Main Menu

An Anthem thread

Started by Jarhead0331, February 16, 2019, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2019, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 19, 2019, 11:43:22 AM
You do not have to wait for another player to repair or revive you. You can choose to respawn immediately. I'm not sure whether there is some incentive to wait or not.

Hmm, really?  From what I've seen on Twitch (and my experience of the demo) anything of any importance always happens in "respawn restricted" zones.

It is true that certain story missions and contracts have parts where respawn is restricted, but free play and world events generally do not have any of these restrictions. I have never had any situation where I was caught in a restricted zone and had to wait for someone to repair my Javelin.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 19, 2019, 01:53:49 PM

I have never had any situation where I was caught in a restricted zone and had to wait for someone to repair my Javelin.

I thought you were married.  You're a lucky guy.

I know after ten years I get put in a restricted zone pretty often, and the wait on javelin repair is longer and longer each year.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

She probably said "short and sweet".

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bobarossa on February 19, 2019, 05:18:31 PM
She probably said "short and sweet".

Half of that describes Gus. 

Really anything halved describes Gus.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

glen55

Well, it's only $15 to sign up to the Origin service for a month and get to check this thing out. As much of a Bioware fanboi as I have already been, and as much pleasure as the company has given me, I at least owe them that.

About 2 hours in:

Skeptical I will keep the subscription after a month, but at least I'm going to play some more before the month expires. Flying is WAY COOL, but ... there's not much more that grabbed me. Visuals are nice, I guess. The shooter combat is OK, but not as good as Destiny, and the setting is utterly unengaging. I don't know who I am, why I'm there, what I'm trying to do, or why the other people in this base (which exists because reasons) are friendly to me and give me a mech to run around and do missions in. There's a vague back-story about how "freelancers" (what I am) used to be great heroes, but now they're not because reasons. Which doesn't explain why we have this base and what we're doing with it.

Plus the load times are a real pain. Maybe that will get better a couple weeks out from launch.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

A pretty large update hit today. It made some positive UI changes and drastically improved public matchmaking for missions. Definitely a step in the right direction there...however, still has some offputtingly long load times.

I have 12 hours in this and I'm about to unlock my 3rd Javelin. It's been a very pleasant distraction while I await the release of the DCS F-14.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Does the game run on Windows 7?

I noticed the requirements state you need Windows 10 (yuck), but I have been able to fully play the demo on my Win 7 rig.

Tpek

Got the game and it works fine on my Win 7 rig.

I unlocked the Ranger as my first Javelin, I like its all-rounder capabilities and it seems like a good starter Javelin as well.

Yskonyn

About 5 hours in now.
Unlocked my second Jav and the game starts to open up a bit more now.
I am having a blast!

The game does have some annoying things; teleport to group when falling behind is a big one for me. As well as the fairly long loading times. Also you cannot quickstart a mission when playing solo and running around in Tarsis, while you can in a fireteam.

But nonetheless I think its great game! Missions are fun, graphics and sound is awesome, flying is badass, combat system with combo's and elemental dmg features is fun.
Gunplay is not a sharp as in Destiny , but I guess Anthem should be seen more as a third person action game while destiny is a pure shooter.

Looking fwd to playing more.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tpek

Well, this game, while fun, certainly has its share of bugs.
I've had several disconnects during the Freeroam mode (which for some reason forces to you to "team-up" with other people), had the bug where at the end of the mission you get sent to the "Launch Bay" and cannot leave it without restarting the game, and had my Legion of Dawn edition items disappear and apparently also require a restart to get back.

It's still a kinda fun game, easy mode is truly easy (at least for me) and I can easily solo the mission with it.

I'd try out playing in a group but would rather avoid annoying randos.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on February 22, 2019, 08:22:24 PM
Well, this game, while fun, certainly has its share of bugs.
I've had several disconnects during the Freeroam mode (which for some reason forces to you to "team-up" with other people), had the bug where at the end of the mission you get sent to the "Launch Bay" and cannot leave it without restarting the game, and had my Legion of Dawn edition items disappear and apparently also require a restart to get back.

It's still a kinda fun game, easy mode is truly easy (at least for me) and I can easily solo the mission with it.

I'd try out playing in a group but would rather avoid annoying randos.

One thing I can say is that playing public games is 100% absolutely the way to go. You get twice as much experience points for completing missions and killing enemies. You also get much better loot. Playing solo will be a major grind. Also, the way the system works, there is no communication really, other then with animations. No talking, no typing. I have had absolutely no negative experiences playing with other players. I am a solidly single player gamer. This may be the only game on the planet I prefer playing cooperatively.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Another nice update today. Some of the load times are noticeably shorter...some.

Also, matchmaking seems to be much better too.

18 hours in and still having a blast...story still sucks too...hard to believe this is the same studio that gave us KOTOR and Mass Effect. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog