Undisputed Boxing - Jan 31st

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 14, 2023, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

A little departure from war gaming, not sure how many boxing fans are out there, been awhile since a game has been available on PC with potential.  I participated in some of the betas and I was pretty impressed with what I saw.  In any event, coming to early access on January 31st, for those interested.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451190/Undisputed/

Steel City Interactive has announced Undisputed is coming to Steam Early Access on January 31. It will cost $29.99 and fans can add to your wishlist now.

There will be over 50 playable characters in the Early Access phase, including Tyson Fury, Canelo Alvarez, Deontay Wilder, Katie Taylor, along with a fully-fledged women's division, in six distinct locations, including a large arena and Coldwell's gym.

Revolutionary footwork mechanics, including a Loose Movement modifier to help you get around the ring with ease.
More than 60 individual punches. Punch from multiple angles and directions. Feint to set up a trap and counter.
50+ licensed fighters at the start of Early Access, with more to come, including a fully-fledged Women's Division.
Incredibly detailed boxers models, utilizing the latest scanning technology.
The WBC, British Boxing Board of Control, and other real-life boxing organizations.
Boxing equipment and apparel brands such as Empire Pro Tape, Rival, Cleto Reyes, & Adams.
The team also mentions they haven't optimized the game for Steam Deck but some players tried it out during beta with varied results. We've posted some impressions from the Undisputed Beta here.

Dammit Carl!

Sweet!  Added to wishlist and thank you!

Old TImer

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks amazing.

Gusington

I am just the most casual of boxing fans but this game looks insane.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Busy day for game buying:)

Undisputed is set to release sometime today, although there appears to be lack of clarity as to when.  Best I can gather regardless of what the steam store clock says, either 10am or 11am, or possibly a little later.  But still planned for today which is the most important thing.  Really looking forward to some boxing action.

W8taminute

Now this looks good, thanks for sharing.  The last boxing game I played was Punch Out!! back in the olden days.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I was a big fan of the career mode in a PS3 boxing game some years ago (The Champ? not at home where I can check, but it was the one with the cinematic campaign like a boxing movie. Campaign was great, too, until the final fight against the Iceman where the game forces you into 12 ridiculous goal-based rounds against someone who will snuff you if he lands one hit, despite clearly being able to take him on in a three round match once the final rounds unlock.  :tongue:  :tickedoff: )

$30 isn't a dang good price for opening day today, if the game plays as advertised on the PC. I'm suspicious whether a controller setup will allow for all the fancy moves they say you can do. Will wishlist (when I get home) and watch for initial reviews!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

I actually think the $30 price is pretty good, but more so for what it will eventually become.  Most sports games like this are much more expensive in the end.  Today you get 50 fighters and you can do individual matches.  No career mode yet, but will at some point you will.  You can also do some prize fights such as Fury vs Wilder.  Also online matches available for multiplayer.  The punch mechanics are really good so far, all the type of punches, blocks, and evades you would imagine and they can be done by buttons or using the right stick. The only fight mechanic I really don't like so far is how you attempt to recover from a knockdown.  These games always introduce some mini-game to recover and I hate that, rather it just be based on the situation versus some gimmick.  In this case, you have to use the right and left trigger to individually line up your cursor within some blocks as they move up and down, so far I stink at that because of the coordination.  Love for a feature to be added to skip that as I will be knocked out every time I hit the canvas.  Sure I'll get better with more practice.

So far had two fights, both I ended up knocked out, not even close.  I have to show better patience as I continue to throw punches all the time, versus using all the tactics you should....my opponent has made me pay.  Think it "is" a fun game right now but certainly will grow even better through EA and whenever career mode gets here.

For me worth the investment especially at the lower price as I believe it will eventually increase whenever fully released.....

This will keep my plenty busy for now....

W8taminute

While I do want to jump in on this one 30 clams for an EA game is kind of steep IMHO.  I guess I'm one of those jaded buyers who've been burnt with early access titles before. 

There is a stigma, that not everyone shares I suppose, associated with early access.  Many don't ever go gold.  By the time those games that do go gold actually go gold my enthusiasm has all but vanished. 

Still, I'm hopeful for this one.  It would be nice to play something completely different for a change but something that was completely released and fleshed out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CptHowdy

lets fight grim! got it downloaded and had my first fight right after tutorial. was a draw but i think i should have won! let me know when you are available. i can fight anytime.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on January 31, 2023, 04:28:00 PMWhile I do want to jump in on this one 30 clams for an EA game is kind of steep IMHO.  I guess I'm one of those jaded buyers who've been burnt with early access titles before. 

There is a stigma, that not everyone shares I suppose, associated with early access.  Many don't ever go gold.  By the time those games that do go gold actually go gold my enthusiasm has all but vanished. 

Still, I'm hopeful for this one.  It would be nice to play something completely different for a change but something that was completely released and fleshed out.

It's everyone's choice to make, no wrong or right answer.  Personally I have never been burned by an early access project so all my experiences have been positive (or what I expected) without any regrets so its easy for me to continue joining them.  As for cost, yep not for everyone but I look at this from the perspective of knowing I would buy at release anyways (which likely will be higher price), even if it was a marginal boxing game as there isn't much out there.

But completely understand, if I was burned or had bad experiences....I would be cautious as well.  And no doubt there is a lot to add before a complete product is available and certainly some issues for them to work out.  Nothing wrong with waiting until that happens.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on January 31, 2023, 05:14:10 PMlets fight grim! got it downloaded and had my first fight right after tutorial. was a draw but i think i should have won! let me know when you are available. i can fight anytime.

Yep, we will have to find a time for sure.  I stink right now as I can't master getting up after knocked down, really hate the mini game mechanic.  I haven't won or got a draw yet:(

CptHowdy

oh yeah the minigame sucks. lost the gatti-ward fight due to that mechanic. let me just button mash to get up or have a small bar that moves like those golf games where you try to stop the swing meter in a certain zone. just let me know when you ya want to rumble!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on January 31, 2023, 05:50:25 PMoh yeah the minigame sucks. lost the gatti-ward fight due to that mechanic. let me just button mash to get up or have a small bar that moves like those golf games where you try to stop the swing meter in a certain zone. just let me know when you ya want to rumble!

Yep or no mini game at all.  Not sure why we can't just base recovery on the situation at hand (i.e. stamina, type hit, luck, health, etc.) versus introducing some game mechanic that rewards people with game skills more than the actual fight situation.  Maybe I will get used to it or even better, hopefully they provide options for something different eventually.

Grim.Reaper

Finally won my first fight, using Ali.  Was a 12 round war but I won by split decision.  Never got knocked down and knocked down my opponent once.  Was a long grueling match to stay alive as I was always low on stamina.  Good time.