What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I've got a boxed set of the original Foundation trilogy around here someplace.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 09:15:03 PM
I will always remember the first Foundation book I read. I think I read it in junior high.

Me 2.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

BanzaiCat

A friend of mine that volunteers at the Houston Public Library's warehouse sorts through tons of books every week, many of which get sold at their book sales or donated. Last week she grabbed for me all of these:

The Civil War book I used to have but got rid of it at some point, probably because it was so damn big. But I'm excited to have it back in the fold. Plus the others are pretty cool too - the FBI book is interesting just from flipping through it.

MetalDog

That's pretty sweet.  Wish I had a friend like that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

vyshka

I still haven't managed to finish the whole series, though I have them all. I've read Prelude, and Forward, as well as the original trilogy, but set it aside for some reason and haven't continued on with the rest yet. I noticed recently that you can get the whole series as 1 purchase on the kindle now. I think I will make that my goal for the rest of the year to go through the series.

MetalDog

Vyshka, my suggestion would be to read the originals first then fill in with Prelude and Forward.  I remember it being more satisfying that way.  Having said that, it's also the way they were published and Prelude and Forward hadn't been published when I read the first three.  So, ymmv.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 09:15:03 PM
I will always remember the first Foundation book I read. I think I read it in junior high.
I read the original trilogy in ninth grade at the recommendation of the librarian; changed my life.  They were the books that turned me onto sci-fi and (later) fantasy fiction. 

To this day, I make a point of reading the Foundation series (along with The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy) once a year.  I can't say that about any other book(s) I own. 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 27, 2014, 01:27:05 AM
I have to admit that Ive never gotten around to the Foundation series.
Do it.  If you have any liking for sci-fi at all, you owe it to yourself to read it at least once. 

Quote from: MetalDog on September 28, 2014, 10:56:34 AM
Vyshka, my suggestion would be to read the originals first then fill in with Prelude and Forward.  I remember it being more satisfying that way.  Having said that, it's also the way they were published and Prelude and Forward hadn't been published when I read the first three.  So, ymmv.
Seconded.  Read the Foundation novels in the order in which they were published, not the order in which they take place. 

And under absolutely no circumstances should you *ever* read the so-called second Foundation trilogy by Asimov's pals.  The 2nd and 3rd novels (Foundation and Chaos and Foundation's Triumph) were actually pretty decent, but unfortunately they suffer from being the fruit of the poisoned tree -- the first novel, Foundation's Fear<shudder>  If authors could be tried for crimes against literature, Gregory Benford would be swinging from a gibbet.  >:( 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TacticalWargames

Nearly finished German Army on the Western Front 1915 by Jack Sheldon, then I'm finished with that series so far. Though spoke to Jack last week and he is along way along with 'The German Army in the Spring Offensives of 1917 (Arras, Aisne and Champagne)' so that will be a def buy.

Also finished Vol2 Otherside of the Wire by Ralph Whitehead. Waiting on Vol 3 to be released.

Next on the list is The Stalingrad Cauldron by frank Ellis.

Gusington

I am about to start Vlad: The Last Confession by CC Humphreys, on Toonces recommendation.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Hmmph...I see something about to be read by Gus that is not a Ray Bradbury novel.

MetalDog

OOH, OOH!!  Martian Chronicles?!?!!?  I Sing the Body Electric???!!!!?!?!?!!?  Tell me!  Tell me!

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: MetalDog on September 29, 2014, 11:00:06 PM
OOH, OOH!!  Martian Chronicles?!?!!?  I Sing the Body Electric???!!!!?!?!?!!?  Tell me!  Tell me!

Quiet you!  You've got a book report due on the Flashman Papers.

MetalDog

Yes, teacher.  :(  And Starfury is bothering me.  He keeps talking while I am trying to do my work!

BanzaiCat

This thread is a real page-turner.