Best "ship and crew" genre games

Started by al_infierno, January 17, 2023, 02:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Does anyone remember the name of this ship and crew game from the 80's?  You controlled a spaceship and crew.  The crew were represented as dots.  I think you could land on planets and space stations(?) to look for clues or complete quests.  Your ship could be boarded and I think you could board other ships. I had it for the C64 and I think it required 4 floppy disks.  Any clues?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: KyzBP on February 01, 2023, 06:04:13 AMDoes anyone remember the name of this ship and crew game from the 80's?  You controlled a spaceship and crew.  The crew were represented as dots.  I think you could land on planets and space stations(?) to look for clues or complete quests.  Your ship could be boarded and I think you could board other ships. I had it for the C64 and I think it required 4 floppy disks.  Any clues?

Maybe starflight....

https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/starflight

undercovergeek

Quote from: KyzBP on February 01, 2023, 06:04:13 AMDoes anyone remember the name of this ship and crew game from the 80's?  You controlled a spaceship and crew.  The crew were represented as dots.  I think you could land on planets and space stations(?) to look for clues or complete quests.  Your ship could be boarded and I think you could board other ships. I had it for the C64 and I think it required 4 floppy disks.  Any clues?

Was it psi5 trading company?

I had that on c64 loved it

Grim.Reaper

If it does turn out to be starflight which I think strong possibility, you can actually buy version 1 and 2 from gog and play on the pc if you want to try again, just $6

https://www.gog.com/en/game/starflight_1_2

Sigwolf

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2023, 06:28:07 AMIf it does turn out to be starflight which I think strong possibility, you can actually buy version 1 and 2 from gog and play on the pc if you want to try again, just $6

I absolutely loved Starflight.  I remember I had it on 5.25" floppy.  Despite how many hours I sunk into that series, I just can't bring myself back that far in gaming technology to revisit it at this point, though.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sigwolf on February 01, 2023, 08:44:29 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2023, 06:28:07 AMIf it does turn out to be starflight which I think strong possibility, you can actually buy version 1 and 2 from gog and play on the pc if you want to try again, just $6

I absolutely loved Starflight.  I remember I had it on 5.25" floppy.  Despite how many hours I sunk into that series, I just can't bring myself back that far in gaming technology to revisit it at this point, though.

This is the double-edged sword for GOG and old games that are available online. We are left with such wonderful memories, but in most instances, are let down when trying to relive them, simply due to advancements in technology and the industry. It is rare that a classic will still shine as brightly as they did during their heyday. There are certain exceptions, of course. But those are few and far between.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

'You can't go home again.' This happens to me all the time with PC games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

KyzBP

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2023, 06:11:52 AM

Maybe starflight....

This is probably close but I don't remember these screens.  The thing I remember the most are the dots for crewmen, especially during crew v crew combat.

PSI5 Trading Company isn't it but I'm wondering how I missed that during this era.  It would've been right up my alley.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: KyzBP on February 01, 2023, 09:34:47 AM

Maybe starflight....

This is probably close but I don't remember these screens.  The thing I remember the most are the dots for crewmen, especially during crew v crew combat.

PSI5 Trading Company isn't it but I'm wondering how I missed that during this era.  It would've been right up my alley.

Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

KyzBP

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2023, 09:40:55 AM

Maybe starflight....

Ding Ding Ding! Jarhead for the win!  I'd been looking for this for a while but never could remember the name.  I remember it being pretty immersive.  Thanks again!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: KyzBP on February 01, 2023, 10:05:52 AM

Maybe starflight....

Ding Ding Ding! Jarhead for the win!  I'd been looking for this for a while but never could remember the name.  I remember it being pretty immersive.  Thanks again!

LoL. I should play lotto today.

In case anyone is interested: Sentinal Worlds Future Magic

I think I never gave this one the attention it deserved, but reading about it, seems like a precursor to Mass Effect.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

KyzBP

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2023, 10:14:51 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on February 01, 2023, 10:05:52 AM

Maybe starflight....

LoL. I should play lotto today.

In case anyone is interested: Sentinal Worlds Future Magic

I think I never gave this one the attention it deserved, but reading about it, seems like a precursor to Mass Effect.

Looking at the game now it seems it was ahead of it's time given all of the things you can do in the game and the feel of a persistent universe.  I can see why I lost so much time to this.  I'm still shocked I couldn't remember the name.  P.S. If you watch a play through find one without the game music.  It honestly hurts the ears.