Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Technically there may have been a few Western troops on the ground in the Soviet Union when the panzers rolled, but they would have been up in Arkhangelsk with the convoys or maybe down in the Caucasus at the end of the rail line from the Middle East (though I'm not sure that was constructed yet). Stalin didn't want any western military outside of special chaperoned envoys, to cut down on spying inside the USSR (and the guests got curtailed even more between the Ribbentrop Pact and Barbie). But some sailors might have been on shore for leave. I'm not sure about the supply ship status up north when the trigger was pulled.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

And Sweden joined NATO tonight, with a welcome from Pres Biden at the Union Address.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2024, 03:03:18 PMConfirmed...British troops on ground operating in Ukraine.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-troops-operating-ground-ukraine-141854342.html

...but, wait, there's more...France, Netherlands, Lithuania, and Canada have publicly stated that they were considering sending combat troops to Ukraine while also threatening to attack Russian infrastructure and cities.  Furthermore, German transmissions discussing the use of long-range missiles to target Crimea were also leaked.

Talk about a massive escalation.

Not sure why this is a big deal, someone had to teach the Ukrainians to use the storm shadows and chally tanks.  Pretty sure they were also helping with intelligence and targeting.  Not really a big deal.  Case you forgot, there were Iranians operating shaheed drones in Ukraine, some were confirmed killed.  And I'm pretty sure US advisers were helping Britain and russsia before December 7, 1941.  Also, the flying tigers/ AVG ?

GDS_Starfury

something something SAM-2 sites in North Vietnam....
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2024, 11:29:59 PMAnd Sweden joined NATO tonight, with a welcome from Pres Biden at the Union Address.

:Hug:
https://twitter.com/tweetforAnna/status/1765837094285406227

What... He (the PM) actually is smiling. I denounce this nonsense. You just don't make public speeches while smiling, ever. IF you want to show emotions post a meme dammit :TimeOut:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 07, 2024, 05:45:18 PMffs lets just get it over with already
I agree. Call this ****'s bluff and get in there. Fuck living under the boot of this wanker.

I know what that potentially means. I know it sounds like I'm taking that lightly - I'm not. But the alternative is to live under the threat of nuclear armageddon for the rest of our lives...and really, where's the point of NATO, the UN or any other of these international organisations if we're being handicapped by threats.
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 08, 2024, 03:32:51 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 07, 2024, 05:45:18 PMffs lets just get it over with already
I agree. Call this ****'s bluff and get in there. Fuck living under the boot of this wanker.

I know what that potentially means. I know it sounds like I'm taking that lightly - I'm not. But the alternative is to live under the threat of nuclear armageddon for the rest of our lives...and really, where's the point of NATO, the UN or any other of these international organisations if we're being handicapped by threats.

Especially as what the Ukrainians have asked all along is that give us weapons and we will do the fighting. As everyone and their dog has mentioned from the beginning, the price for stopping Putin only increases. It would have been easier to do so yesterday, but to do it today will be less than what it will take tomorrow. 
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Macron draws his line in the sand.  any advance toward Odessa or Kiev will bring French troops into play.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

Guess I'll go ahead and buy that Rolex.  Can't take the money with you.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Is there a link out there on what Macron said about French troops? This is getting...interesting-er  :shocked:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29194  also https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/07/world/europe/ukraine-france-macron-nato.html

Who would have thunk that JudgeDredd has so much pull with the French President.  Is he a Stuart?

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 08, 2024, 09:04:06 AMIs there a link out there on what Macron said about French troops? This is getting...interesting-er  :shocked:

Don't know, but France has backed disengagements in Georgia and Texas and Moldovia:

France and Moldova have signed a security cooperation agreement amid threats from Russia, announces French President Emmanuel Macron.

The agreement on defense cooperation between Moldova and France was signed during President Maia Sandu's visit to Paris.

The defense ministers of Moldova and France signed the document. According to Macron, such an agreement envisages "the opening in the coming months of a permanent defense mission in Chisinau." The President has added that this is just the first step.

MengJiao

Quote from: Uberhaus on March 08, 2024, 09:21:57 AMhttps://www.kyivpost.com/post/29194  also https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/07/world/europe/ukraine-france-macron-nato.html

Who would have thunk that JudgeDredd has so much pull with the French President.  Is he a Stuart?

I think Macron's theory is that if you pour on enough definite support for Ukraine, the Russians will see
the whole thing (whatever it is...and has what the Russians actually want ever been clarified?) isn't working and they will stop doing whatever it is they think they are doing (which is pretty unclear except for attacking the Ukraine in curiously mindless way).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Crossroads on March 08, 2024, 04:52:20 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 08, 2024, 03:32:51 AM

Especially as what the Ukrainians have asked all along is that give us weapons and we will do the fighting. As everyone and their dog has mentioned from the beginning, the price for stopping Putin only increases. It would have been easier to do so yesterday, but to do it today will be less than what it will take tomorrow. 

Ok, but what happens when there are no more Ukrainians left to do the fighting? Guns, ammunition and equipment alone will not win this war. That is an accepted fact.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-outnumbered-outgunned-ground-down-by-relentless-russia-2024-02-21/

...it seems to me that some of you are suggesting that an actual nuclear war is preferable to the prospect of living with the threat of one. Is this what you're actually saying?

Whoever thought I would be the sole voice of reason!?  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Wow - thanks for all of the above. Renews my faith while stoking my fear of escalation at the same time  :shocked: 

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd