New Combat Mission ?

Started by Zulu1966, April 04, 2016, 12:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

IronX

Nice find!

Not much info at this stage, but appears to be a kind of Close Combat successor. 

"Its not CC, its not CM, its better than both." I like Sulla's optimism.

Will definitely keep an eye on it as it develops.

WallysWorld

I agree that it seems more like a Close Combat game. Here are some new screenshots just posted: http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=566
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Rayfer

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 04, 2016, 02:33:12 PM
I agree that it seems more like a Close Combat game. Here are some new screenshots just posted: http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=566

Some of the screen shots do and others don't at all.....remind me of the Close Combat games that is.

sandman2575

Holy crow that looks amazing.     :o

Knew nothing about this -- thanks for posting Zulu.  Something new to keep an eye on...

Redwolf

Screenshots with no UI elements visible.

I know where this is heading...

Rayfer

Quote from: Redwolf on April 04, 2016, 06:46:28 PM
Screenshots with no UI elements visible.

I know where this is heading...

Not sure what you mean?

FlickJax

wow that does look good.....day one

spelk

JC/R&SWars tweeted this link, an article by Alex Connolly:

http://www.wargamer.com/news/the-tactical-art-of-combat-the-next-catch-all-combat-king/

Rayfer

Quote from: spelk on April 05, 2016, 04:39:34 AM
JC/R&SWars tweeted this link, an article by Alex Connolly:

http://www.wargamer.com/news/the-tactical-art-of-combat-the-next-catch-all-combat-king/

Thanks for the link spelk.  A short, to-the-point summary of what the game wants to be.

sandman2575

Man, they are promising A LOT. Love the ambition but also slightly worrying. Still, if they pull this off, or even just most of it, this looks like the one WW2 tactical simulator to rule them all...

Is there any timeframe on possible release?  I assume we're looking at at least a few years away here --

Michael Dorosh

I'm torn. I downloaded War Thunder because I was sick of the popup ads and decided to just Play For Free to see what it is all about.

The maps were gorgeous, and I think it even did a better job of CM at capturing armour-vs-armour engagements - what could be more immersive than sitting in a gunner's seat, and trying to find that perfect hull-down position, keyholed LOS, and then having it pay off with a perfect ambush? You can replicate tank-v-tank actions in CM, but the interface is so clunky at finding hull down spots and tracing LOS it is not always rewarding.

But then I think about how great it is in CM to be able to create free-form maps. While they don't have the granularity (or "realism") of FPS and MMMORPG games (or even Close Combat), I remind myself it really isn't necessary for a true tactical game. And it's a much different challenge to command a company than to run a single vehicle around (even with health packs, etc.)

My own preference would be for the ability to create user-made maps, even if the fidelity is less, than to play repeatedly on the same handful of high-resolution 3-D maps no matter how gorgeous.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 05, 2016, 11:08:00 AM
I'm torn. I downloaded War Thunder because I was sick of the popup ads and decided to just Play For Free to see what it is all about.

The maps were gorgeous, and I think it even did a better job of CM at capturing armour-vs-armour engagements - what could be more immersive than sitting in a gunner's seat, and trying to find that perfect hull-down position, keyholed LOS, and then having it pay off with a perfect ambush? You can replicate tank-v-tank actions in CM, but the interface is so clunky at finding hull down spots and tracing LOS it is not always rewarding.

But then I think about how great it is in CM to be able to create free-form maps. While they don't have the granularity (or "realism") of FPS and MMMORPG games (or even Close Combat), I remind myself it really isn't necessary for a true tactical game. And it's a much different challenge to command a company than to run a single vehicle around (even with health packs, etc.)

My own preference would be for the ability to create user-made maps, even if the fidelity is less, than to play repeatedly on the same handful of high-resolution 3-D maps no matter how gorgeous.

Would have to agree with this. A map editor is one of the biggest sells for me in cm. When you consider all the toys in the series now the scope with a freeform map editor is huge. There would have to be an awful lot of maps. But I will of course buy this day one if it gets anywhere close to their ambitions.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.