"Don't bother sending a tech, I'll be dead by then"

Started by bayonetbrant, June 25, 2014, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/28qemm/dont_bother_sending_a_tech_ill_be_dead_by_then/

QuoteSo my story starts on what was a normal day taking calls on the front line for a large cable company. The job pays well and for the most part the people I deal with are fairly nice to talk to.
Quite often we'll get calls from seniors (especially in the morning) who have premise equipment issues such as "snow on screen" or "no signal" on their TV sets connected to our digital equipment.
Now my heart does go out to some of these folk because up until recently (past few years) we would supply straight analog cable to many homes (coax direct from wall to TV with scrolling guide). However most cities we service nowadays require our digital equipment to receive channels, and this has caused a lot of frustration with older people who don't know how to operate said equipment (ie. always having your TV set on "video" or "hdmi" to get picture). So often times we get customers who are repeat offenders with long ticket histories of these types of issues.
So anyway, I get a call from an older gentleman who's quite bitter and mean right off the bat (doesn't like that I asked for his address / telephone number to verify the account, hates that he has to speak with a machine before reaching an agent, etc.). I have some experience handling these types of customers, however this call was going to be a little different.
I spent over 45 minutes with this guy (we'll call him Mr. Smith) trying to get his TV set connected to the digital box properly so he could receive a picture. No luck. He was getting clearly frustrated by the whole ordeal and started blaming me for not being able to do my job properly, how I was useless, etc.
Whatever.
Like I said, I've dealt with this before so I tried my best not to take it personally, but eventually I had to ask him if we could book a service tech to the home (a courtesy call) to get his TV working correctly. Unfortunately, our booking calendar was showing an appointment 3 days out. That's when he dropped this on me:
"Don't bother sending a goddamn technician, because I'll be dead by then. I'm 94 and TV is the only thing I have left, are you really going to make me wait for a tech?"

go read the rest...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Cool.  Thanks for sharing the warm fuzzies, chief. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

What a touching story! Thanks for sharing it with us, BB.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.