Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

The situation now and 70 years ago are completely different.  You don't wholesale import millions of people that share no similar cultural values and no expect impact.  Particularly in a nation with substantial welfare programs.  At some point, the nation will have to hit a tipping point of what they could support versus what they are now expected to support.  There is unfortunately going to be conflict.  And no I'm not suggesting widespread civil unrest and violence.

pawelj

Quote from: Boggit on October 17, 2015, 08:22:33 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
The question is why is Turkey still in the Nato, I mean Erdogan is no less a dictator as Assad, he has for years been trying to stamp out the opposition, he now uses the IS conflict as sort of cover for that too and attacks the anti-IS Kurdish fighters, the press is no longer free in Turkey, journalists Erdogan doesn't like, are being arrested and he is cultivating an anti-West Muslim attitude and even encourages his fellow-men living in other countries to keep themselves apart from their surrounding society, because he thinks assimilation is a bad thing. That was his message to the Turks living here in Germany when he recently visited for his canvassing tour.

The world has to get rid of the Islamic State, that has to be the priority, not Assad or Turkey. That's why I think Putin's game over there is helpful, just to make things happen in a situation that was ruled for too long by ignoring reality or by being paralyzed by whatever political agenda.
Given Erdogan's actions against the Kurds in Iraq and Syria (leaving Turkey for the moment), I thought it a bit rich for him to criticise Putin for having a swipe at non-IS opponents to Assad. We may not like Assad, but Putin has a point about him being a bulwark against IS, even if he is a brutal dictator in his own right.
Relying on dictators to do our job is never a good policy in the long run.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

GDS_Starfury

If the Germans need more living space they csn always look to the east.   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Grimnirsson

I'll laugh later... ???
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

on east front, sense of humour loses you

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

pawelj

"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

mirth

I wasn't exactly panicked over a couple of squadrons of fighter bombers and a cruise missile strike with a few dozen missiles. And this is the cream of the Russian crop.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

I for one look forward to seeing Israel clobbering Russia in Syria; Putin declaring war; and then the coming Jewish Central Asian Superstate a few months later. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

OK. I know I'm crazy, but this quote from Putin is actually pretty good

Quote from: Vlad The Enabler"Let's not play with words and divide the terrorists into moderate and not moderate," said the president.
"I would like to understand what is the difference. Perhaps, some experts believe that moderate bandits behead people in moderate numbers or in some tender way."

of course, he's accusing the West of a double-standard on who they support in the MidEast, but it's still a good quote
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/10/putin-syria-russia-151023092849716.html
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 23, 2015, 08:31:29 AM
OK. I know I'm crazy, but this quote from Putin is actually pretty good

Quote from: Vlad The Enabler"Let's not play with words and divide the terrorists into moderate and not moderate," said the president.
"I would like to understand what is the difference. Perhaps, some experts believe that moderate bandits behead people in moderate numbers or in some tender way."

of course, he's accusing the West of a double-standard on who they support in the MidEast, but it's still a good quote
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/10/putin-syria-russia-151023092849716.html

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Russian Airbus crashes in Sinai, no survivors, Islamic State claims responsibility, Russia denies.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/31/in-central-sinai-with-224-on-board-egypt-pms-office.html

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 31, 2015, 01:03:58 PM
Russian Airbus crashes in Sinai, no survivors, Islamic State claims responsibility, Russia denies.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/31/in-central-sinai-with-224-on-board-egypt-pms-office.html

Queue Bagdad Bob...

"There were no Russians in the Sinai!"
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Whatever happened to that guy anyway?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys