What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2018, 08:14:36 AM
I've played Illusions of Glory. Good game and good system.

I've read a complaint or two on BGG that the game is unbalanced in favor of the Germans, but in my mind that's normal as the Germans greatly outclassed the Russians on the ground. Do you have any thoughts on the game's balance? How many times have you played it and which side(s) did you play?

mirth

I've played it a couple times. The Germans definitely outclass the Russians, but I didn't think the game was unbalanced. You certainly have to play a certain way as the Russians to be successful.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

One more question - can it be played solitaire? I know it has card-driven mechanics (at least I think it does) so that's a detriment to solo play, perhaps. I know it's not a soloable system, but maybe it can be played if you just do your best for each side?

I saw the back of the box in some unboxing vids and it says '6' for solitaire suitability, which isn't great but isn't bad.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 26, 2018, 08:37:52 AM
One more question - can it be played solitaire?

I'm really not the guy to ask about solo play :P

I've played it two player, but it's not one I own and I never considered solitaire suitability.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I need to create a YouTube channel and call it "Playing With Myself" and just cover games to discuss their solitaire suitability, from those made for that purpose to those that are not meant to be played that way - you know, with 'friends' (whatever those are).  :buck2:

bayonetbrant

or you could write a series for the site about it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 26, 2018, 08:42:14 AM
I need to create a YouTube channel and call it "Playing With Myself" and just cover games to discuss their solitaire suitability, from those made for that purpose to those that are not meant to be played that way - you know, with 'friends' (whatever those are).  :buck2:

I would watch it. Cyrano wouldn't.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 26, 2018, 08:44:15 AM

Now there's a thought

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 26, 2018, 08:44:15 AM

You don't think that's too close to Gus' column? Doesn't "What's Gus Playing This Week" also mean him playing with himself? ;)

Barthheart

Yeah but that's on the computer... we want to hear about your fiddling with your cardboard....

mirth

BanzaiCat

^-^

I mean, sure it seems like a good idea and it might fit well with me. I see a lot of people post to the Wargames and Solitaire Wargames groups on Facebook asking questions about recommendations and such. Hmm.

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2018, 08:51:32 AM
What's BC fondling this week?

Don't give BB any ideas.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Barthheart