Main Menu

Starfield

Started by Zulu1966, December 11, 2021, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Release date announced to be September 6, 2023.   Also will be Starfield Direct event on June 11th.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

FarAway Sooner

I wonder how hard the game devs had to work to get it ready for that release date?

:ROFL:

Jokes aside, I wish everybody discussed in this thread good luck, whether they are in the first person or the third person.  I've had a long and pretty fortunate career. 

I don't know that I feel that different about my job than do a lot of the younger people I'm working with these days, EXCEPT that I don't feel entitled and I know that my poop usually smells like poop after it happens.  If they don't want to work as hard or do work that they find boring, I feel like that's their choice.  They just need to approach the choices they make with a little more humility, I often think.

I also know that, in the US at least, my kids' generation will have fewer good career opportunities than did my generation.

Destraex

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 10, 2023, 12:04:01 AMI wonder how hard the game devs had to work to get it ready for that release date?

:ROFL:

Jokes aside, I wish everybody discussed in this thread good luck, whether they are in the first person or the third person.  I've had a long and pretty fortunate career. 

I don't know that I feel that different about my job than do a lot of the younger people I'm working with these days, EXCEPT that I don't feel entitled and I know that my poop usually smells like poop after it happens.  If they don't want to work as hard or do work that they find boring, I feel like that's their choice.  They just need to approach the choices they make with a little more humility, I often think.

I also know that, in the US at least, my kids' generation will have fewer good career opportunities than did my generation.
I think career opportunities are the same the devloped world over. Jobs either require experience and ridiculous qualifications for what they are... even pushing paper around in an office requires a degree these days. Which makes changing careers and being flexible a little harder. Or the competition for the lower tier jobs is intense or outsourced overseas. There are exceptions of course, here the exceptions are the tradies (plumbers etc) because a shortage pushed their wages into the stratosphere.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

^Here in the US too. Carpenters/plumbers/electricians/masons are laughing all the way to the bank in 2023.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Our educational institutions sadly neglected those professions for about 15 or 25 years too long.  People started calling for more vocational/technical education in the US since around 1990, but we never really got behind it with more than token support for another 25 years or so.  That's probably due to the myth of American classlessness, among many other causes. 

Combine that with how a changing immigration picture affected a lot of low- and medium-skilled "craftish" populations, and the US is now learning a tough lesson in the laws of supply and demand.  As a guy who's made my living in the white-collar service sector, I don't begrudge them the good fortune. 

Our local technical program for High School kids boosts a 97% graduation rate.  One kid got 7 certifications and landed a job paying $108,000 out of high school.  You can bet the school district's vo-tech people talk about him a lot!

Especially the folks who work for or run small businesses in those sectors seem to work their butts off.  I'm sure that The Great Resignation following COVID didn't help.

JasonPratt

As a former small factory owner/manager, who managed to sell our business less than two months before the pandemic got into gear (coincidentally), it never affected our (former) business much directly, including in manpower -- although occasionally one or more of us have to stay out with a bout of it for five-ish days. And for a small business, one or two people being out is a significant and even substantial percentage of work-power, especially on key duties.

I still work there part-time so I also still get to hear and see results all up and down the supply chain, which also affect us and thus our customers.

......also, Starfield has been pushed up a month sooner in their release schedule, so September could be awesome!  :cool:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

greengiant

While the concept is intriguing, it's Todd Howard. Believe that about 30% of what he totes will be true, 70% garbage and true to form a huge amount of modding input from the community to actually deliver what he promises in terms of the over-all vision.

I'll wait... and see.

Skoop

Preordered, I think this is going to be game of the year and mods will keep people playing for a decade like skyrim.

SirAndrewD

Preordered as well.

The similarities with Starflight are enough to sell me. 

Yeah, I know Todd Howard lied his butt off for Fallout 76, but it's really an aberration in Bethesda's track record. 

I'm not going to hold that against them here.  It didn't follow their formula and Starfield does.  I think it'll be a huge and good time sink.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I was pleasantly surprised to see this as part of my Xbox Gamepass subscription and will be available day one on it.  Obviously a no brainer for me to try it out:)

DetCord

I just preordered the Digital Premium Edition after listening to a friend of mine describe his experiences (review copy) for nearly an hour on Discord. He's absolutely blown away, and this is coming from someone that thought F76 was abysmal, F4 is utterly mediocre, and Skyrim is completely overrated.

Sold. 

Destraex

Quote from: DetCord on August 22, 2023, 10:16:04 PMI just preordered the Digital Premium Edition after listening to a friend of mine describe his experiences (review copy) for nearly an hour on Discord. He's absolutely blown away, and this is coming from someone that thought F76 was abysmal, F4 is utterly mediocre, and Skyrim is completely overrated.

Sold. 

Just to qualify things, I am curious to know what your friend thinks of star citizen in comparison and what games he does actually think are stellar apart from starfield. But it sounds like starfield is a winner from all the things I am hearing.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on August 23, 2023, 01:20:55 AMJust to qualify things, I am curious to know what your friend thinks of star citizen in comparison and what games he does actually think are stellar apart from starfield. But it sounds like starfield is a winner from all the things I am hearing.

I can say right now, I own Star Citizen and it's a pile of warm crap.

I have tried to play it over and over and it doesn't even approach Elite in approachability or playability even though Elite has less going for it.

Starfield looks to offer more than Star Citizen does, especially in single player experience.  And it offers it out of the box, not far in the future with X number of more dollars spent on top of the hundreds of millions people have dumped into it.

It's Bethesda, it'll have bugs, but this is what I wanted from Star Citizen in 2013 and still don't have.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

acctingman

Oh....wow! This is the first I've heard of this game. It's an RPG? Interesting....sci-fi isn't really my thing, but I'll keep an eye on this one.