DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2022, 05:01:55 PM
You can play as the Belgians??

Purchasing now!

Command Regiments, Brigades, and Task Forces from a multitude of factions: Soviet Union, USA, East and West Germanies, Belgium, UK - with more to come.

Probably wanted to start with the smallest one  ;).

Armored Brigade also released DLC that included Belgium (& France) :

Belgium on the other hand does not share France's reliance on fast vehicles and heavily mechanized infantry, and does for the most part use equipment that they've got from other NATO-nations. Much like the Polish, some of their equipment is a bit out-dated, but this does not make Belgium weak, as their infantry are real beasts. Well trained and well equipped, their elite infantry are a threat to anyone who dares get close. Their reliance on infantry makes Belgium a more defensive-oriented nation than most, and makes them feel very different to France.

Belgium managed to make a significant contribution to NATO collective defence, deploying half of its Army to the FRG as part of the Belgian I Corps. The remainder of the army comprised the Forces of Interior responsible for the defense of the home territory, made up of regular army units which would be augmented in wartime by the local gendarmerie and reserve forces. In addition, the Forces Interior were supplemented by a regiment of elite para-commandos with two airborne infantry and one commando battalion. However, much of its equipment remained obsolescent; its main battle tank, the Leopard 1(BE) was of 1960s vintage and its M75 and AMX-13 Mod 56 APCs, as well as its Alouette II helicopters were almost museum-pieces from the 1950s. However, the Army went through a modest re-equipment programme through the 1980s; upgrading its APCs and artillery, increasing the numbers of ATGMs and replacing most of the Air Force's fast jets with modern aircraft.

The_Admiral

Good explanation ^^

But it is also because they happened to be on the way of the where the scenario was taking the game to (at the junction between NORTHAG & CENTAG (where the Ist Belgian Corps used to live) just north of the Fulda gap. That's why you get also a few British units from the BAOR along for the ride.

These have just made their appearance in Warno too, actually.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Oh, a fair warning after starting the campaign...

The campaign has a really cool setup whereby you fight over a map in 20 minute phases.  The gameplay is very much slower with less micro and a much better battlefield awareness than the oft compared Eugen titles. 

However, the downside.  There is no in mission save.  Also, since you can slow time and pause, of course 20 minutes game time is more like an hour real time if you're as methodical as someone like me.  I know that most of us at our advanced years has many "life happens" moments in our gaming time, so if you are 30 minutes of real time into your 10 minutes of the phase, you can't quit or you'll lose all the progress. 

I know this could be a showstopper for some.  It stops save scumming but, this is an SP only game, and a really good one at that, so I'm not sure why save scumming is such a concern.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sigwolf

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 18, 2022, 10:49:52 AM
I know this could be a showstopper for some.  It stops save scumming but, this is an SP only game, and a really good one at that, so I'm not sure why save scumming is such a concern.

That is definitely a crap design decision, IMO.

The_Admiral

Save scumming isn't the concern, nor is it a crap design decision for the sake of it. It was a matter of having to discriminate among functions based on available development time. There's one single coder, can't expect him to deliver everything on his first game I am afraid.

Save game systems that take place within the tactical instance are a minefield to program (and so are replay systems, etc...). These are second tier functions on anybody's planning board unfortunately - a good illustration of it is The Creative Forge's reluctance to make it happen in battle 20 years after their first TW game, and the issues they encountered early on even in the strategic mode. I.e. I am sure some of you are old enough to remember these funny Rome 1 moments when you'd save just before a deadly assault, to realize the AI is just walking the other direction.... ^^

A save game system is not only about taking a picture of a situation at one given instant, but has to account for everything that came before - and more importantly everything that was to come later on (that is, considering you're saving when it's convenient for you, but have obviously little regard or knowledge as a player of what is taking place in the mind of the AI). That is the same issue you submariners might know from games that wouldn't let you save within a given distance of the enemy, or from a wargame perspective, games like the Close Combat series that use the exact same system as Regiments.

I am not finding excuses, just offering some context for that choice he made based on our own experience - but had it been done either the game would come out months from now, or other important features wouldn't be there. In regard of project management the result is pretty and I can relate to that choice in terms of priority - ourselves for TFA, we have somebody (our dev's old colleague familiar with the engine) helping us developing the save game system (that lays the groundwork for the replay system too). Had I asked our own dev to spend some time on it, that would take months out of his already busy schedule.

Because at the end of the day, you can certainly play a fine game with no save game function, but you won't enjoy a broken game with a save game function  :P

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2022, 04:53:52 AM
I just want to be able to play it in 4k.

On Steam forum  : Can't Change Video Settings

Multimonitor support is WIP and the game probably tries to grab the valid resolution list from a wrong display.

But I just noticed you already posted there.

An experimental update in the next hotfix might fix it (should be released today).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 19, 2022, 06:24:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2022, 04:53:52 AM
I just want to be able to play it in 4k.

On Steam forum  : Can't Change Video Settings

Multimonitor support is WIP and the game probably tries to grab the valid resolution list from a wrong display.

But I just noticed you already posted there.

An experimental update in the next hotfix might fix it (should be released today).

New patch is out and it actually makes the problem worse. Regiments can't figure out which monitor is which. I have three monitors... identified as 1, 2 and 3. The third monitor is the main 4k monitor in the middle. One and Two are on the sides and are max res 2560x1440. Regiments has them ID'ed wrong. It has Monitor 1 as the 4k screen and monitors two and three as the 2560s. What is even more annoying is that if I enter windowed mode and move the game over to monitor 3, the one that is actually 4K, the max resolution in game is only 1920x2160. I mean, what in the ever-loving hell is going on and why is this only a Regiments problem for me? Even more frustrating is that based on the developer's responses in the steam thread, he really has no idea what is causing the problem, is blaming it on Unity and it doesn't seem to be a high priority to fix, which, I guess I understand since it doesn't seem to be a really pervasive problem, but for those of us who are suffering with it, the struggle is real!

I don't want to review the game for GH until i get this sorted out. Otherwise, it will be a really short and negative review.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

Out of curiousity, if you unplug two monitors and only leave a 4k one, does it work?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on August 19, 2022, 08:58:14 PM
Out of curiousity, if you unplug two monitors and only leave a 4k one, does it work?

I've disconnected from the display settings the two 2560s leaving only the 4K active and this does not change anything. I have also tried running it on another rig that only has the 4K monitor plugged into and the same problem exists.  The monitor is plugged into a KVM switch so that I can run it on both rigs. I suspect this is the true culprit...for whatever reason, the game cannot run the 4K monitor in 4K through the KVM switch even though every other program I have ever run can.

I was really curious to give the game a shot, so I just ran it on one of the side monitors in 2560 for awhile. I do really enjoy the game, but so far I do still feel like I instinctively prefer the Eugen titles over this.  In the Wargame series the terrain is more diverse in topography and elevations, there is much more unit variety, the battles can be much larger and I feel like there is a lot more tactical flexibility. Also, although both games utilize phases in unique and different ways, I prefer the Eugen system that has the different phases as all part of the same battle, whereas Regiments seems to use phases to separate  a single battle into different chapters. Finally, the retreat system in Regiments is a little gamey to me. It seems that it can be utilized to move units out of combat to resupply and to even somewhat refit them. I haven't experienced this in battle, but I think I read that losses in a battle are not permanent and if a unit is destroyed on map, it will regenerate in your reinforcement pool and can be called back into the game. 

I'm not really suggesting that any of these mechanics are bad. They are interesting, fun and I like it. I'm just saying that - so far - i still prefer the Wargame titles. Regiments is a really good effort so far though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2022, 09:38:58 PM
the battles can be much larger

From what I'm reading the fact that the battles in Regiments are smaller is a plus to many players who are overwhelmed by Eugen games.
Not that one has to be better than the other, they just tap in to a similar but slightly different market.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2022, 09:38:58 PM
Regiments is a really good effort so far though.

The latest Wargame titles are steps above the first one (European Escalation) so let us hope Regiments follows the same path.

Pete Dero

For what it is worth : I have a 2 monitor setup and game runs fine in 4K for me (but I don't have a KVM switch, just one PC with 2 screens).

Skoop

Warno is very MP focused, that's why it seems be out of control for SP people.  I highly recommend to play warno with friends either pvp or pve or you can have all AI, and just take a small section of the map with your battlegroup and dominate it. 

I played the demo for regiments and it was good, but I'm already vested in warno, so this will be a christmas sale game for me.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 22, 2022, 03:40:16 AM
For what it is worth : I have a 2 monitor setup and game runs fine in 4K for me (but I don't have a KVM switch, just one PC with 2 screens).

This is my experience as well. No issue with two monitor setup.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.