Matrix holiday 2016 sale is here!

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 23, 2016, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: Tuna on November 24, 2016, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2016, 11:09:07 AM
Re Pr0n multiplayer: I haven't tried that yet, but I have to think it's more feasible than Vicky2 multiplayer (which must however be hilarious, considering the engine).

We have an mp Pr0n campaign with... three of the Grogs, I think? Maybe four? More than two... somewhere in the Digital AARs. As I recall, some kind of catastrophic bug killed the game eventually, but it was fooling along nicely until then.  O0

I was having fun. It was me, sdr  and geek.

If I picked this up, would any of you be interested in a PBEM game. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Twilight Struggle is 50% off on Steam - that means $7.50.
I'm going to get this one.

And I think this is all I'm picking up.  I'm in the middle of Pillars of Eternity.  I've done every side quest and need to finish the main quest in Fallout 4 (which will not take much time).  I have tons of good games that I have bought but not played.

I get pretty OCD about game systems.  I want to understand how they work.  Once I understand a game system (at least moderately well) I want to play that one.  Learning any new game system is a big time investment.  I tend to read strategy guides carefully and think through the game before playing it very much.  And I read the manuals.

Game systems I own but have not even played include:
Pride of Nations
Alea Jacta Est
Commander the Great War
Distant Worlds
Hannibal Rome and Carthage
Armada 2526
Carriers at War
War Plan Pacific
Combat Mission Battles of Normandy
Commander Europe at War
Field of Glory
Vietnam '65

So I think Twilight Struggle will do it for me.

Crossroads

I managed to limit my damage to GG's WitW... WitE, next sales...  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bbmike

Steel Panthers: World at War Generals Edition and Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm for me. I need help.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DennisS

Quote from: airboy on November 24, 2016, 11:54:51 AM
Twilight Struggle is 50% off on Steam - that means $7.50.
I'm going to get this one.

And I think this is all I'm picking up.  I'm in the middle of Pillars of Eternity.  I've done every side quest and need to finish the main quest in Fallout 4 (which will not take much time).  I have tons of good games that I have bought but not played.

I get pretty OCD about game systems.  I want to understand how they work.  Once I understand a game system (at least moderately well) I want to play that one.  Learning any new game system is a big time investment.  I tend to read strategy guides carefully and think through the game before playing it very much.  And I read the manuals.

Game systems I own but have not even played include:
Pride of Nations
Alea Jacta Est
Commander the Great War
Distant Worlds
Hannibal Rome and Carthage
Armada 2526
Carriers at War
War Plan Pacific
Combat Mission Battles of Normandy
Commander Europe at War
Field of Glory
Vietnam '65

So I think Twilight Struggle will do it for me.

I am considering Vietnam '65. The reviews and YT videos look pretty good.

Barthheart

Anybody have Carriers at War? Is it any good? Fun?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on November 24, 2016, 03:26:03 PM
I had it years ago

I thought it was ok. I was a bit disappointed with the size of the maps and the carriers....it didn't really leave a lot of "surprise" at where the enemy was, but the combat mechanics were quite good and quite tense iirc.

I do not know how they can charge $40 for it and, personally, even at half price I would say it's slightly overpriced (unless they've added content since it was launched).

Not a bad game at all, but less than I had hoped.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

The old Complete Carriers at War was a real gem. Very challenging.

Tuna

Quote from: OJsDad on November 24, 2016, 11:25:26 AM
Quote from: Tuna on November 24, 2016, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2016, 11:09:07 AM
Re Pr0n multiplayer: I haven't tried that yet, but I have to think it's more feasible than Vicky2 multiplayer (which must however be hilarious, considering the engine).

We have an mp Pr0n campaign with... three of the Grogs, I think? Maybe four? More than two... somewhere in the Digital AARs. As I recall, some kind of catastrophic bug killed the game eventually, but it was fooling along nicely until then.  O0

I was having fun. It was me, sdr  and geek.

If I picked this up, would any of you be interested in a PBEM game.

If it was like four people. But not sure how hosting goes, and if it's easy to do? I think SDR was our host.

Martok

If I didn't already own pretty much all the Matrix/Slitherine games I wanted, this would be an excellent time to acquire them.  (As always, I don't dare even look at War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition.  That game both excites and terrifies me.)  Some great deals to be had there. 

That list is also a sad reminder of all the games I've acquired over the years, but haven't played (or at lest spent far too little time with).  Here are the Matrix/Slitherine titles I own but have barely touched: 

Birth of America 2: Wars in America
Commander - The Great War
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided
Hannibal: Rome and Carthage
Pride of Nations
Revolution Under Siege
Rise of Prussia
Starships Unlimited 3

Of the games on the above list, I still harbor a genuine desire to learn/play/enjoy dang near all of them.  I just don't know when/how I'll get around to it.  :-[ 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Not playing the games you own, should never keep you from buying more games.

Hartford688

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 24, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
I had it years ago

I thought it was ok. I was a bit disappointed with the size of the maps and the carriers....it didn't really leave a lot of "surprise" at where the enemy was, but the combat mechanics were quite good and quite tense iirc.

I do not know how they can charge $40 for it and, personally, even at half price I would say it's slightly overpriced (unless they've added content since it was launched).

Well summarised. How I feel as well.

Barthheart

Quote from: Hartford688 on November 24, 2016, 07:07:54 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 24, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
I had it years ago

Well summarised. How I feel as well.

Guess I'll pass then. Thanks guys.  O0