What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on March 15, 2015, 05:34:51 PM
it should come with a map or guide. But it's not badly written.

so should women.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

Was always a little surprised that no one tried to do a game on Glen Cook's the Black Company.  Couldn't be tactical, although with the new games like JTS Pike and Shot, you could try to make scenarios.
But a fantasy world could be really deep.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

I've read some Black Company too. The thing with Cook is that I always hope to like his work more than I actually do.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Not sure any of you have read them both to agree/disagree with my comparison, but, the Black Company books remind me of Roger Zelazny's Amber books.  What I mean is, I liked the first five Amber books much better than the next five.  I had a similar problem with Cook's Black Company.  It seemed as if both authors went to the well one too many times.  For comparisons sake, it doesn't even have to be those two authors.  It could be any who have a recognized set of characters and a break in time between the first series and the second.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

I know at least one friend who likes the Malleorean more than the Belegariad (not sure about spelling), to the point of choosing one set rather than the other when keeping books for a move across country.

And most people think Weis and Hickman managed to improve on Dragonlance with the Legends after the Chronicles -- though certainly everyone agrees they eventually went to that well too many times (arguably anything after Legends at all).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

And I would choose the Belgariad and Chronicles over the Malloreon and Legends.  What makes me most happy is that we have so many good books to choose from.  And even a decent book is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than a decent tv show.

JasonPratt

^^ Indeed.

(Though you're the first person I recall ever thinking the original trilogy was better than the sequel. Not that I can't see some reasons why, just unusual.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

It's not unusual to be flummoxed by MD.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 16, 2015, 06:53:38 PM
^^ Indeed.

(Though you're the first person I recall ever thinking the original trilogy was better than the sequel. Not that I can't see some reasons why, just unusual.)

I will admit, it's been fully twenty years since I read the Malloreon.  It may be that it is better than the Belgariad, which I see as a thinly veiled Lord of the Rings.  As for Dragonlance, Chronicles beats all!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Finished
A MURDER OF QUALITY.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

Not really digging Glen Cook's book either, I remember A Passage at Arms being better. I am 0 for 3 in my last three reads :( Next up is Terms of Enlistment by Cloos. Fingers crossed for that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I read the first two books in Cloos's series a few months back.  They were alright.  Kinda forgotten most of the details already.   

Gusington

Terms of Enlistment is the first one, right? Maybe I'll just put it on the back burner for now. Is it a quick read at least? The Dragon Never Sleeps is only 300 pages but they are 300 dense, sluggish pages :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Terms on Enlistment is the first one and it's pretty light.  I breezed through each one in a few days.  They're pretty standard sci-fi space grunt stuff.  I thought the second one was better than the first.  I haven't read the third one in the series. 

I kind of went on a military themed, hard sci-fi bender there for a while but I think I'm better now.  I think of the 5-6 different series I read, I liked the Star Carrier ones the best. 

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Strike-Star-Carrier-Book-ebook/dp/B0037B6QX4/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=08K58HVPV1X9JFWD46ZZ

Gusington

^Nice, thanks for that link.

The second one in Cloos' series looks pretty good too, I've had that in my Amazon cart for a while.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd