Fixing Stratego

Started by bayonetbrant, May 25, 2013, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Building on the conversation about whether or not Stratego is a wargame, here are 2 simple fixes I'd throw out for how to fix the game:

1.  Need a point system to buy/build your force.  Limit of maybe 15-20 pieces, and limits on how many of each piece you can have, especially the bombs.  6 bombs makes a total wall of a defense too easy.  Limit to maybe 2 bombs and 3 of anything else.

2.  Reinforcing / exploiting attacks - if you beat someone by a huge difference, then you get to follow up with a second attack with the same or an adjacent piece.  This rewards players who set up and coordinate their attacks rather than just try to play an attrition-plinking game.

There's a really good game hiding underneath the overly-balanced discount-store simplicity of Stratego, but it's going to take some grognard tinkering to truly bring it out.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Interesting thoughts Brant.  I never looked deeply into the mechanics of the game.

Building/Buying your force could make for some interesting games although I was always partial to the bombs and loved using them in my strategies.

Your second idea seems interesting but I am not sure how you could fairly implement it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

There are a number of variations at this site: ultrastratego.com

There is also a playable online Stratego site here: http://www.browserchess.net/stratego/

You just know I had to play a game before posting, don't you? I finally won with a Miner.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

I'm being serious here, but what if the map was switched to hexes?  I'm trying to recall my Stratego rules...how is diaganol movment/combat handled (if it is allowed at all)?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Diagonal movement is one of the variants, though not specifically with hexes. With squares you would get eight axes of movement as opposed to six for hexes.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bayonetbrant

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 25, 2013, 05:56:11 PMI was always partial to the bombs and loved using them in my strategies.

They're fine, but with the choke points on the map, there's too many of them and the game is unbalanced.

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 25, 2013, 05:56:11 PMYour second idea seems interesting but I am not sure how you could fairly implement it.

Not that hard - if you beat the other guy by at least X differential, then you can make a 2d attack, either with that piece or an adjacent one.

I also think it would be interesting to allow scouts (9s) to challenge to expose a piece w/o attacking.  Of course, it also exposes your scout, but the sacrifice might be worth it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 25, 2013, 10:23:31 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 25, 2013, 05:56:11 PMI was always partial to the bombs and loved using them in my strategies.

They're fine, but with the choke points on the map, there's too many of them and the game is unbalanced.

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 25, 2013, 05:56:11 PMYour second idea seems interesting but I am not sure how you could fairly implement it.

Not that hard - if you beat the other guy by at least X differential, then you can make a 2d attack, either with that piece or an adjacent one.

I also think it would be interesting to allow scouts (9s) to challenge to expose a piece w/o attacking.  Of course, it also exposes your scout, but the sacrifice might be worth it.

That idea I like.

Also would you leave, change or get ride of the choke points?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

I think variable terrain maps would be great.  Move the water, add some hills (+1 defense) or some woods (limits mobility somehow).  But the way the water is set up, it's too easy for anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of obstacles to lock their defense down too well.

Staggerwing

Allow the miner and the spy to cross water and make the challenges for ID you mentioned.