[Dominions 6] 2 Grogs 2 Furious (IN PROGRESS)

Started by al_infierno, February 29, 2024, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 08, 2024, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on March 08, 2024, 12:42:37 PMAnd looks like we are all set to go now all pretenders are in! Due to the recent new patch I've decided to change and have some fun with Asphodel. As tricky as they are!

Did you mean to change back to Pyrene?

Yes I decided Asphodel is just too tricky for me to put up a good fight. Need more practice with them!

al_infierno

The game is afoot!

First turn is in.  Good luck, everyone!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

And second and third! We are off to a good start! Good luck everyone!

Myrmidon

GL and HF all!

Incidentally, for any of you on Discord, there is a channel that actively tracks and pings with the status of the game.  Dominions Envoy.  https://discord.gg/uKQy2bEd

Until the clockwork bot is 100% up and running, it makes a nice way to keep up with the game status without having to log in directly or click on the game link. 

al_infierno

Quote from: Myrmidon on March 10, 2024, 07:53:56 PMGL and HF all!

Incidentally, for any of you on Discord, there is a channel that actively tracks and pings with the status of the game.  Dominions Envoy.  https://discord.gg/uKQy2bEd

Until the clockwork bot is 100% up and running, it makes a nice way to keep up with the game status without having to log in directly or click on the game link.

Very cool.  Good find!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Thanks for the tip! Anything you need to do after joining?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on March 11, 2024, 05:45:25 PM

Go to the #subscribe-here channel and enter "/subscribe_to groggies_2" without the quotes

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 11, 2024, 06:54:08 PM

Go to the #subscribe-here channel and enter "/subscribe_to groggies_2" without the quotes
Thanks got it to work!

Just curious what map setting did you use? Seems very small and a lot of water?

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on March 11, 2024, 08:09:59 PM

Thanks got it to work!

All defaults, except north/south wraparound.  The map is very odd, with lots of weird peninsulas, impassable mountains, rivers, and WAY too much ocean.

- MengJiao

Myrmidon

Vanilla gen be like that. 

In all honesty, as screwed as I have been in many games, and as crazy as it comes out, something about it is pretty cool after years of playing on MapNuke.  I get having more balanced maps are fun, and preferable for competition games.  But there's something refreshing about the vanilla gen for friendly games, warts and all.

al_infierno

Quote from: Myrmidon on March 12, 2024, 06:34:40 PMVanilla gen be like that. 

In all honesty, as screwed as I have been in many games, and as crazy as it comes out, something about it is pretty cool after years of playing on MapNuke.  I get having more balanced maps are fun, and preferable for competition games.  But there's something refreshing about the vanilla gen for friendly games, warts and all.

Same, I grew real tired of MapNuke maps after about half a dozen games when it became clear it basically just makes the exact same perfectly balanced world every single time.  I like the uniqueness of actually having a landmass that looks like something that might exist in real life.

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Agreed. Map Nuke maps are so bland boring and samesy and I hate the colors. I really like what the Dom 6 maps look like now. It gives you that epic fantasy feel and the terraforming and weather effects are really cool. I also like how you never know what to expect instead of everything always being exactly the same.

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 11, 2024, 11:53:07 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on March 11, 2024, 08:09:59 PM

Thanks got it to work!

All defaults, except north/south wraparound.  The map is very odd, with lots of weird peninsulas, impassable mountains, rivers, and WAY too much ocean.

Gotcha. Well the map is interesting for sure haha. I'm glad there are no water nations!

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on March 12, 2024, 08:25:22 PM

Same, I grew real tired of MapNuke maps after about half a dozen games when it became clear it basically just makes the exact same perfectly balanced world every single time.  I like the uniqueness of actually having a landmass that looks like something that might exist in real life.

Agreed the maps look much cooler and it really enhances the atmosphere!

TheMeInTeam

For some inscrutable reason, I am being attacked from a corner position before turn 20 for the second game in a row.  This time by Pyrene.

Corner wars are obnoxious and many players view them as griefing, myself included.  In case the reason for that isn't obvious: neither side that wins can reasonably hold the territory for most nations.

I don't think I can convince the lobby to leave me alone if I go kill Pyrene.  That said, I also don't appreciate moves that amount to griefing, regardless of their intentions.  Realistically, Pyrene's poor expansion should have put a target on them by now, to the extent that attacking me wouldn't be on their radar.  Since that hasn't happened, I will make an offer.  I will NAP anybody willing to take this conduct out of the game until Pyrene is gone, and am willing to commit to attacking anybody who backstabs the player attacking Pyrene if possible.

That way, winning a war means actually winning it and we can untangle the nonsense a bit.  I do want my province back, though.