"Masters Of The Air" - from the Band of Brothers team

Started by Redwolf, October 05, 2023, 08:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm a bit confused about the story arcs myself.  I read the book Masters of the Air, which I understand the TV series is based on.  That book focused on the US Army's 8th Air Force based out of the UK yet there are several scenes in the trailers that are showing the Tuskegee airmen and the 332nd Fighter Group which were part of the US 15th Air Force based in N. Africa, then Sicily, and then Italy.

There's also a few mention of the 100th, which I'm assuming is referring to the 100th Bomber Group (Bloody 100th) of the 8th Air Force so it looks like it'll be at least 2 story arcs based in different theatres.  It seems like there'll be a 3rd story arc about a POW as well so I'm expecting it to be more like The Pacific and less like Band of Brothers.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 07, 2023, 07:32:17 PMI'm a bit confused about the story arcs myself.  I read the book Masters of the Air, which I understand the TV series is based on.  That book focused on the US Army's 8th Air Force based out of the UK yet there are several scenes in the trailers that are showing the Tuskegee airmen and the 332nd Fighter Group which were part of the US 15th Air Force based in N. Africa, then Sicily, and then Italy.

There's also a few mention of the 100th, which I'm assuming is referring to the 100th Bomber Group (Bloody 100th) of the 8th Air Force so it looks like it'll be at least 2 story arcs based in different theatres.  It seems like there'll be a 3rd story arc about a POW as well so I'm expecting it to be more like The Pacific and less like Band of Brothers.

I read the book as well, and I loved it.

I am OK that the show will apparently go outside the boundaries of the book it is based on. Wouldn't be the first time Hollywood has done that. In the end, what matters is good story telling and as much historical accuracy as possible.

I agree with you...based on the trailers it looks like we are going to get many story arcs. That works for me.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

I agree silent. After seeing what Ridley did with Napoleon, I am a little worried this will be a rushed job that focuses on everything but the b17s. I stopped watching Das Boot 2 because the first episode seemed to spend at least 50% of the time away from subs. Now masters of the air looks like it will focus on everything but bomber action.
The cgi physics also looks pretty underwhelming.
Kinda makes me pine for blu ray versions which "cut the crap" so to speak so you don't have to sit through the "for everybody but fans scenes". I just want a longer memphis belle.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

:Dreamer: I loved Memphis Belle. One of my all-time favorites and I haven't seen it in such a long time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Vox

Twelve O'Clock High (1949) Gregory Peck. One of my fav,  and one the few times "Hollywood" gets it right.

bobarossa

Quote from: Vox on December 09, 2023, 06:40:11 AMTwelve O'Clock High (1949) Gregory Peck. One of my fav,  and one the few times "Hollywood" gets it right.
Anyone know what the audience reaction was when it was released?

ArizonaTank

First episode airs Jan 26th.  I am stoked!!!

Here is the opening sequence:

BTW, I just posted a virtual tour of the Thorpe Abbotts Airfield, in South Norfolk, UK, where the real 100th Bomb Group operated out of.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12709.msg736226;topicseen#msg736226
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tripoli

FWIW, the "Unauthorized History of the Pacific War" podcast will be doing an 8-part series on the 8th Air Force to dovetail with the "Masters of the Air" show. For those who haven't listened/seen their Youtube videos, this is an exceptionally outstanding analysis on the Pacific War.  Now they will be briefly covering the daylight bombing campaign in Europe. From their podcast:

"Seth and Bill have a quick special announcement to make regarding an upcoming WWII miniseries.  Masters of the Air, premiering January 26 on Apple TV+ will be a cinematic adventure that needs to be seen by all WWII aficionados.  Seth, Bill and new guest historian Tommy Lofton will dissect each new episode of Masters of the AIr the Monday after it airs.  We will tell you what was accurate, what wasn't, what they covered, and what they should've covered while giving you tidbits of the actual history of the Bloody 100th Bomb Group. 

This will be a limited run 9-week miniseries here on our channel and will not take the place of our normal show, this limited 9-week show will be in addition to our normal programming.  Our first dissection will air Tuesday January 30 just after our normal show airs."

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

steve58

QuoteApple gave viewers a bit of a treat ahead of the Friday premiere. The tech giant dropped the first five minutes of the show so viewers could be introduced to the characters of "Masters of the Air."

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

So I really, really, really wanted to watch this mini-series, but I didn't have Apple TV+ cause I'm cheap.  Did a little interneting and found out you can get it for free, for 3 months!  Which works perfectly, since the final episode will be on March 15th.

Came across this article:  https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apple-tv-plus-free-trials

I got it through the Best Buy option (new or qualified returning subscribers only).  A bit annoyed had to enter a cc at the Best Buy website and then again at Apple TV.  Will be keeping an extra eye on the cc for the next few months.  So I ended up with a free 7 day trial, then a free 3 month subscription.  :twirl:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

^This helps me muchly because I also don't have Apple TV and I am also cheap.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

I am cheap, but forgetful so I would not cancel until I got the bill.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

our 3 free months will end halfway through the series.  we got the trial for Foundation and For All Mankind.
I'm still kinda meh over this series.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Even if can't get for free, subscription is only $10 per month, for this series you just need two months which is $20 ($2.22 per episode).  Gets you nine episodes, not too mention all the other shows and movies available during that time.  Even if only buying for this series, still way cheaper than going to movies for something like this and don't need to leave your house:)