What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

I just finished "Essex Dogs" by Dan Jones.

This is a historical novel following the trials and tribulations of a company of English mercenaries who are fighting for the English King Edward III and his son, the "Black Prince," during the Crecy campaign at the start of the 100 Years War.

Jones is mostly known for his solid portfolio of medieval histories, so he brings a historian's eye to the tale; the book is just dripping with atmosphere.

I thought it started out a little slow, but about 1/3 in, I became fully engaged with the characters and happily went along for the ride.

If medieval armies and campaigns are your thing, you really can't go wrong with the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Essex-Dogs-Novel-Dan-Jones/dp/0593653785/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1682031362&sr=8-1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^Thanks, I've added it to my cart. Amazon also has a 2nd book listed, confusingly part of...a trilogy?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BWW1F9JR?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_1&storeType=ebooks

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now reading Persians by Lloyd Llewellyn Jones.

About done with the first chapter which is extremely revisionist and keeps hammering home how it was the ancient Greeks who were truly barbaric, much more so than the Persians.

I will soldier on with this title anyway hoping to learn more.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2023, 08:19:03 PM^Thanks, I've added it to my cart. Amazon also has a 2nd book listed, confusingly part of...a trilogy?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BWW1F9JR?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_1&storeType=ebooks

Looks like it is to be trilogy then...:)  Of course he still hasn't published the 2nd book.

I guess I knew more were coming because there are a couple of plot threads in the first book that were never closed.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Destraex

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 31, 2017, 07:36:28 AMBeen reading something called Omega Rising. It has a compelling premise -

QuoteJason Burke was a man hiding from himself in a small cabin high in the American Rocky Mountains when his simple, quiet life was shattered one night by what he first assumed was an aviation mishap. But when he investigates the crash, what he finds will yank him out of his self-imposed exile and thrust him into a world he could have never imagined. He suddenly finds himself trapped on a damaged alien spacecraft and plunged into a universe of interstellar crime lords and government conspiracies, along the way meeting strange new friends... and enemies. As he struggles to find his way back home he is inexorably drawn deeper into a world where one misstep could mean his death. Or worse. He desperately wants to get back to Earth, but it may be the end for him. ... or is it just the beginning?

It's one of those books that's just good enough to keep my attention, though now that I'm more than halfway through it I feel like I'm obligated to finish it. The author is driving me insane because he has NO idea what a semicolon is, and is separating ideas with commas instead. Plus, mispellings (such as "he wondered down the hall" - ugh) make me feel like I'm reading fanfic and not an actual, real author's work. I hate that feeling.

I recently finished all of Daniel Dalzelle's Warship series and really enjoyed it apart from like you say the spelling and gramatical errors. I definitely agree with you about these books in that respect. However I thought the series was a fabulous read and a lot more technical in it's depiction of space combat than most science fiction series I have read that "focus" on space battles.

I am now looking at reading what I think is the ground based combat part of the series. Which I think would be the Omega Rising books you read way back in 2017! I am though having trouble with the timeline and thus the order I should read these books in.

If you have any idea of the order these books should be read in rather than their publication order it would be appreciated. Without spoilers of course. This authors whole style is built on suspense and climax; which is what makes them hard to put down for me.

P.S. Is this how you would define usage of commas or semi-colons? Because my usage of those writing separation tools is something I need to start using properly.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/brand-style-guide/writing/grammar/punctuation/commas-colons-and-semi-colons/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

I finished, "Meat Grinder: The Battles For The Rzhev Salient 1942-43" by Prit Buttar. Another great book by him covering this fight I really knew little about but apparently about a million men died on both sides during the almost constant fighting, many more Russian than German. It reminds me a lot of the present battle for Bakmut in Ukraine today, the relentless Russian attacks to capture this city that really wasn't strategically important to either side. A very even-handed telling of the story from both sides with lots of personal accounts of the fighting and horrible conditions they fought in. Good book.

Next up..."Retribution: The Soviet Reconquest of the Central Ukraine 1943" by...Prit Buttar. The guy writes a lot of books.  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Hm, I thought I recalled Rzhev being a key gateway to the Caucasian oilfields?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 03, 2023, 09:33:57 AMHm, I thought I recalled Rzhev being a key gateway to the Caucasian oilfields?
You may be thinking of Grozny.

Sir Slash

Rzhev was the closest point the Germans held to Moscow after the 1941 Winter counteroffensive drove the them back form the city. Both sides felt they had to have it so the other side couldn't threaten, or protect, Moscow. Nothing strategically important there for either side.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

No, I'm thinking of Rostov probably. Though Bob's Grozny is more appropriate. I know I've heard of Rzhev before, but clearly not enough to have an accurate context!

(Unless maybe that's where Vance / Bartheart got around my central wall and kicked my ass in our epic multiplayer match of DC:Barbie.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

I remember that. It truly was epic. Knowing Barth, he probably invented a Wormhole to send his army through past your flank.  :beam_up:

JasonPratt

Heh, he didn't even need to do that! -- I opened a wormhole for him, trying to counterblitz one of his main supply lines with a ignorantly overpowered stack that got in its own way. He didn't even need three turns to begin the unstoppable catastrophe. Very well played by him, not so much by me (at that moment).

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Now reading Philip and Alexander: Kings and Conquerors by Adrian Goldsworthy.

https://amzn.to/452H8pZ

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

After reading "Essex Dogs" (noted above) a friend of mine suggested I continue medieval historical fiction with books by Christian Cameron.

I started with the "Chivalry" series of four books. I am just finishing the second book and haven't been able to put them down.

Book One: "The Ill-Made Knight" follows the William Gold, an English man of arms during the Poitiers campaign, who gains fame fighting, and eventually after many battles in France and Italy is made a Knight.

Book Two: Sees Sir William as a Knight Hospitaller, on the Alexandrian Crusade.

There are two books left.

The author's hobby is medieval reenacting, and this is telling in his descriptions of armor, weapons and fighting. It is some of the best medieval combat writing I have read.

BTW, Camerson is a prolific author who also writes fantasy novels under the name Miles Cameron.

https://www.amazon.com/Ill-Made-Knight-Christian-Cameron/dp/1409137503/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1684119545&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Sword-Christian-Cameron/dp/1409137511/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_none_sccl_1/147-3152478-3838443?pd_rd_w=a0tuI&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=H47VHMQQZ1MSMEG9PWHF&pd_rd_wg=D37JW&pd_rd_r=87bc2f04-ce8e-4e1f-a3fa-6101dd00cbbd&pd_rd_i=1409137511&psc=1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"