What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on June 20, 2014, 08:23:04 PM
That.  Is.  FREAKISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I pulled up to a customers house this morning and she was having a yard sale.  She had several boxes of paperbacks, a dollar a piece or three for two bucks.  So, being the addict I am, I looked through them.  I found one I had never heard of that looked promising.  I also found the first 'Thieve's World,' anthology and a copy of 'On Basilisk Station!'

Ah - one of the horrors of my life.  My allergies are so bad that I cannot read old paperbacks (and some old hardbacks).  I have to replace paperbacks I wish to reread about every 10 years due to paper deterioration.  Kindles are awesome for this problem.

airboy

I finished 2 new L.E. Modesitt in the last 10 days: Rex Regis (Imager series) and Cyador's Heirs (Saga of Recluce).

If you like Modesitt's work - both are excellent.  Cyador's Heirs is the first in this time period in the Saga of Recluse.  Rex Regis is the 5th (?) book in that series - so if you pick it up you will probably be lost if you have not read the earlier books.

BanzaiCat

On this cruise last week I had plenty of time for reading, so I went through Steve Martin's Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life, which was pretty interesting. He focused on his standup career and only briefly spoke about The Jerk, but it was a great read.

Then I got through Grisham's The Litigators, which was a great one too.

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on June 23, 2014, 09:44:26 AM
^Can you give some humorous examples? The first thing I ever learned in a writing class was 'don't write what you don't know.'

QuoteNational Guard units never used to have tanks
Um, pretty sure this is wrong and that many Guard units have had tanks for years.

Later in the book, he has two American carriers ambushed in their home port and destroyed, with their aircraft on board.  A carriers air wing is not on board while in its home port.  Planes cannot launch or land while a carrier is in port.

The premise of the book is that China has taken control of Siberia and that American has turned isolationist.  Ok, I buy that.  The US is also in an economic down turn because China dumped it's US Treasuries.  Maybe.
Little Ice Age has kicked in, China cannot feed itself.  US does not have enough energy.  But the two cannot agree to trade food for energy. 

I could buy the premise, it's just that the writing is so horrible.  Dialogue is bad.  Characters are uninteresting. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: OJsDad on June 23, 2014, 02:52:30 PM
^Can you give some humorous examples? The first thing I ever learned in a writing class was 'don't write what you don't know.'

Um, pretty sure this is wrong and that many Guard units have had tanks for years.

Later in the book, he has two American carriers ambushed in their home port and destroyed, with their aircraft on board.  A carriers air wing is not on board while in its home port.  Planes cannot launch or land while a carrier is in port.

The premise of the book is that China has taken control of Siberia and that American has turned isolationist.  Ok, I buy that.  The US is also in an economic down turn because China dumped it's US Treasuries.  Maybe.
Little Ice Age has kicked in, China cannot feed itself.  US does not have enough energy.  But the two cannot agree to trade food for energy. 

I could buy the premise, it's just that the writing is so horrible.  Dialogue is bad.  Characters are uninteresting.

I read this too, and the follow up, Invasion California. Overall, they read like a hyped up AAR for a near future RTS game. The author does a good job of keeping the tension running through the whole story, and the plot doesn't necessarily go like you expect, but in the the military realism problems are just glaring. Canadians with Bradleys? Carriers moored in San Francisco?

The author does get some things right about the direction of near future technology, like directed energy weapons and rail guns, but I'm oh considering picking up the third book to see where the story goes.

OJsDad

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 23, 2014, 04:31:47 PM

I read this too, and the follow up, Invasion California. Overall, they read like a hyped up AAR for a near future RTS game. The author does a good job of keeping the tension running through the whole story, and the plot doesn't necessarily go like you expect, but in the the military realism problems are just glaring. Canadians with Bradleys? Carriers moored in San Francisco?

The author does get some things right about the direction of near future technology, like directed energy weapons and rail guns, but I'm oh considering picking up the third book to see where the story goes.

I'll finish this one, and will probably try the others.  Just not sure how it got 4 out a 5 stars from readers on both Amazon and B&N.  But it is $2.99, so....
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on June 23, 2014, 10:04:44 AM

I pulled up to a customers house this morning and she was having a yard sale.  She had several boxes of paperbacks, a dollar a piece or three for two bucks.  So, being the addict I am, I looked through them.  I found one I had never heard of that looked promising.  I also found the first 'Thieve's World,' anthology and a copy of 'On Basilisk Station!'

Ah - one of the horrors of my life.  My allergies are so bad that I cannot read old paperbacks (and some old hardbacks).  I have to replace paperbacks I wish to reread about every 10 years due to paper deterioration.  Kindles are awesome for this problem.

That makes me sad for you, Airboy.  There are very few things in life I enjoy more than reading a good book.  And regardless of price, I do not now, nor any time in the near future, have the funds to buy an e-reader.  If I did, it would sit there for lack of funds to buy books.  :(
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on June 23, 2014, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 23, 2014, 10:04:44 AM

That makes me sad for you, Airboy.  There are very few things in life I enjoy more than reading a good book.  And regardless of price, I do not now, nor any time in the near future, have the funds to buy an e-reader.  If I did, it would sit there for lack of funds to buy books.  :(

I'll keep you in mind when I start ditching/replacing my David Weber books.  Almost all are in paperback, and they are reaching their "expiration date."  I'll mail you a stack when I discard them. 

Wish I had known earlier - I replaced all of my Hammers Slammers books when they reissued them on acid free paper.

airboy

That would be a game stopper for me.  US has more coal reserves than anyone.  And in a "mini ice age" it boggles the mind that even the liberals in the USA would not use coal during a near depression or a major conflict.

Toonces

Ok, I understand that money might be tight, but c'mon...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Ereader-ebook-reader/dp/B007HCCNJU/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1403572279&sr=1-5&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

$70 for a new Kindle Paperwhite and free Prime shipping.  Surely you can swing $70. 

My Kindle may be my most favoritest possession.  The amount of books you can get for it, for free, from the public domain is staggering and makes it worth the purchase price for that alone.  I very highly recommend it!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

OJsDad

Quote from: airboy on June 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PM

That would be a game stopper for me.  US has more coal reserves than anyone.  And in a "mini ice age" it boggles the mind that even the liberals in the USA would not use coal during a near depression or a major conflict.

Yep, it was stated in the beginning time line that the US

QuoteAmerican energy hunger sweeps away the last environmental concerns.  All possible energy sources are exploited.

vyshka

Quote from: Toonces on June 23, 2014, 08:14:51 PM

Ok, I understand that money might be tight, but c'mon...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Ereader-ebook-reader/dp/B007HCCNJU/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1403572279&sr=1-5&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

$70 for a new Kindle Paperwhite and free Prime shipping.  Surely you can swing $70. 

My Kindle may be my most favoritest possession.  The amount of books you can get for it, for free, from the public domain is staggering and makes it worth the purchase price for that alone.  I very highly recommend it!

That is not the paperwhite. Paperwhite shows a $119 price up above there. Not sure why the search brought that up.

MetalDog

@ Toonces:  I will admit, I do exaggerate.  But not by much.  $70 would constitute a big investment for me.  $119 I would have to save for.  And the funny thing is, even looking at all my expenditures for the month, there isn't much I could cut down.  Oh, sure, I could do without cable.  Or a cell phone, but, other than that, there's not much fat in the budget.  And just to be sure noone takes this as crying, 'poor pitiful me,' I like my life and the comfort level I am in.  I don't want for anything.  I eat well.  Have a roof over my head.  A job I like.  It's all good.

@ Airboy:  That's a generous offer, sir.  When the day comes that you have to take that route, look me up.  Heck, if the timing is right, I might even be able to meet you and pick them up.  We are neighbors, of a sort.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

I just finished Mirth's diary chapter named "I am the walrus".

2 choo's out of 5.  I just didn't see the need for a Godzilla costume when the core of the story was the waitress's daily drama.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

vyshka

Quote from: MetalDog on June 23, 2014, 09:29:54 PM
@ Toonces:  I will admit, I do exaggerate.  But not by much.  $70 would constitute a big investment for me.  $119 I would have to save for.  And the funny thing is, even looking at all my expenditures for the month, there isn't much I could cut down.  Oh, sure, I could do without cable.  Or a cell phone, but, other than that, there's not much fat in the budget.  And just to be sure noone takes this as crying, 'poor pitiful me,' I like my life and the comfort level I am in.  I don't want for anything.  I eat well.  Have a roof over my head.  A job I like.  It's all good.

@ Airboy:  That's a generous offer, sir.  When the day comes that you have to take that route, look me up.  Heck, if the timing is right, I might even be able to meet you and pick them up.  We are neighbors, of a sort.

If at some point you do  buy a kindle, the paperwhite is definitely worth the extra $.