Five Ways D-Day Might Have Ended in Disaster

Started by DicedT, June 05, 2014, 10:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GDS_Starfury

not bad at all.  I think the Germans not throwing in everything they could have with the Luftwaffe was their biggest actionable mistake.  if they really contested the skies they would have been chewed to pieces but that would have left the ground forces enough freedom of maneuver to actually get where they wanted go and make a difference.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I seriously doubt the Luftwaffe would have accomplished much even with a maximum effort. It was a spent force by June 44 and in no way capable of challenging Allied air superiority.

QuoteDuring the June 6 D-Day assault itself, a total of 171 squadrons of British and AAF fighters undertook a variety of tasks in support of the invasion.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/AAF-H-DDay/

The Luftwaffe gave a maximum effort during Bodenplatte, put up some 800-900 fighters, caught the Allies flat-footed, and accomplished squat. And it cost them a large number of their remaining veteran pilots.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

I didnt say they would accomplish much.  I just think they could have distracted allied air enough for their armor to get forward.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 06, 2014, 10:01:23 AM
I didnt say they would accomplish much.  I just think they could have distracted allied air enough for their armor to get forward.

And I'm sceptical it would have allowed them to do that much. Rommel was correct, the armor needed to be forward to begin with.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SgtRock

The Western Wall took 6 years to build but, only 6 hours to penetrate. The only thing that could have stopped the D-Day invasions was mother nature. If allied aircraft couldn't fly and German Armor was at the front, the allies would have had a tough time. The biggest failing of the D-Day invasions was the lack of planing on what to do after the beaches were taken but, with Hitler in charge the Germans didn't have a chance.

By June 1944 the Luftwaffe was dispersed all over the place because most of it's forward airfields were destroyed, they just couldn't operate in force to make any difference. The allies where conducting multiple 1000 plane raids, the Luftwaffe was operating in small groups of 3 to 10 aircraft at a time.

bayonetbrant

I think the article reasonably notes that - although D-Day / Operation Overlord might have ended in disaster, the war overall was already lost for Germany at that point.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2014, 11:52:27 AM
I think the article reasonably notes that - although D-Day / Operation Overlord might have ended in disaster, the war overall was already lost for Germany at that point.

Agreed, but that's not going to stop me from arguing with Star ;)

GDS_Starfury