What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 18, 2016, 08:44:08 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 18, 2016, 06:27:10 AM
Have just begun re-reading Brandon Sanderson's fantastic Mistborn trilogy.  Am curious to see what clues I pick up on now that I know how it goes (although it's been a few years, so my memory's a bit foggy at this point).

I've never heard of that series. Now I'll have to add it to the crushing weight already on my virtual nightstand. Thanks.
You're welcome.  :D 

Fair warning, though:  Sanderson likes to play around with tropes (especially fantasy tropes) a good deal, including having characters lampshade them in-story.  He writes some great stories, but the trope-fiddling can be a bit off-putting unless/until you get used to it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just started: Shinsengumi - The Shogun's Last Samurai Corps by Romulus Hillsborough.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I should change my first name to Romulus.

mirth

Star should change his first name to Remus.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos.

I picked this up last weekend after my son recommended it. Four days later and I'm on the third book. It's solid, solid sci/fi and one of the best military sci/fi series I've ever read. Seriously, I can compare it to Starship Troopers or The Forever War with a straight face.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

I lack suckleable tits.

Steelie I read Terms of Enlistment last year, really liked it. I have Angles of Attack (book 2) ready to go while I play some Homeward Remastered. I've read that the third book is kind of weak...you disagree?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Sir Slash

How ironic. I suck lackable tits.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 06:44:40 PM
I lack suckleable tits.

Steelie I read Terms of Enlistment last year, really liked it. I have Angles of Attack (book 2) ready to go while I play some Homeward Remastered. I've read that the third book is kind of weak...you disagree?

I'm only about fifty pages into the third book so I don't have a real opinion yet, but so far so good. Angles of Attack is a must read if you enjoyed Terms.

Gusington

Slash I just spit my corn flakes all over the place, thanks.

Steelie some reviews said the third book is kinda dull and can be totally skipped over...4th book to be released in April IIRC.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Just looked up Terms of Enlistment. It looks like a good read.

Sir Slash

Sorry about your corn flakes Gus. Tell your wife I did it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Can Terms of Enlistment be read as a standalone piece?  I enjoy my military sci-fi, but have no desire to get caught up in a series that isn't finished yet. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces