Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2015, 12:02:54 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 10, 2015, 11:34:42 AM
I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the Lakon Type 6. It flies like a pregnant cow and it really hasn't helped me get the kind of profit I was hoping it would yet. Granted, I haven't really tried any heavy trading with it yet. I'll give it a good chance before I go back to something smaller and deadlier.

Seriously? This was my next goal

Btw did you see the fer de lance in the newsletter?

I'm not really sure how to outfit it. I have sold both stock pulse lasers and do not plan on replacing them with anything. I have two point defense systems and no other hard point modules. I have upgraded my FSD and thrusters, added a fuel scoop and increased all possible medium slots to 16 ton cargo holds, but I still only have 68 tons of haulage which is less than I had hoped. I know it can carry 100 tons, but it seems to do this, I would have to lose the fuel scoop and the shield generator. I just don't feel comfortable flying through space with no shields and certainly not having a scoop is going to hurt my endurance. There are some really though decisions that have to be made when kitting out ships in this game.

I have seen the fer de lance. Looks really awesome, but I don't think it's going to be a real wealth generator. It seems geared more toward bounty hunting and combat than anything else. Could be a good luxury replacement for the cobra though. Wonder how much it will cost. Without seeing specs, my guess is in the 3,000,000 to 4,000,000 credit range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 07:27:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:31:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2015, 05:27:25 PM
On your galaxy map check the system data for each system you're going through, it will show you the stations if present and if you haven't been there or it's not up to date the worst it will cost you is 100 for each systems report

This is the kind of stuff that should be present in the UI. 

I would hope they have some map filter that can show you where the inter-planetary gas stations are without having to dig through each one separately.  It's not like you're going down the road to granny's house! 

Space is very cold.. when you run out of gas!   :P

The galaxy and system maps are brilliant and more than capable of assisting travelers in safely navigating space. Players just have to use their brains and pay attention.

Does it have such a filter?  I saw that it had various kinds but I didn't know if it had them for refueling stations.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on January 10, 2015, 02:45:57 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 07:27:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:31:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2015, 05:27:25 PM
On your galaxy map check the system data for each system you're going through, it will show you the stations if present and if you haven't been there or it's not up to date the worst it will cost you is 100 for each systems report

This is the kind of stuff that should be present in the UI. 

I would hope they have some map filter that can show you where the inter-planetary gas stations are without having to dig through each one separately.  It's not like you're going down the road to granny's house! 

Space is very cold.. when you run out of gas!   :P

The galaxy and system maps are brilliant and more than capable of assisting travelers in safely navigating space. Players just have to use their brains and pay attention.

Does it have such a filter?  I saw that it had various kinds but I didn't know if it had them for refueling stations.

if you filter by economy then those systems with no colour assigned are lifeless ones

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 10, 2015, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2015, 12:02:54 PM
I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the Lakon Type 6. It flies like a pregnant cow and it really hasn't helped me get the kind of profit I was hoping it would yet. Granted, I haven't really tried any heavy trading with it yet. I'll give it a good chance before I go back to something smaller and deadlier.

Seriously? This was my next goal

Btw did you see the fer de lance in the newsletter?

I'm not really sure how to outfit it. I have sold both stock pulse lasers and do not plan on replacing them with anything. I have two point defense systems and no other hard point modules. I have upgraded my FSD and thrusters, added a fuel scoop and increased all possible medium slots to 16 ton cargo holds, but I still only have 68 tons of haulage which is less than I had hoped. I know it can carry 100 tons, but it seems to do this, I would have to lose the fuel scoop and the shield generator. I just don't feel comfortable flying through space with no shields and certainly not having a scoop is going to hurt my endurance. There are some really though decisions that have to be made when kitting out ships in this game.

I have seen the fer de lance. Looks really awesome, but I don't think it's going to be a real wealth generator. It seems geared more toward bounty hunting and combat than anything else. Could be a good luxury replacement for the cobra though. Wonder how much it will cost. Without seeing specs, my guess is in the 3,000,000 to 4,000,000 credit range.

a hard core extra large viper ive always seen it as

with regards to the '6', i think it has to be viewed as a grown up hauler, and most people strip them of everything but cargo hold

GDS_Starfury

this is a rule that Ive stuck to in WoT and it might help you here.
i run 300 matches and then make a decision about the tank.
its let me see some real gems that needed a bit of work to get to.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

So I'm making some money now. 2 hours play and about 20,000cr. I'm no Donald Trump - but that's a good thing tbh. I'm at about 50,000cr (whoopppaaaaa!)  :))

A couple of things

• This game needs to stop resetting your view when you come out of system view in the galaxy map...imo of course...
    I am totally thrown with the map anyway - it's complicated and vast and I get why but I'm finding it easy to get lost...so when I am moving through the Galaxy map and I look at a system, I do NOT need the galaxy map view to default back to where I am AND facing a completely different direction.
    Just put a button on the Galaxy map that says "Back to location" and add another that says "Back to Location and Keep orientation"...so that when I do press that second button, it takes me back to my current location but also keeps me facing the way I was looking
  • Trade Data - when you purchase it - wth does it do? I bought some trade data (300cr worth for 3 systems) and didn't see a difference anywhere on the map
  • This spot is reserved - there was something else, but I can't remember what it was

That is all - dismissed  :)
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

buying trade data fills in the import/export section - it lets you know what they buy and sell and from where - im not 100% sure on its reliability

Yskonyn

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 11, 2015, 05:14:34 AM
buying trade data fills in the import/export section - it lets you know what they buy and sell and from where - im not 100% sure on its reliability

It also enables you to see the colored filter lines, showing flow of a commodity between systems.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was hoping the trade data would be more detailed myself.  I keep taking missions to go and fetch a specific commodity (the last was auto-fabricators) but more often than not, I can't find a system that sells them before time runs out.

I think I should stick to surveying.  I can point my nose at things and sell that info to idiots 20ly away for 3-4k a pop?  Sign me up! 

I ran into a deadly wanted guy in a big freighter type thing and thought it'd be some easy creds.  I was wrong!  The damned thing had turrets and they ripped my canopy wide open in short order.  That was a rather tense bit of piloting to escape this guy, super cruise to a station, and dock before the O2 ran out.  Especially since the canopy glass was gone so there was no HUD to use when trying to see where the orbital station was when I was cruising towards it.  Landed and repaired with 1:49 to spare.

Another 20k or so and I should be able to get a Cobra Mk III.  I think I'll make the room lights dark green for that one when I fly.  Dunno why.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 11, 2015, 08:21:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 11, 2015, 05:14:34 AM

It also enables you to see the colored filter lines, showing flow of a commodity between systems.
I don't think that's the case Yskonyn. I'm certain I checked that before posting...I selected a system which had the "Buy Trade Data" enabled...and I'm positive I was seeing the coloured line before I bought the trade data.

I'll have another look to check
Alba gu' brath

republic

Well I traded in my Cobra for a Lakon 6.  I'm officially a Space trucker.  Its not maxed out with cargo, but I have it up to 100 tons.

Republic's Random Space Trucker Tips:

#1 - Upgrade internal components to the lightest version rather than the most powerful version.  You'll gain lightyears of jump distance and drastically reduce your time from point A to B.  Usually each component will have a marginally better version with a much lower weight.

10-4 good buddy.  Over and out.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: republic on January 11, 2015, 10:01:18 AM
Well I traded in my Cobra for a Lakon 6.  I'm officially a Space trucker.  Its not maxed out with cargo, but I have it up to 100 tons.

Republic's Random Space Trucker Tips:

#1 - Upgrade internal components to the lightest version rather than the most powerful version.  You'll gain lightyears of jump distance and drastically reduce your time from point A to B.  Usually each component will have a marginally better version with a much lower weight.

10-4 good buddy.  Over and out.

You ccan you please post specifically which modules you have installed? How did you get your cargo capacity up to 100T?  What modules have you sacrificed?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

republic

You can replace each cargo unit with a much larger unit right from the start.  The 16s can be swapped with 32s and so on.  You can get it even higher if you ditch the discovery scanner and put a 2ton bay there.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: republic on January 11, 2015, 12:19:25 PM
You can replace each cargo unit with a much larger unit right from the start.  The 16s can be swapped with 32s and so on.  You can get it even higher if you ditch the discovery scanner and put a 2ton bay there.

No $hit? I hadn't even looked at the 16 ton bays. I thought that was the max! Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog