Total war pharaoh - coming October

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 23, 2023, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 09, 2023, 07:10:02 AMAny links? Total War is beloved by me since Shogun, but I have not seen any of what the ex devs have said.

The last TW that I really enjoy is Attila. I find myself playing the older games a lot.

Right now I am getting smacked around in an Arthurian: Total War campaign based on the Rome: TW Definitive Edition.

Like others posted, it is sad that everything is crumbling for CA.

But for us as grogs...there is Manor Lords coming next April 😎

Well...Pharaoh total war is a mess, but kind of intriguing in an how about a biopsy or something kind of way.
I'm not even going to go into what is obviously absurdly bad, but I'll note a few fun things and its only 39.99 on steam and there's a lot of cool things that are well...never going to really be seen much.
For one thing, you can be a Hittite:

rss334

$14 dollars on c d k e y s - no hesitation.   I see the price is still the same today and it's been 20+ days ago, I have yet to play it as I'm working my way through other games, but it's in my library with 20 other un-played games :(   

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Sea Peoples!

Termie isn't impressed tho...

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 18, 2024, 10:51:01 PMSea Peoples!

Yeah, this is yet another end of the line for Total War.  I don't see how you can mess up the End of the Bronze Age as a topic but this is a textbook case of turning interesting possibilities into pure crap and then piling on some more pure crap just to make sure everybody knows you did it on purpose.

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 18, 2024, 10:51:01 PMSea Peoples!

Termie isn't impressed tho...

Thanks Mr Pratt. Interesting stuff. I am with Meng on this. I am super interested in the history of this period. But just could not bring myself to scatch that itch in a modern total war game. Because I know a total war game will just be a skin job with a horrible tactical mode.

Not total war, but as you can see. But I can make my units out without too much trouble.
Why? Because the unit detail does not get shredded as I zoom out like it does in total war.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Well, maybe Termie's opinion will improve after the Sea Peoples... um......

...arrive.  :HideEyes:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I wonder if this is the end of the road for Pharaoh...I selfishly hope so. If it is I hope CA can recover and successfully turn the page. It has been a rough time for them and fans.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 27, 2024, 10:13:17 AMI wonder if this is the end of the road for Pharaoh...I selfishly hope so. If it is I hope CA can recover and successfully turn the page. It has been a rough time for them and fans.

Well, I had given up on them until the Shogun II came along.  Then I went back.  Rome II was great.  And then they went downhill pretty fast.

Grim.Reaper

Not sure why we would wish for the end especially for people who bought so I hope it still lives:)

Gusington

Because there are not too many of you, and the Pharaoh era for CA has been an unmitigated disaster.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2024, 12:25:34 AMBecause there are not too many of you, and the Pharaoh era for CA has been an unmitigated disaster.
Not the era, the implimentation. The implimentation appeals to non-grogs. More role play dungeons and dragons kinda people. Bring on scourge of war remastered. I am dying for some army action beyond the tabletop and beyond the old tired total war strategy map.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2024, 12:25:34 AMBecause there are not too many of you, and the Pharaoh era for CA has been an unmitigated disaster.

Gotcha.

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 27, 2024, 12:20:47 PMNot sure why we would wish for the end especially for people who bought so I hope it still lives:)

I think for games that actually make something interesting and fun out of moderately intricate historical situations like the end of the Bronze Age or the Fall of the Western Empire or the Nine-years war or what have you, one has to give up on going along with the ways that big games try to court the mindless dudebros that make up a big chunk of the gaming population, dude.  I mean bro, there's no way to make a game about the Hittites or the Mitani that these dudes can even stomach for a few minutes, bro.  Dude, even something like Hell Let Loose seems to suffer from
a weird dose of dudebro usage.
  i think one's historical options are limited to smaller, less heavily funded games or board games or the day when building intricate games gets easy enough for me to manage in my old age -- which could be fairly soon if I survive for a bit, bro.

Toonces

Isn't one of the big good deals of these games that the modders can usually fix this up to what the community wants?

I mean, in a perfect world, CA would just make the game everyone wants.  But, from a glass half full perspective, at least they provide the heavy lifting so that the modders can make the proper game.

Am I making sense?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs