Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

I tried it as well using the default keys... after a few tries I think the default setup works well.  I think he has done an excellent job on this system and thus far I would not play without it.

PE

Toonces

On a separate note, I almost had my first rage quit last night ever.  I was this close (holds up thumb and finger about one inch apart).

I was playing on the KotH server, the US1 server.  Two rounds back to back.  First round I went BLUEFOR because they actually had decent numbers for a change.  Now I see why nobody goes BLUEFOR.  It was rookie night like I've never seen.  I think I got in about 6 consecutive helicopters that different drivers crashed into the ground.  It was maddening.  Finally after the sixth I changed teams and played out the rest of the round.

Immediately following that round I went OPFOR.  At the conclusion of the previous round I had finally earned enough cash and rank to get a new gun.  I settled on the Katiba again because I need to get higher rank to get the machine gun I really want.  So I'm stoked to try out this new gun, but it is a complete repeat of the previous round except, instead of the drivers just sucking, this time INDY has us completely capped.  I mean thoroughly.  They weren't spawn-camping exactly because they weren't on our spawn.  But every single time, every time, we got to about 1.0km from the objective an A-10 or that Ka-50 looking helo would shoot us down.  Over and over and over.  And I'd get back in the helo and tell the driver, "Go in high so we can eject out when you start getting shot at." and every time they'd go in on the deck and get shot down and be so low that there was no opportunity to eject.

Then guys got cute and tried to land and we'd be running in and they had the ground completely suppressed.  I'd finally successfully get off the helo and within seconds get shot, usually without even seeing my killer.  I'll bet I had 25 deaths in that round easy.  I didn't even get off a round from my new Katiba for at least a half hour. 

I have never been that frustrated in a game in my life. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jack Nastyface

Toonces...I hear you.  My death - kills ratio was 22 - 2 last night.  Was this on the HC server?  At one point, it seemed like the whole AO was covered by tank, GMG, HMG, Pawnee and A-10 fire.  I tried to tell any heli pilot who would listen "can we try a different ingress this time?" but got no joy.  At one point, I even switched over to sniper / marksman (a role I hate playing) and figured I would go and see where some of the lighter AFV's / IFV's where located, and no sooner had I dismounted my quad when I get whacked from over 900 meters from a gmg.
As a result of this, I am now playing almost only the HC Infantry servers.  At least a guy stands a chance on those.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jarhead0331

Is it possible for a group of us to connect together? I know its difficult with all the time differences, but I would really feel more comfortable dabbling in MP with people I know will be mature and "professional".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2015, 01:47:40 PM
Is it possible for a group of us to connect together? I know its difficult with all the time differences, but I would really feel more comfortable dabbling in MP with people I know will be mature and "professional".

Jarhead,

The Dogs of War has 3 servers running.  One is an Insurgency server, The other is Running Hearts and Minds... the new third is an ultra realism server with no re-spawn.  I have played on the first 2 servers, the third is new.  Maybe we can met up with some of the guys and play, there is a regular session on Friday's and it may expand.

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?board=21.0

PE

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on August 13, 2015, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Jarhead,

The Dogs of War has 3 servers running.  One is an Insurgency server, The other is Running Hearts and Minds... the new third is an ultra realism server with no re-spawn.  I have played on the first 2 servers, the third is new.  Maybe we can met up with some of the guys and play, there is a regular session on Friday's and it may expand.

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?board=21.0

PE

Nice...I had no idea you guys played anything other than SB.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

I'd be willing to try DoW.  There isn't any easy way to meet up on the KotH servers because they're usually max capacity and then getting on the same team can be troublesome if the numbers aren't balanced.

@ Jack: Yes, it was the US#1 server I'm pretty sure.  It was both dusk and night when these incidents occurred.

Last night was much better.  I played on infantry only Vila and got hooked up with a guy called USER who took me up in the Ghosthawk and let me gun for a couple of hours.  I was probably looking at a 20k payoff at the end of the round but then the server crashed.  :(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Swatter

Has the game editor improved much in the last year? I remember creating some pretty reactive maps in ArmA 2.

I wouldn't mind hosting a game where I play the OPFOR against several players. I could even add some scripts where each player can recruit a few squad mates. Would there be any interest in that?

Toonces

@ Swatter:  I Googled some of the stuff posted above.

Hearts and Minds sounds interesting.  I don't know anything other than what Google can provide. 

jomni

First time playing KotH for the whole day yesterday and it was enjoyable.  It is a bit more fast paced and action packed than other game modes because there's only one objective for three factions that's only 2.5km away.  But it seems like everyone is a sniper.  And that forces me to buy the Sniper DLC.  Which I'm not ready to buy yet (waiting for next sale).

Jarhead0331

I've been focusing almost exclusively on learning to pilot helos. I'm getting really good with the Ghosthawk. I can control my landings very accurately now and am starting to really get the hang of it.

Only problem I've been having is that sometimes when I go into the control options menu mid-flight, the game stops detecting my HOTAS all together and I have exit and reload the game. This is a new problem that I have never experienced before. No idea if it is hardware or software related.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Every time a KotH game ends, the game disconnects and messes up my internet.  Is this common?

MikeGER

you guys got me doing a ARMA 3 (UI, keyboard, etc) revisit / familiarization last eve  O0
...to be halfway ready to go when we will hopefully all play together one day night, probably at 3am-ish here  ;)

i hadn't touched ARMA for a long long time (which is a sin!) , mostly because my GPU at that time was not ready for the task in dense city environment and esp. while airborne ... well, those days are over now with the 970card (now the CPU is the tiny tiny bottleneck :-[ )

i looked for that DOW Hearts and Mind server but couldn't find it, how is it named correctly in the browser?
...lets see the ping time from Europe.   

Toonces

@ Jomni-
Not sure what you mean by sniper DLC.  You can buy sniper kit in game (with virtual money on the KotH server) by acquiring the Marksman perk.  There are several nice sniper rifles/scope combos in the $35k range. 

Having built up a second character from scratch again, I recommend buying the second perk slot for $10k before you go crazy on new gear. 

Once again the Katiba really seems to be a nice mid-range all-around weapon.  I'm getting twice as many kills now as I was with that starter POS gun with the 5.56 rounds. 

But anyway, you don't need the official Marksman DLC to buy sniper gear on KotH, just FYI.

@ Jomni again-
My internet doesn't disconnect after a round, but if I try to log onto a full server and get kicked it does lock up the screen where you search for servers.  It can take a couple of refreshes to get it working right again.  I've seen this reported on the forums so it's a common problem.

Toonces

I'm really enjoying the helos in ARMA 3.  Admittedly I'm only using the simple flight model, but that's still challenging enough for me.

I've never flown a real helo so I can't comment on realism, but I can say that they all fly and handle very differently.  I was flying the Little Bird one for a few hours one night on KotH and had a pretty good handle on putting it where I wanted.  I switched to a Ghosthawk for a change and tried the same maneuvers I had been doing in the Little Bird and put the Ghosthawk right into the dirt, killing everyone I was carrying.  You can really feel the difference in weight and inertia between the helos, and they each require a different flying approach.