Recommend an E-reader

Started by matt3916, November 28, 2023, 08:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt3916

Thinking of getting one.  Will only be used in home (probably in bed) to read books.  Don't need audio capability, don't need to check my mail, don't need to make notes.  The only bell and/or whistle I think I need is E-Ink vice LCD (although I'm willing to listen to why I need the latest greatest toy).

Tell me what I should buy (and why, please).

Gusington

You could download the Kindle app from Amazon for free to any device you choose if you require no bells or whistles.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

matt3916

The only device I have is a desktop, which is somewhat unwieldy for reading in bed.

Pete Dero

I have a Kindle Oasis : Easy to use and long battery life (but no LCD screen).

nelmsm

I have two Kindle's and love them.  Also like the fact that I can download the Kindle app to my Fire tablet and read on there as well.  The tablet is great as I can download game rulebooks and see the illustrations in color.

Redwolf

Well, the big question is whether you will have books from sources other than Amazon. A real Kindle doesn't have e.g. Google books.

If you want to stay flexible I would get a used iPad.

Sigwolf

Quote from: Redwolf on December 01, 2023, 11:33:03 AMWell, the big question is whether you will have books from sources other than Amazon. A real Kindle doesn't have e.g. Google books.

If you want to stay flexible I would get a used iPad.
I would counter with a used Android tablet, because if flexibility is the goal, the walled Apple garden is hardly the ideal.

But there are also many more concerns and factors...  especially given matt3916's original post. The biggest being screen technology.  Reading print text for many, myself included, is a vastly superior experience on e-Ink rather than lcd/led/oled screens.  No tablet from any manufacturer is going to replicate that (affordable color e-Ink tablets thus far remaining an illusive, if tempting goal).

If text reading is the primary goal, you still can't beat e-Ink, and that pretty much leaves one of the Kindle models, or a Kobo as the main options.  The B&N Nooks used to be pretty strong, but they have seemingly lost interest in the reader market.

If you read varying types of media, I have not found any one solution that is without significant drawbacks for one or the other.  I've used a Kindle Oasis for three or four years for text (but started many years ago with a Kindle 2).  For magazines, manuals, or books with photos/illustrations, I have a four year old Galaxy Tab S6.

Also worth noting that it is very easy to sideload books to Kindles via USB, so you are in no way stuck in only the Amazon infrastructure.  But it is good hardware, especially in the better priced midrange Paperwhite line.

I don't foresee a time in the near future where I won't use two devices.  Ideally a color e-Ink for all reading, and an LED/OLED for media/video and gaming.