The patch to unlock all scenarios has been released

Version 1.133

the 'unlock all button' for all players
fixed loading campaign scenario from auto save
fixed the wrong symbol in Recon at Prokhorovka Campaign
can not reproduce the "?"-"ß" mistake in german texts
fixed reload chance not shown in unaimed fire description
fixed concealment on loading an auto saved game
I adjusted times for to avoid the hang bug (game is a bit slower now)

bobarossa

So, do you think people who have never played ASL would enjoy this game? 

Geezer

Quote from: bobarossa on February 06, 2023, 07:29:52 AMSo, do you think people who have never played ASL would enjoy this game? 

I haven't played ASL in over 30 years so it might as well have been that I never played it.  Enjoying this game so far and would recommend it to gamers who like tactical WWII games.  You can watch plenty of gameplay, review, and tutorial videos on Youtube to check it out.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bobarossa on February 06, 2023, 07:29:52 AMSo, do you think people who have never played ASL would enjoy this game? 

Never played asl...so far enjoying so wouldn't say it's required.

devoncop

Well I don't think it is for me but as someone who was quite critical earlier on the thread the responsiveness of the developer to the locked scenario criticism and the speed of the patching has to be applauded.

Paradox could learn a lot.....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

ArizonaTank

Yes, I think so.

ASL-like features and turn sequence have popped up quite a bit in turn-based tactical computer games over the last ten years or so.

ASL-like is a solid, logical way to portray combat in turn-based physical games.

Having said that, I think the ASL-like gameplay doesn't allow the computer to shine. ASL was conceived over 40 years ago, for board-game play. But having played a bunch of ASL (and loved it), I do think it can be "gamey" at times...just because it is a physical board game.

I think a much better use of the computer's ability in WWII tactical, turn-based combat are WEGO systems, like Battlefront's Combat Mission 1 and CMx2 series.

Still, to get a gaming audience hyped about a computer game, the SF dev made a solid choice, ASL-like is always a crowd pleaser.

BTW, I applaud the dev in another way. The ASL-style gameplay is not easy to pull off well in a computer game. The Matrix/Slitherine catalog is peppered with several awkward attempts. I find at least one of them to be downright painful to play. So in IMHO, the SF dev has done an excellent job in implementing a very good UI.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Thanks for the opinions!  I realized that I have purchased 4 games in last two months and only barely touched one of them so far (Knights of Honor 2).  I am going to hold off on purchasing but will probably get it later this year.

Geezer

Version 1.137

fixed a urgent bug what let steam not show the game is stopped
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Bardolph

Yah, I reported that a day or two ago. Jo replied in that thread and said he was able to duplicate the issue and was working on a fix. My play time went from two hours to 18 hours without me being there lol! Glad to see he stomped that bug so quickly

Sir Slash

One piece of advice, avoid Melee Combat unless you have no other alternative. Three German squads plus a Leader vs one Russian squad and a Leader equals everybody KIA, on both sides!  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skoop

The key is the leader.  Kill or break the leader and you'll win the melee.

acctingman

So, how is everyone liking the game?

I try and avoid steam reviews/forums but there are quite a few non-toxic posts. I think it's the "quality" of the folks who play these sorts of games  :RockOn:

I read that the RNG has been toned down a bit, which was my #2 concern (#1 being locked scenarios, which they'd addressed).

I've watched several Youtube videos (mainly DasTactic) and the game seems pretty decent. It will kick your ass if you play dumb, but lots of good vids out there.

Geezer

The game is fun for me, but I'm finding it a bit hard.  Even when I think a move is safe it often happens that I missed an enemy unit that could shoot.  That usually ends up badly for me.  You really have to look for every possible enemy with a LoS before moving.

I started with the Soviet scenarios and their units break if an enemy gives them even a harsh look.  Realistic in some cases, but there were also times their men fought to the last bullet.  Might switch to the German or US scenarios for a different perspective.

acctingman

Quote from: Geezer on February 08, 2023, 05:29:04 PMThe game is fun for me, but I'm finding it a bit hard.  Even when I think a move is safe it often happens that I missed an enemy unit that could shoot.  That usually ends up badly for me.  You really have to look for every possible enemy with a LoS before moving.

I started with the Soviet scenarios and their units break if an enemy gives them even a harsh look.  Realistic in some cases, but there were also times their men fought to the last bullet.  Might switch to the German or US scenarios for a different perspective.

Thanks Geezer

I think I'll keep an eye out for future updates before I buy it (it's a for sure purchase for me, but I want to see if the developer is going to flesh things out a bit).

Sir Slash

I'm really liking it. Another update today, the locks are off! Or rather the un-lock buttons are on. Thank you developers.  :notworthy:  Geezer is right, the AI is a very worthy opponent and you'll get your ass shot-off if you don't check those LOS's.  :magnify:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.