Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Geezer on February 08, 2023, 05:29:04 PMThe game is fun for me, but I'm finding it a bit hard.  Even when I think a move is safe it often happens that I missed an enemy unit that could shoot.  That usually ends up badly for me.  You really have to look for every possible enemy with a LoS before moving.

That's certainly realistic! (I own it but still haven't played yet. I currently suck at time management...)

QuoteI started with the Soviet scenarios and their units break if an enemy gives them even a harsh look.  Realistic in some cases, but there were also times their men fought to the last bullet.

This sounds like it models the catastrophic Soviet command-and-communications snafu during 1941, combined with an institutional training of Soviet troops to stick to the (at-the-time-falling-apart) plans of their superior officers at risk of being shot by Soviet bullets (both the soldiers and the officers). This made for brittle morale in many cases at the time, although a few prodigies were achieved early on where things went more-or-less to Soviet pre-war plans. (Mainly capturing bridges and enemy territory on the other side of rivers where TeamNazi wasn't attacking from.)

"Uh, sirs, we're being attacked. Is it time to open the M-Day plans?"
"DO NOT OPEN THE PLANS UPON PENALTY OF BEING SHOT AS A TRAITOR!"
"....okay, well, uh, do you have any other plans?"
"...bssshhk, crackle, static..."
"You realize we can hear you saying that."
{Stukas wipe out the radio network nodes}
"Hello? ...Comrade Ivan, should we open the plans??"
"Shot by the Huns or by the Chekists, what's the difference now?? .......what the borscht, these plans are completely useless!!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Liking it a lot as well.  Haven't even played any of the scenarios/campaigns that come with the game. Everyone says they are really tough.  I'm enjoying the map/scenario creator program, making my own maps and various scenarios.  I hope they flesh out the map creator to add more variety in buildings, rivers, roads and such.

Sir Slash

OK, I lost the Factories at Pskov scenario so I'm 1 for 2. I couldn't get to the last Victory Point in time. I had the strength for the win, just ran out of time. So, question. Is there any way to see how many turns a scenario has, or how many are left to play in a scenario? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Geezer

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 09, 2023, 11:40:04 AM...So, question. Is there any way to see how many turns a scenario has, or how many are left to play in a scenario? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything.

The victory points for objectives count down by 10 each turn.  So the highest number on any objective divided by 10 ten tells you the maximum number of turns for the scenario.  If you have to capture all objectives then dividing each by 10 will tell you how many turns you have to take each objective.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

em2nought

Are there forts ala Fort Eben-Emael in the map editor?  Realizing that's not quite in the current timeline for the game of course.
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

Thanks Geezer. I hadn't thought of that.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bardolph

Quote from: em2nought on February 09, 2023, 12:49:40 PMAre there forts ala Fort Eben-Emael in the map editor?  Realizing that's not quite in the current timeline for the game of course.

There are some bunkers and such, more like Normandy beach or Siegfried Line stuff than Eben Emael. Didn't really look that closely, been making maps and scenarios but haven't tried that sort of thing yet. There is a LOT of railway stuff and Stalingrad style factory buildings in there too. Would be nice to have a bigger variety of buildings- Normandy, German, Low Countries etc. but perhaps in time.

Like Rayfer I've probably spent more time messing with the editor making maps and scenarios than actually playing the scenarios that came with the game. There are things I take issue with, but all in all for $30 its a damn good effort.

To the chap who said he was going to wait and see if the designer was going to flesh things out, it already has a bigger variety of units and terrain than Squad Leader shipped with. And Squad Leader did ok. And the dev has been actively squashing bugs and participating on the forums. Why wait? Buy it now to support future expansion!  :grin:

GDS_Starfury

QuoteThere is a LOT of railway stuff

do a Kelly's Heros scenario.  :Party:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

There's already one in the Workshop. Does NOT include a Marching Band.

Skoop

Haven't played it but the Kelly's hero's scenario is one of the highest rated workshop scenarios.

crowdrake

this is the best wargame i ever played !!! nothing else to say, except been waiting for a true ASL type game like this for years, they said back then it could not be done

crowdrake

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 14, 2023, 11:16:11 PMThere's already one in the Workshop. Does NOT include a Marching Band.

But does it include the grave diggers battalion?  Oh what the hell am I doing here?  Booker!  Get me my uniform!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Old TImer

Isn't there an expansion in the works?  Any kind of a timeline on it?

crowdrake

no need for expansion, as loads of scenarios by steam users in steam workshop, and map editor