Steel Panthers on Win 8?

Started by LongBlade, June 05, 2013, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Anyone playing Steel Panthers World at War General's Edition on Win 8?

I just installed it and patched to v8.4. Played four turns just fine then mech.exe crashed on me. Too bad I hadn't been saving my turns :(

I'll try emulating it on XP, but just wondered if anyone was successfully playing it on Win 8 and if so how it was going.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

I believe that there's been mention of it not running on Win8 very well... and Win7 also (without some kind of fix?).

jomni

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on June 05, 2013, 07:46:26 PM
The shrapnel version works.

Thanks. I'll have to dig out my old HDD and get it going.

I had hoped to play the Matrix version - used to really enjoy it. But no love. I tried running it in XP v3 compatibility mode without success.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

LongBlade

Bison

This is the problem with selling a game that doesn't work on modern OS for $70.  Sorry but it is completely irresponsible for them to sell a game that the emphasis is placed on the purchaser to do work arounds up to and including editting a registry for a game to work.  If they want the premium price then they need to resume support and make the game operate under current OS.  XP has not been the current MS OS for at least 6 years.  And no where on the sales page is there even a warning, which would again be the responsible thing for them to do for their customers, that the game does not work as intended on after XP but requires non-offical work arounds.

W8taminute

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2013, 10:02:21 AM
This is the problem with selling a game that doesn't work on modern OS for $70.  Sorry but it is completely irresponsible for them to sell a game that the emphasis is placed on the purchaser to do work arounds up to and including editting a registry for a game to work.  If they want the premium price then they need to resume support and make the game operate under current OS.  XP has not been the current MS OS for at least 6 years.  And no where on the sales page is there even a warning, which would again be the responsible thing for them to do for their customers, that the game does not work as intended on after XP but requires non-offical work arounds.

^This is exactly why I refuse to pay close to $100 for GGWIE.  One can argue that these are niche games and that the seller needs to make his profit and due to low volume must increase the price but if you have to jump through hoops for flaming hell to get the product to work on a modern day rig/OS then Matrix can go goat themselves. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

jomni

They should make a compatibility a patch and charge for it like battlefront.

Or give it out for free along with the game like shrapnel.

Tuna

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
They should make a compatibility a patch and charge for it like battlefront.

Or give it out for free along with the game like shrapnel.

Battlefront charges for updates for new games that enhance the game.

SPWAW is ten years old with a higher than new game price.. there's a difference!

GibbyG

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2013, 10:02:21 AM

Well, to be fair, under Game Requirements on the Product Page it does not list Vista, Win 7 or Win 8.

Bison

It doesn't and I agree that should give caution to a potential buyer, but I don't think it really changes the fact that there should be a disclaimer about the issues the game has on current MS OS and that the game is no longer offically supported.  I think most reasonable individuals who pay $70 for a new game purchase expect some sort of official support.  That does not exist for Steel Panthers and hasn't for a long time.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2013, 10:39:30 PM
It doesn't and I agree that should give caution to a potential buyer, but I don't think it really changes the fact that there should be a disclaimer about the issues the game has on current MS OS and that the game is no longer offically supported.  I think most reasonable individuals who pay $70 for a new game purchase expect some sort of official support.  That does not exist for Steel Panthers and hasn't for a long time.

It used to be that Steel Panthers was considered iconic. The source code had been released for free but Matrix and Shrapnel maintained the code out of respect for the game. That they made money by producing new content was so much the better. Now it seems forgotten.