Hearts of Iron 4 - By Blood Alone DLC

Started by Ian C, September 25, 2022, 06:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

It's out Tuesday 27th September.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1880650/Expansion__Hearts_of_Iron_IV_By_Blood_Alone/

A few notable additions are the Plane Designer (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/developer-diary-plane-designer.1537609/), Divisional Command/promotion (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/developer-diary-division-commanders-unit-medals.1538205/), and my favourite - that air combat has been remodelled so that aircraft now actually trace over enemy regions and can get intercepted and shot down on route and back from the mission area as well as Air Theatres being added to the game (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/air-changes-developer-corner.1526348/)

EDIT: new patch update: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/avalanche-1-12-0-by-blood-alone-checksum-58f2.1544707/

The official notes:

New Italian Focus Tree:
    Follow the historical path of Mussolini's Italy or rewrite history by restoring power to the monarchy, leading a Communist revolution or replacing Mussolini with one of a variety of new contenders.

New Ethiopian Focus Tree:
    Defy the odds to defeat the Italian invader or resist the conqueror from abroad using unique Government in Exile abilities.

New Swiss Focus Tree:
    Surrounded by France, Germany and Italy, the mountain nation of Switzerland finds strength in its neutrality, balancing competing factions and overtures from the great powers.

New Peace Conference Options:
    Demilitarize zones of the map or entire nations, bid on the capital ships of defeated powers, or claim control of enemy resources or factories as reparations.

Aircraft Designer:
    Design and build your own planes, from nimble interceptors that prioritize speed to durable bombers crafted to unload tons of destruction from high above.

Unit Medals:
    A log of each division's accomplishments lets you track their performance, and even allows you to award unique medals to division commanders for their actions in the field.

Embargo Interaction:
    Embargo your enemies with a new diplomatic interaction, preventing them from trading with you if they have generated enough world tension.

New Unit Models:
    Over 20 new unit models for Italy, Ethiopia, and Switzerland

New Plane Models:
    67 new plane models

12 New Music Tracks

Wburn

HOI4 is becoming the rabbit hole for micromanagement. Fleet design, resource management, I come to the realization I'm not god and it's impossible for this old brain to embrace all the minutiae of HOI4. To much stuff I guess.

Ian C

Sparhawk

With the air combat remodeled I may give this another go. That really was my biggest gripe. I have always wanted this game to grab me.

al_infierno

Oh boy, I cannot wait for HOI5 when they strip out all these cool features and make us wait for 50 DLCs over the course of 5 years to play with them again!  :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on September 27, 2022, 03:56:09 PM
Oh boy, I cannot wait for HOI5 when they strip out all these cool features and make us wait for 50 DLCs over the course of 5 years to play with them again!  :bd:

+1 !!!!!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GeneralHawk

LMAO...prescient.

Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Tanaka

Exactly. I'm done with Paradox games when the newest ones come out. Buy them years later when finally bundled complete and heavily discounted. The old ones can hold me over until then.

Ian C

Exactly. I think in future I might wait until HOI 5 is complete and on sale. Then again, I'm a sucker for this game. Nearly 1500 hours playing it so I'm stuck repeating this cycle.

Jarhead0331

Hearts of Iron 3 came out in 2009, followed by HOI 4 in 2016.

These games have long cycles and I think it's unfair to fault paradox for supporting the game during all these years with fresh concepts and new ideas. I don't think it is a case of Paradox releasing an incomplete game and then taking years to finish while charging for it. None of the DLCs are really essential. In fact, some I actually have no interest in and skip altogether because I feel some of their additions and new concepts may detract from what I already consider a good system and experience. So, nobody is forced to by these DLCs and in some instances, it may even be better to avoid them.

How many solid grand strategy games are out there like these titles from paradox? Not many...which is why we keep coming back for more.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

That seems to be their business model. You will see the same re-imagined over and over again. I wish they would do something original for once.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Sparhawk on September 27, 2022, 03:27:45 PM
With the air combat remodeled I may give this another go. That really was my biggest gripe. I have always wanted this game to grab me.
Do you think that they will fix the air combat so that you can use your Fighters, CAS and Tac bombers to hit airbases? I'd also like to see air leaders and formations much like they did with the navies.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bobarossa

After spending a couple thousand hours in a love/hate relationship with HOI4 I swore it off forever several months ago.   The ai simply can't deal with the game.  They finally fixed the atrocious air combat but it's not enough to lure me back.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on September 29, 2022, 01:14:06 PM
After spending a couple thousand hours in a love/hate relationship with HOI4 I swore it off forever several months ago.   The ai simply can't deal with the game.  They finally fixed the atrocious air combat but it's not enough to lure me back.

Thousands of hours? Surely you must like something about it... :-\
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

I love the game as well...but am also coming to the conclusion that maybe the AI has not kept up with the chrome. Can't put my finger on it yet...but when I get some concrete examples will post them.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.