trajectory ultimately is independent drones with AI
That means first line is ECM local superiority
Point defense
And I think we will eventually see hunter killer drones optimized for speed to rundown the leakers
The best weapon to shoot down a plane was another plane and that's a historical bet the drones will end up making as well
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by 88mmkwk - Today at 11:29:01 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on Yesterday at 07:05:35 AMI'm in the ECM camp. I think drones will more often than not be targeted through electronic means. Point defense weaponry platforms would be too costly for targeting all but the largest drones and those are capable of flying at altitude.

With respect to direct attacks against smaller commercially available drones, outside of more traditional man portable kinetic arms, I think ultimately next gen weaponry will prove most viable, such as laser, sonic, etc.

Something like this is pretty interesting: Portable Rifle EMP

It would of course result in drones with addition EMP protection being developed, but that all adds weight and so the chess game of counter-moves would continue....
Tech Talk / Re: New Rig...part trois
Last post by Con - Today at 10:06:56 AM
In the past 24hrs I have gotten sucked down the internet rabbit hole of all in one coolers versus custom open loop water cooler systems
Now I am almost convincing myself that I can bend and pipe a custom cooler
Anyone else done anything like this?
Con
Computer Gaming / Re: Capes (Super Hero game)
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:43:21 AM
I've had a chance to get deeper into the game. And am liking it very much.

From a tactical, turn-based combat point of view, I am really liking the game so far. Like XCOM2, tactical combat missions are sometimes difficult, and very satisfying when you manage to scrape through them.

Understanding the skills and powers of each of your "capes" is critical in many fights. Several of your team gain special powers when teamed with other specific members. This creates interesting tactical choices.

The battles seem to be well thought out...they are not dynamic, nor random. To win many battles, you have to play your team's powers against map obstacles, and force the bad guys into kill zones. When teamwork pulls this off, the effect is extremely satisfying. Although there is a little feeling of a 'solve the tactical puzzle' game. 

As stated earlier, there is no base building. However, your "capes" do gain experience. When your "capes" level up, you can select what skills to add and improve between missions. These choices are somewhat strategic, since they can affect how future fights will play out. 

I am a little concerned about long-term replay value however...since "Capes" is on 'rails.' But I'm 5 hours in and still having fun, so not really worried about it... Still, I can't see myself running through another playthrough after I'm done.  There are plenty of really good turn-based tactical combat games like "Mutant Year Zero" for example, that are still great games, even though you can't get off the rails.

There is a somewhat engaging story-line that plays between missions. The way the story integrates with combat reminds me of "Expeditions Rome." If you like those sorts of games, you will really like "Capes."

If you liked the combat aspect of XCOM2, but were agnostic regarding the base building and strategy game, then "Capes" is a great game for you.

However, if the dynamic strategy part of XCOM2 was important to you...then "Capes" will probably be just a sugar-high diversion and you might want to wait for a sale.
Welcome Aboard! / Re: Just wanted to say hello
Last post by bobarossa - Today at 06:47:57 AM
Quote from: daymansalvort on Today at 12:53:50 AMHi, I'm a newcomer to the forum, eager to dive into discussions, learn new things, and connect with fellow enthusiasts.
Note the signature,  definitely not a wargamer!

Edit: Great sig change! Hah!