Happy Birthday, Bugs!

Started by RooksBailey, August 02, 2015, 08:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

This is a great tribute to one of the best animated characters ever. 

http://www.steynonline.com/7082/the-bunny-in-winter

QuoteChuck Jones liked to tell the story of a young man who came to work with him in the Warner Brothers animation department and sent a letter home to his grandmother proudly telling her that he was writing scripts for Bugs Bunny. "I can't understand why you're writing scripts for Bugs Bunny," she wrote back. "He's funny enough just as he is."

Gran'ma had a point. Some art forms are heavy with authorial presence; others wiggle free of their creator, so popular, so known that the idea of anybody sitting down to "make" them seems absurd. But the Looney Tunes guys were more wholly "made" than their dull counterparts at Disney - Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, etc. In Bugs' case the buck stops here - on the desk of Chuck Jones, the producer and director who made the Merrie Melodies merrier and the Looney Tunes loonier.

Even as a kid I never liked Disney characters.  They were just that: dull.

Chuck Jones could have wrote noir dialogue.  On Pepe Le Pew:  "He's like most of us men. He doesn't know he's a stinker."   ;D

Yup:

QuoteOne day, they'll all be banned, so treasure them while you can. In Hollywood, stars and starlets come and go - where are Jenna Elfman and Brendan Fraser now? But an A-list rabbit, that's forever.

Happy 75th birthday, Bugs - and here's hoping that's not all, folks.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

mirth

Awesome. Bugs Rules. Chuck Jones Rules. One of the great American contributions to civilization.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 02, 2015, 08:24:17 PM

Even as a kid I never liked Disney characters.  They were just that: dull.

Agreed.  I disliked Disney stuff too.  Lame.

Looney Tunes, baby!   O0

Sir Slash

Why go Goofy when you got Foghorn Leghorn look at, I say, look at son.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

One of my all time favorite scenes

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Merrie Melodies kicks ass.  I think part of what makes it so great is that it's so culturally specific.  I taught in a lot of different countries and Disney was always popular because it's so generic.  Bugs Bunny and friends were markedly less so simply because much of the humour didn't translate.  Only Tweety seemed to be common because of the twee cute factor.