The Accessible Rogue

Started by spelk, November 07, 2012, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: Nefaro on November 15, 2012, 06:58:16 PM
While Powder is nice for it's easier interface, I'm still not sure about the content end.  I must have been too spoiled on some of the more mature/developed ones, sohaven't got into the 7DRLs much just because they do feel like rush jobs in the content department and can be a little too cookie cutter for me.

I think its the fact that the 7DRL's are small packets of gaming, without the overhead of the likes of DCSS/Nethack, that I gravitate towards them, plus they often deliver non-canon roguelike features, sort of pushing the envelope of roguelike development. I'd like to think the genre is growing after every 7DRL session, simply because of the diversity on offer, and the quick turnaround means you get to see the evolution of RL ideas before your very eyes, rather than waiting for years for official releases, with tilesets intact.

I'd like to see more deep and engaging RL's that has the depth and feature set that TOME4 has, but ultimately my play time lends itself more to the quick bites of novelty more.

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 08, 2012, 11:31:30 AM
My favorite is and always will be UnReal World. But I have such a tough time keeping it updated and I don't like the pricing scheme. I'm too chicken to buy the lifetime updates, because I once lost the unlock file and he isn't particularly good about providing those again.

Arise, Chicken!  Arise!

Speaking of UnReal World, the ancient/dark age survival roguelike loosely set in Finland, it's pricing scheme has changed.

It's now Free! 

http://www.unrealworld.fi/

He's just taking optional donations right now.  That's quite a leap from the previous, "buy a version and maybe the next patch" scheme huh?