Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

It is a game feature (done on purpose).
I even speed up time during the initial March and the pursuit of routing units.
I also put a 20 min limit because I lack time to play.

Fast resolution means more gaming goodness compressed in one typical evening session.
And a finish-able campaign.

Besides you can slow things down and use half speed if things get frantic.

sandman2575

Man, I have wasted what gaming time I've had today trying to get Rome II to work for me.  No joy.  Completely freezes a minute into any battle....

I know the haters are out in force on the TWCenter forums etc, but not all the reports of bugs, gfx issues and mysterious hardware incompatabilities are exaggerations, alas  >:(

Bison

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 03, 2013, 08:09:37 PM
Man, I have wasted what gaming time I've had today trying to get Rome II to work for me.  No joy.  Completely freezes a minute into any battle....

I know the haters are out in force on the TWCenter forums etc, but not all the reports of bugs, gfx issues and mysterious hardware incompatabilities are exaggerations, alas  >:(

This sucks man.  Hope you get it to work.

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on September 03, 2013, 07:38:11 PM
Hmmm, I hope my brand new BMW M7 with the dual spool turbo 600 hp engine with 500 Ft lbs of torque will go over 55mph... What do you guys think.

Heh. There's now scientific proof that BMW drivers are assholes...  8)

QuoteDrivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

source: http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

sandman2575

Quote from: Bison on September 03, 2013, 08:12:15 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 03, 2013, 08:09:37 PM

This sucks man.  Hope you get it to work.

thanks -- me too --

Bison, I thought I saw you were playing on a GTX 680 -- mind posting your other specs?  I'm playing on a GTX 680 too, using the 314.22 drivers.  I assume I must be having a hardware issue but since you're having no problems I'd love to know what your rig is for comparison.  (me:  i7 3770k, GTX 680 4GB, Win 7 x64, 16 GB RAM)

Bison

i5 3570K, 8 GB ram, and 64 bit Win7.

mikeck

Sandman, I hope you get it to work. I would bet that future patches will optimize a bit...of course, that doesn't help you now.

Problem with 1/2 speed is you lose sound
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on September 03, 2013, 08:00:53 PM

I do miss the forward, backward, side shift UI buttons to maneuver troops in the battlefield.

Yes, the buttons are missed, but you can still do this with the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on September 03, 2013, 08:29:08 PM

Problem with 1/2 speed is you lose sound

This does stink...wish they wouldn't have done that...

Bison

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2013, 08:35:39 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 03, 2013, 08:00:53 PM

I do miss the forward, backward, side shift UI buttons to maneuver troops in the battlefield.

Yes, the buttons are missed, but you can still do this with the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Thanks.  I didn't know this.

Gusington

I think I am about 3/4 of the way through the Prologue. Rome II has that same certain something...an elegance...that Shogun II has. Hard to describe it more than that. It makes me interested in the subject matter and definitely makes me want to play one more turn.

No crashes, no stutters. Maybe I will bump my graphics up to Ultra...my rig is almost two years old but is pretty beefy.

Still thinking Rome for my first real campaign. Anyone start a real campaign yet? This time out, unlike when Rome I was released, I think every faction holds some interest for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2013, 08:47:09 AM
A word of warning, however.  You may not want to bother sieging cities because the sieging army will take casualties every turn, and start getting hit with constant plague outbreaks that reduce your manpower even more.  While that's fine, there was one thing CA overlooked in implementing siege attrition:  The defenders in the city have no attrition at all!

There is a tech for grain storage in the second tier of the siege tree that reduces attrition rates by like 60%.

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on September 03, 2013, 09:12:07 PM
I think I am about 3/4 of the way through the Prologue. Rome II has that same certain something...an elegance...that Shogun II has. Hard to describe it more than that. It makes me interested in the subject matter and definitely makes me want to play one more turn.

I just lost Salernum to the AI.  I'm afraid to move on to a real campaign.

Gusington

Ouch. I have just been given the reigns in the Prologue and have been told to take Salernum. How does the Prologue end? Wiping out the Samnites altogether or is it more nuanced?

That said, the battles I fought, whether scripted or not, have all been 'close runs' meaning I won but with losses. Not sure how I will do in unscripted fights with my less than stellar tactical history.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on September 03, 2013, 09:31:48 PM
Ouch. I have just been given the reigns in the Prologue and have been told to take Salernum. How does the Prologue end? Wiping out the Samnites altogether or is it more nuanced?

That said, the battles I fought, whether scripted or not, have all been 'close runs' meaning I won but with losses. Not sure how I will do in unscripted fights with my less than stellar tactical history.

There is a Saminite town you have to take and hold.  I haven't gotten that far yet.  I've spent a lot of time reading the in game encyclopedia and tools tips for various features.