Cruiser Aurora

Started by Russell Ian, October 24, 2021, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Ian

As most of you know the Aroura was at Tsushima, fought in the Baltic in the First World War, fired the (blank) shot that signaled the start of the October Revolution, and fought (poorly) as an an air defense ship in WW2.  My friend (and wargame club President) is one of the main tour guides on the (still officially actively commissioned) ship.  The other day I had a private and behind the scenes tour of the ship.

The first attachment is the ship's stern as I walked up to her.

The second is interesting, I had no idea but behind these curtains are where hammocks were erected for men with a sheet of metal between them and the sea.

The third is the telegraph damaged at Tsushima

The fourth is from the engineering deck (which is closed to tourists) these are the communication pipes.

the fifth is the temperature gauge for the ship's 3 boilers

Russell Ian

The first is where coal is taken from the bunker

The second is the coal receipt for the furnace

The third is how the firemen, who had 4 hour shifts, drank water

The fourth is something to do with how the heat was distributed, honestly I can read it but not enough of an engineer to read it. 

ArizonaTank

Good stuff.

I also think it is amazing that Togo's flagship from Tsushima, Mikasa still survives as well in Yokosuka, Japan.

A dedicated traveler can still walk decks from both sides of that battle from almost 120 years ago.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Russell Ian

The first is my friend's office window

The second is a piston that turns the screw

The third is the weapons that sailors had for boarding actions and the painting is the Battleship Oryol the blue are non penetrating hits and the red are penetrating hits at Tsushima

The fourth is the uniform and weapons carried during the start of the October Revolution

Russell Ian

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 24, 2021, 12:25:06 PM
Good stuff.

I also think it is amazing that Togo's flagship from Tsushima, Mikasa still survives as well in Yokosuka, Japan.

A dedicated traveler can still walk decks from both sides of that battle from almost 120 years ago.

I wish I was a better photographer I have some more but I'm putting my daughter to sleep. I was supposed to go see Mikasa last year but.... Well. Yeah 2020. 

Staggerwing

Great pix!

Can you tell from the text whether that Mauser 1908 was license built before the war or secretly supplied by the Germans to the revolutionaries?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Welcome Russell...and great pics.  Would you mind if I posted a link to this thread over on the World of Warships forums?  Aurora is one of the cruisers in game and I think a lot of the players would enjoy seeing these pics.  Thanks!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Russell Ian

Quote from: steve58 on October 24, 2021, 05:34:19 PM
Welcome Russell...and great pics.  Would you mind if I posted a link to this thread over on the World of Warships forums?  Aurora is one of the cruisers in game and I think a lot of the players would enjoy seeing these pics.  Thanks!

I have no problem with that.  I'll post more Photos tomorrow. It's 3:17 here and my daughter is awake :/

Russell Ian

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2021, 01:36:57 PM
Great pix!

Can you tell from the text whether that Mauser 1908 was license built before the war or secretly supplied by the Germans to the revolutionaries?

I'm Not sure sure, I'll ask my friend. There is salo a display of Japanese weapons that were actually sold to the Soviets in n the 1930s to arm ship crewman. Odd world