System Shock 1 remake

Started by -budd-, March 30, 2016, 10:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Just found this, its heading for kickstarter. It being made in unity and apparently the original concept artist is lending a hand. System shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, hope that gets the same treatment eventually. looking forward to replaying the first game, i've looked at it but even i have trouble with number 1's graphics and i play some old shit.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MIGMaster

I see the demo is out - looks great - The first SS was was one of the best games I've played!

Jarhead0331

Welp...was in development forever, but it was finally released today. Receiving very good reviews.

I got it, but have a hell week. Not sure when I'll get to it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Preordered this a while ago and I'm quite happy with it.  Great combat and very faithful recreation of the original game while adding some basic QOL stuff.   :halfrobot:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Preordered a while ago. No brainer for me as the Shock series is one of my favorites. Locked and loaded, controls remapped, just waiting for the weekend to jump in. Looking forward to the System Shock 2 enhanced edition being released also, another reason to visit the Von Braun again.

JasonPratt

Pretty sure I preordered the SS2 update, too!  :ThumbsUp:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

So much time has passed since the original but I think I can still remember hacking turrets, etc., in that game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Loved the original 2.  I was going to jump on this but something about the art design just doesn't resonate with me. Everything seems a bit too bright, colorful and low resolution for my tastes.  It detracts from the horror elements.

Gusington

I hate when I agree with you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hate that you hate that.  Does that fill you with even more hate?

Go buy Destroyer!  Crashing into icebergs is ever so much fun...

Gusington

^You really are my spirit robot.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 31, 2023, 12:26:39 PMLoved the original 2.  I was going to jump on this but something about the art design just doesn't resonate with me. Everything seems a bit too bright, colorful and low resolution for my tastes.  It detracts from the horror elements.

Haven't played yet, can't say I disagree with your initial impressions. The art design did strike me as off. I play a lot of old shit so the low res won't bother me. I've been trying to stay away from info about it but did see some remarks about the music also. My hope is they got the shock feeling right and once I start playing those impressions will fade. I'll find out this weekend.

al_infierno

For what it's worth, when I play the game I hardly notice the lo-fi art direction.  When you're walking around the station taking in the graphics as a whole, you (or I) don't really notice the little blocky textures because the whole thing looks so damn good together.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

There is a free DEMO on steam. Tried it and it's really good. I now know why people kept gushing to me about playing this way back in the day.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

Well, I was having my doubts. All I really wanted was a remake in the style of SS2. I'm over 4 1/2 hours  in I just finished Medical, died 3 times. First couple of hours was really slow and I wasn't getting that Shock gameplay feeling. Then the game started picking up, story elements starting moving along , more frequent encounters and I started getting that Shock feeling. The controls and combat encounters are pretty spot on for the SS2 feeling. The graphics are low poly, especially up close, but unless your going to stare at them its no big deal to me. No bugs so far, and I've been increasing the graphics as I go to see how much I can push my old gaming laptop. There are still a few things I'm hoping to see and I'm wondering if the game can keep up the momentum. So far, so good, if you liked SS2 this will be up your alley IMHO.